we just won our first conference series this yr

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: we just won our first conference series this yr

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:01 am

Even the most "ignorant" of fans understand that losing to programs like PC, UNC-A, and G-W is not a good thing for our program. While some of those programs have some top talent, it is not unreasonable to expect a competitive SoCon program to win more of those games than they lose. And that simply isn't happening in our case (at least not this year) and it's one reason why there are so many negative opinions about the current state of the program.
Like many on here, I played baseball at WoCo. I understand the nature of mid-week games and the strategy that goes into saving your pitching for the upcoming conference weekend series, as well as the reality that programs that seem to be or should be inferior many times are not when one of their top 3 or 4 arms is on the mound. However, losses like those sap what little enthusiasm there may be for the program and hurts team morale as well. As I have said many times before, it is unreasonable to expect at our current level that we will win more conference games than we lose. But all some of us are looking for is relative competitiveness in the conference and winning games against the perceived lesser foes. That is not happening IMO for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is financial support.
Here's to HOPE and CHANGE (as in funding).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06 am

For those that think football should be fully funded FIRST because it is a revenue sport, think again.
The August 29, 2008 issue of the Spartanburg Journal using sourses from the US Dept. of Education printed a report on the "Ins and Outs of Football".
Wofford ONLY lost $326,351.00 in football.South Carolina made 28Million, Clemson made 19Million, Citadel made 500K, Furman made 295K. ALL other schools in the state broke even or lost money.

So as Natural said in one of his posts, why does baseball have 4 scholarships and football get a full load? Why is there a football player on the baseball team on a full football ride when he has never played a down in three years.
That money given to baseball could bring in 2 pitchers or 4 position players.
What we need at Wofford is a hugh fundraising effort to raise the 30million or so that it would take to fully fund ALL sports that we compete in.
Wofford needs to let everyone know what money goes into each sport and what the other teams in the conference get!!!
Why hide the truth. Wofford fans would be sick to their stomachs if they knew how underfunded we were in all sports except football!!!!
Wouldn't we all love to have teams able to win the titles each year?
If we were funded properly we could REALLY hold coaches accountable for their wins and losses and attitudes, etc.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby jackiewalnuts on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:13 pm

Reggie,
"wofford football is not as good as everyone thinks. when is the last time that we have beaten a bcs team in that sport? baseball and basketball do it at least once a year"
This does not happen because we only play one or two maximum BCS teams a year because we are in a different division. In addition, the teams we play are typical powerhouses because of our unusual offense there are very few mid-majors with the exception of Ohio who will play us. Also, football is the sport where talent wins out more often than not compared to baseball, where teams are able to throw an ace on a midweek game against a number 4-5 for the BCS team. Baseball's BCS wins are not quite as prevalent as your skewed history may have you believe. This year we've beaten Pitt in their first series outdoor. Granted, they are ranked number 24 in the nation so that was a solid win. Last year, our lone BCS win was Carolina, who probably had the weakest pitching staff, in terms of depth, that Tanner has ever had. In 08, we did not beat a BCS team. I do not have the O7 schedule, but I do know we beat a Tennessee team that did not qualify for the SEC tournament.

Also from you
"oh and by the way
watching our football team play a game is like watching a track meet. i cant remember the last time that we had a qb that could throw the ball more than 15 yards, or a kicker that could actually make a 25 yard field goal on a regular basis. but i digress..."
O7 FIELD GOALS FGM-FGA Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Lg Blk
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Patrick Mugan 9-12 75.0 0-0 6-6 3-3 0-3 0-0 32 0

08 FIELD GOALS Made-Att Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Long Blkd
Patrick Mugan 7-9 77.8 0-0 3-3 3-5 1-1 0-0 43 0

09FIELD GOALS Made-Att Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Long Blkd
Chris Tommie 0-1 0.0 0-0 0-0 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0
Christian Reed 5-7 71.4 0-0 2-2 2-2 1-3 0-0 42 1

There goes that theory.
The stats I've found do not have 20 yard completions, but I'd be willing to bet Josh Collier, Mitch Allen, and Ben Widmeyer all had the ability to throw a 20 yard pass.
WOCOBaseball,
The reason no team from the SoCon goes to a bowl game in football is because they are in the Football Championship division, formally known as NCAA- DIAA, where the post season is a playoff. Last years team was not up to par and you are correct we did lose to Chatt and Samford, but we also had more torn ACL's than any other team I've ever watched and had to replace depth from back to back playoff appearances. I'd be willing to bet that the 07 Montana victory was one of the most impressive victories in Wofford history. They had 6 NFL players on that team, were at home, in freezing weather and we won. In the past two years, The SoCon has had 3 people drafted in the NFL out of 214 picks in addition to 4, off the top of my head, undrafted free agents. This does not include the players from App who beat Michigan like Dexter Jackson, Corey Lynch, and Jason Hunter. Jerome Felton, Ingle Martin, Jayson Foster, and Nehemiah Broughton etc.

I also think you are exaggerating the Southern Conference's power in baseball. We currently have 3 teams in the top 50 RPI, last year we finished with 2 and the year before 1. Those are not numbers that deserve excuses for our lack of consistent competitive teams in the conference. We should use the conference's strength as an asset for recruiting because athletes want to play the best, look at the SEC in football. College of Charleston has not been to NCAA post season since 2006 and have one super regional appearance in school history. Citadel made the world series in 1990, before half of our team was born. In the last decade they have had two regional appearances. That does not appear to be the domination you speak of. Also, the basketball analogy is misguided. First, Davidson had 3 conference losses Steph's senior year, and didn't make the tourney championship. Also, more teams from north put more resources in basketball in order to avoid the weather creating more competition for bids as compared to baseball.

Finally, my main problem is I don't see much improvement over the past three years. I think we can do better. I hope we improve, but if we don't I hope we don't sit around and settle for mediocrity.
jackiewalnuts

Postby Ruckus on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:39 pm

The sad thing is I'd settle for SoCon mediocrity right now (something around .500 winning percentage) but we aren't even up to that level yet. (sigh)
With the exception of the addition of the new park, we've been "sitting around" for 13 years now as far as I am concerned.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball