Woe is we....

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Woe is we....

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:38 am

reggie warren jr wrote:"How else is a team to be measured if not by their wins and losses? If doesnt matter one bit if the team's batting average increased 15 points and the team ERA is down half a run from last season if the improvement doesnt translate to wins. There are no such thing as moral victories."

woco goose, u r flat out wrong on this point. when u are dealing with a young and inexperienced team, there are such things as moral victories. if we had a bunch of upperclassmen on our team, then i would be very critical of our win loss record, but the fact is that we have only two starting position players who are upperclassmen. believe it or not, there is such a thing as a rebuilding years and seasons. and the key factor in these types of seasons is patience from the players, the staff, the administration, and the fan base. while i believe we can win at this level right now, i also realize that these guys are extremely young and they are still finding their identity as a team. it is going to take a little bit of patience and support. once these guys start believing in themselves as individuals and as a team, it will be scary on what they can accomplish. let me give u an example, mac doyle. last yr he was a wide eyed freshmen who played timid at times and didnt make many adjustments. this yr, he appears more poised and he seems to have a better feel for the game. see the difference that one yr can make. lets look at james foster as well. he had an ok freshman season, but this yr he seems to be improved as well. he looks more confident, especially when he is at the top of our order. all it takes is a little patience and support, bc these guys will be good. wins and losses with a young rebuilding team matter to the idiot fan out there, but in reality the w or l in the column does not tell the whole story. our team is young, and still finding their identity. they will be good though. just have some patience, for it is the one of the greatest virtues out there.

I could buy that excuse if we were EVER competitive...we've been rebuilding for 15 years. When is it ok to criticize a coach...or does he continue to get a free pass because the team is young-were they young last year? How about 2008?

Leadership is everything...just look at the soccer program...again, lacking scholarships...the only change was the coach...same players...and they won the conference.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:01 am

Stats are for conference games only

2007 .290 batting average 7th in league
9.27 ERA 10th in league

2008 .284 batting average 9th in league
9.36 ERA 9th in league

2009 .271 batting average 11th in league
8.81 ERA 11th in league
wocogoose94

Postby wocomouth on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 am

Mr Warren.....no sarcasm meant. Glad to hear you are helping the program out with an endowed scholarship. I have a fraternity brother from Wofford that works in the development office, so I was just passing what I hear from him along. There are many people at Wofford working hard to make everything at Wofford better, not just our athletic teams.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby gobluehose on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:00 am

don't be so hard on your guys.....Wofford won the 2nd game of the season series last night 18-9....this could develop into a pretty good local rivalry at this rate.....the two teams have split the season series for the last 3 years....good luck in the SoCon...
gobluehose

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:00 pm

gobluehose, no offense or anything, but pc is hardly a rival that wofford college should aspire to have. pc is a terrible athletic school, and there is no way in h e l l that we should ever be in a rivalry with that type of school
reggie warren jr

Postby lawdog on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:38 pm

That is harsh...PC has a proud history and we go back a long way with them.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:58 pm

lawdog wrote:That is harsh...PC has a proud history and we go back a long way with them.

Even if their boys do wear dresses :D

When I was at Wofford, Furman and Davidson were too good to play us in most sports (and Davidson finally gave up on real football). We played The Citadel only in football, and in Charleston every year. PC and Newberry were our two biggest rivals.
The Newberry rivalry is long gone never to return. PC, is to many younger fans, an unknown entity; but to those of us who graduated anytime before the mid 1990's, they were a big rival, and from the late 70's to mid 00's, our biggest rivals. I've made many a ride down to "Clinnon" to watch football games against "PC College".
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:33 pm

I am sure that there are plenty of people at USC, Clemson, N.C. State, Duke, Vanderbilt, Georgia, etc. who feel exactly the same way about Wofford. Fortunately the people who run those programs are not so FOS as you. They agree to play Wofford, and other schools, because it its good for baseball in SC, and good for the smaller schools. It sure as heck ain't because it benefits them.

Wofford, Upstate, and P.C. are all sort of in the same boat. They're all still trying to find their way in the D1 ranks. Wofford is further along than the other two, but apparently not by as much as you would like, as evidenced by the loss to PC. Whether you like it or not Wofford is going to continue to play teams that you think are beneath them, like PC, Upstate and Gardner-Webb. And if the program doesn't take a step forward they're going to occassionally have losses to those teams.

You want to help the program? Then stop the BS and lead the charge on the one thing you're right about, MORE SCHOLARSHIPS. So long as you're at or near the bottom in scholarships you're going to remain at or near the bottom in the standings. The biggest thing holding this program back is the AD. (no pun intended).

reggie warren jr wrote:... pc is a terrible athletic school, and there is no way in h e l l that we should ever be in a rivalry with that type of school
COHAZE

Postby terriers on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:02 pm

PC leads us in the all time football series 40-38-3.
terriers

Postby youngterrier on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:00 pm

terriers wrote:PC leads us in the all time football series 40-38-3.

I think it's 40-39-3 after 2008 but I could be wrong
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm

Wish you were right but the 40-38-3 came out of the 2009 media guide and included our 38-21 win in 2008.
terriers

Postby youngterrier on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:42 pm

terriers wrote:Wish you were right but the 40-38-3 came out of the 2009 media guide and included our 38-21 win in 2008.

I'm off on my stats, first I say a couple OL left that didn't and now this...what can I say [-X
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:11 pm

As long as you are a true Terrier you can do no wrong.
terriers

Postby gobluehose on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:47 pm

reggie warren jr wrote:gobluehose, no offense or anything, but pc is hardly a rival that wofford college should aspire to have. pc is a terrible athletic school, and there is no way in h e l l that we should ever be in a rivalry with that type of school

if you look at the history, as many of your terrier brethren have, you will see that PC-Wofford go way back. It would behoove both schools to develop a good rivalry in all sports if for no other reason to bump attendance stats, which neither school can really hang its hat on....

further, our athletic teams have suffered recently because we are transitioning to D-I and still have about a year and a half left as part of that transition - at the D-II level, PC was a solid athletic program

as for baseball (since this is a beaseball thread) here is what I was talking about:

2007 - PC wins 8-7, Wofford wins 10-2
2008 - Wofford wins 9-7, PC wins 7-2
2009 - PC wins 4-2, Wofford wins 18-9

whether you want to admit it or not, at least in baseball there seems to already be a little bit of a rivalry....
gobluehose

Postby dialing8 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:11 am

My $.02 worth is that Wofford should play PC, USC-Upstate, Clemson, South Carolina, Winthrop, Coastal, and all other D-1 schools in the state.
I jus told someone the other night that South Carolina should open each year with a weekend series against three smaller in state schools and Clemson should do the same.
Why the hell play some school from up north when we caa play each other.

I personally remember road tripping to PC and have no problem playing them and Upstate and making them a rivalry. I think we should beat them more than we do, but have no problem playing them.
Why play St. Peters when we can play teas that we know and against players we know.
I think it would be good for all the programs and it would be nice for the kids to play in front of some crowds!!!
It sucks to watch attendence numbers that show 150 people coming to see a baseball game.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball