we just won our first conference series this yr

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

we just won our first conference series this yr

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 am

well we just won our first conference series of the year yesterday, and nobody on this board deemed it important to write about it. once again very very puzzling folks. i know we only played uncg but we need all the wins we can get right now and we did a good job of handling the socon cellar dwellers
reggie warren jr

Re: we just won our first conference series this yr

Postby MarleyDogg on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:30 pm

That's great...it looks like you took care of creating a thread for it, so thanks Reggie. Way to go T-dogs.
MarleyDogg
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:59 pm

yes i did. thanks for noticing. anytime you want a meaningful thread made just let me know. wofford has won 2 in a row now!
reggie warren jr

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:21 pm

But no mention of losing to Gardner-Webb (again) last week. Perhaps it's losses like that which rob some of us of our excitement about this team. We have yet another chance to prove our inferiority to them on the 28th. Why we are playing G-W 3 times in one year is a mystery to me, especially if we get swept.
We have now lost to UNC-A, G-W (twice), and PC (at least we split with them): 3 teams I would expect us to handle with some ease.
Puzzled is not the word I would use to describe my feelings at this point.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby blitz4 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Now we are the 2nd worst team int he league. Congrats to our entire baseball program.
blitz4

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:01 pm

some of you people are here are incredible. yes we are having year thus far, but this thread was intended to note a positive about this program and an accomplishment considering how this year has gone thus far. some people though are more concerned about pointing out all of the negatives. sure we are not the greatest team right now, but its sickening when people cant even realize a bright spot in the program. sure we lost to inferrior teams, but we cant change that now. however, we can look forward and use this win as a turning point in our season, and that is exactly what must be done during rebuilding years. its sad that people want to constantly tear this program down.
reggie warren jr

Postby WoCoBaseball on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:36 pm

"Now we are the 2nd worst team int he league. Congrats to our entire baseball program."

Actually we are in 8th out of 11 teams. So you're analysis is flawed...not surprisingly.

I'm guessing the majority of people posting on this board went to Wofford - and after reading most of the absolutely ridiculous posts (by guys who only wish they had 1/100th of the talent and athletic ability of those who play for our "entire baseball program") it confirms to me why I was really only friends with the guys on the baseball team at Wofford.

You complain about losing a mid-week game to UNC-A or Gardner Webb?? The Gamecock fans probably thought their team was a bunch of losers when they lost to Wofford in 2006. BUT, you people zealously support a football program who plays an entire schedule of "Gardner-Webb and UNC-A" type competition (and lost rather frequently this year to them).

I think most of you who post on here are uneducated on the college baseball landscape and thus make ridiculous statements and flawed comparisons between the intra-programs at Wofford. Our baseball team plays in one of the toughest conferences in Division 1(comparable to our Football team playing in the Pac-10 or our basketball team playing in the Big 12) and plays a non-conf schedule that is also tough (because many times midweek games -against teams like Gardner-Webb - has professional baseball talent pitching against Wofford (look up the draft and G-Webb if you don't believe me). With all of that - we still have guys putting up monster stats. We have guys like Brandon Waring shredding in pro baseball (when has any football player gone on to play in the NFL or basketball player play in the NBA?) But you're right - what else could we expect from the baseball program but beat top 30 teams and send kids to play professionally? Before this season's basketball team - I'd say our baseball program post 2000 is the most successful program at Wofford based on caliber of competition, quality of wins, and individual success and achievement.
WoCoBaseball

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:01 pm

well put wocobaseball.

couldnt have said it any better. very solid analysis
reggie warren jr

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:13 am

With 11 conference games left, we have won 6 conference games. Have we won as many as 6 conference games before? Just curious.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:21 am

Looks like we won 7 last year, 6 in 08 and 11 in 07, so we have a good chance to do our best in 4 years.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T2TCampbell87 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:40 am

WoCoBaseball,

Do you really believe what you just typed? I mean seriously, can you honestly sit there and mean every word that you just typed? You just said "baseball program post 2000 is the most successful program at Wofford based on caliber of competition, quality of wins, and individual success and achievement."

We've sent two players to play in the minor leagues (which by the way, is one of the easiest things to make if you have half decent talent, 50 rounds x 32 teams). If the NFL, NBA, etc. did this I can almost guarantee you there would be more football and basketball players in the "developmental" leagues. We've won ONE conference title (which if you followed it we basically got lucky and out-scored our opponents and won the championship like 18-15). In case you didn't know, basketball won not only the regular season title, but they also won the tourney too. And you have to be kidding me in thinking that the baseball program is even on par with the football program. We consistently play in one of the top 2 toughest conferences in D 1-AA and have made the playoffs or been a win away multiple times since 2000.

To compare the SoCon in baseball to the Pac 10 and Big 12 is ludacris, and deserves as many facepalms as humanly possible for even suggesting such a thing. While the SoCon is good in baseball, there is not a single team ranked in the top 25 (or 30 depending on the ranker) in any of the 5 polls. Don't fool yourself into thinking that baseball has done something that is worthy of praise because "OMG we finally won a freaking series!!!!!"

IMO you know you have fallen when you celebrate a series win and try to not be in the cellar. Who freaking cares if you are 8th-11th? Is below medeocrity something that we should strive for as a program? Should the team be praised for wasting talent and consistently never competing against teams that we have no excuse losing to? Gardner-Webb should not have a greater history in baseball than us. They've had 4-5 players selected in the MLB draft in the last few years. Why can we not reach a level where we have at least one player selected? Is that too much to ask? That is why the fans are frustrated. If we play in such a great league, why can we not draw better players? There are so many unanswered questions and so few answers and that is why we as fans of all Wofford sports are frustrated. At least the football team and basketball team compete against top flite talent.
T2TCampbell87

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 am

ok first off campbell,

"We've sent two players to play in the minor leagues (which by the way, is one of the easiest things to make if you have half decent talent, 50 rounds x 32 teams). If the NFL, NBA, etc. did this I can almost guarantee you there would be more football and basketball players in the "developmental" leagues. We've won ONE conference title (which if you followed it we basically got lucky and out-scored our opponents and won the championship like 18-15). In case you didn't know, basketball won not only the regular season title, but they also won the tourney too. And you have to be kidding me in thinking that the baseball program is even on par with the football program. We consistently play in one of the top 2 toughest conferences in D 1-AA and have made the playoffs or been a win away multiple times since 2000. "

what and the h e l l are you smoking? you are very very very ignorant when it comes to baseball and the draft. the fact that you think that there are 32 teams in the big leagues just goes to show and your claims are moronic. there are 30. and when players do get drafted in baseball, not all of them sign, like the majority do in football and basketball. and when players do sign, none get sent straight to the big leagues to sit on the bench like they do in basketball and football. baseball is the toughest of the 3 sports to make it in.

now lets focus on your demeaning of the wofford baseball 2007 socon champs. you make the claim that we got lucky. there is no such thing as luck. our boys just played to their fullest potential. thats the bottom line. and yes our hoops team did phenomenal this yr, but last time i checked, they won the same amount of games in the postseason as the 2007 baseball team did. and lets not even compare 1AA football to division 1 baseball. last time i checked football has not beaten a big time bcs team, while basketball and baseball have. the two toughest conferences in 1 aa football would not even have a chance in regular d 1 football. so dont even go there. the socon is annually the 6 or 7th best baseball conference in the country as far as rpi ratings go. last year, we had 3 teams out of the socon go to the regionals. 2 got at large bids. now thats impressive. basketball in the socon is weak. so is football when you compare it to bcs schools. the best and toughest sport to compete in in the socon is by far baseball. so campbell, you can take those outrageous claims and tell share them with people who buy bs.

"Why can we not reach a level where we have at least one player selected? Is that too much to ask? That is why the fans are frustrated. If we play in such a great league, why can we not draw better players? There are so many unanswered questions and so few answers and that is why we as fans of all Wofford sports are frustrated. At least the football team and basketball team compete against top flite talent."

last time i checked, we have had 2 players drafted out of wofford in the last 3 yrs. thats amazing considering the lack of scholarships and funding that the baseball team has. thats more than football and basketball. i dont care if there are more rounds in baseball and what not. bc tons of talent in the baseball draft come from high school as well as domincan baseball academies. baseball is the sport that will take this school to new heights, and the more people start to realize that, the better bc it will only benefit everyone who steps on the wofford campus.
reggie warren jr

Postby jackiewalnuts on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 am

Reggie,
Your conclusion that playing professional baseball being the toughest to make it in is not correct. Sheer numbers make it evident that playing in the NBA is the most difficult. (30 teams *13 players/team= 390) as compared to baseball (30 teams* 40 man roster= 1,200), and NFL 53 man active roster and 32 teams= 1,696. Personally, I think the order should be NBA, NFL, & MLB, with NBA being the most difficult. If you are talking about the actual big leagues, then MLB has a better argument. Since you were talking about our two professional baseball players, I assumed you meant the entire minor league system. As proud as I am for Brandon and Gilmartin, it still does not equate to other schools in our state in terms of MILB production. South Carolina, Clemson, Francis Marion, Coastal Carolina, The Citadel, College of Charleston, USC-Upstate, USC-Sumter, Spartanburg Methodist and Newberry have all had more than Wofford.
We have had more in the past three years than Furman, Anderson U., USC-Salk, and Erskine who have all had 1. PC and USC-Aiken have not had any. Andy Strickland has signed a future/reserves contract with the Atlanta Falcons.
Your comparison of baseball's victory over 'marquee' teams compared to the lack of wins by the football team over BCS schools is without merit. There is a reason why the NCAA separates football into FCS and FBS. There is a difference of 22 scholarships per team not to mention the business side of college football, where the BCS teams dominate the media and community. Whereas, baseball and basketball have 64/5 team tournaments that allow any team a chance to win. Baseball's big time wins include Tennessee and South Carolina (twice), unless you consider Quinnipac, St. Peters or Niagra 'big time'. So, it's not like they are lighting it up as much as you claim.

There is a difference between the 07 Conference TOURNEY champs and the 09-10 basketball team won at Georgia, beat USC, only lost 3 conference games, and played Wisconsin, a team who beat the Nat'l Champs, to the buzzer. Whereas the baseball team finished with a losing record, beat Tennessee and won three conference series (Elon, Davidson, and Furman). I continue to be extremely proud of that 07 baseball team for what it did for Coach Traylor. But, it does not compare to the accomplishments of this years basketball team.
The fact of the matter is our baseball program is struggling. I am proud of the series victory over UNC-G and hope it leads to a strong finish. If it does not, I hope we take a step back and assess the direction of the program at the end of the season.
jackiewalnuts

Postby bigdogbarking on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:14 am

Go Dogs!!!!!
bigdogbarking

Postby WoCoBaseball on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Campbell -

I wholeheartedly agree with every word that I wrote. Again, you prove to be uneducated on college athletics, unfortunately. And I know personally of the 2007 season (and I wanted to win for myself and my teammates - not "for Steve Traylor" as another poster noted).

"AT LEAST THE FOOTBALL AND BBALL PROGRAMS COMPETE AGAINST TOP FLITE COMPETITION"

CofC, the Citadel, Georgia Southern, and as of recent - Elon and App St. have proven to be in the upper 25% of college teams (all college teams - not "midmajor" or D1aa or some other subgroup). Not one football team in the SoCon is in the upper 25% of college programs. Further, CofC and the Citadel have a history of being among the top 25 teams in college baseball (including visits to the Super Regionals and a College World Series). When was the last time that any team in the SoCon has gone on to a BCS game or any bowl game? Wofford has beaten top 10 programs in USC, Tennessee and has played tough against top 10 programs Georgia, Ga. Tech and Clemson. Wofford football played USC tough a few years ago but I don't think anyone really thinks of them as a perennial top 10 program. My point isn't to mock SoCon football it's to prove the disparity between the competition.

-The Wofford Football program lost to Division 1 juggernauts (that have 0 chance of playing in a bowl game) such as UT Chattanooga and Samford. They lost by a combined 60+ points this year to the only Division 1 (FBS) teams they played.

-Before this year's basketball season (as I referenced in my post which you obviously neglected), the bball team had proven to be rather ineffective in a comparatively weaker D1 basketball conference. When was the last time the SoCon got 2 bids to the Tournament?? They didn't even get 2 teams in when Steph Curry was in the league and Davidson was undefeated in conf. play for years and lost in conf. finals!!! SoCon baseball consistently receives 2+.

-As for pro percentages - there are other football leagues not labeled the NFL. Again, when has any Wofford player gone on to play professional football - your one example is a scout team member? Jackie - my point wasn't to say the statistics do not favor baseball, my point is to say (regardless of stats) baseball is the only team to have professional athletes (and there will be a few more on top of Waring, Gilmartin, Redwine, Vartanian). 600 college athletes get drafted into the MLB or less than 10% of college (not all sign skewing the #'s) and 250 athletes get drafted into the NFL (or 3% of college). So taking into consideration that every football player drafted signs and only a fraction of players in college sign - the numbers wind up more equivalent. This mitigates the percentages to a degree and thus puts more weight into my point - that a handful of Wofford Baseball players (and counting) have gone on to play professional baseball and none have gone on to play in the NFL (or 1 on a 10 day contract) and none in the NBA.

Again - I'm not saying 8th place is acceptable - I was simply trying to defend a program that was mocked by some unathletic toolbox (blitz)
WoCoBaseball

Next

Return to Baseball