Woe is we....

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Woe is we....

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Lost 2 of 3 to Davidson, then lost to a 4-10 (now 5-10) PC. Absolutely dreadful if you ask me.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Re: Woe is we....

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:39 pm

It is quite sad sure enough. A loss to PC is bad in ANY sport. UGH!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:25 pm

we just look very very passive as a team right now. we can still turn things around, but we gotta start believing in ourselves as a team. losing to pc and davidson is a joke. i think we just need to start staying within ourselves and not try to do too much. also, i dont really care for the title of this topic: woe is we? really? come on now, lets be a little more respectful of the effort and time and dedication these players put into this sport. i know we are not as good as we could be right now, but woe is we? lets have a little more class and respect folks bc that attitude is cancerous.
reggie warren jr

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:07 am

Still like the look of this team. It's just not very fluid right now. It still hasn't come together yet. A long way to go.
bigdogbarking

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:11 pm

As this year's basketball team has reminded me, we can do a lot with Discipline, dedication, and some good breaks. It wasn't long ago that many on this board wondered about that program. Baseball at Wofford is still building. Hopefully getting better each year.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby american gentleman on Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:30 am

Yes, the basketball program has been successful under good leadership, good talent and obviously good chemistry. These three things are essential to any successful program. That is all I have to say.
american gentleman

Postby american gentleman on Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:25 am

sorry.. one more thing .. a little class doesn't hurt either.
american gentleman

Postby reggie warren jr on Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:56 pm

ok first of all, lets not get too carried away with our hoops program just yet. yes, they had a great, wonderful, outstanding season, and i applaud their every effort, for they helped to make a name for this athletic program. but i will remind everyone that it is just one year, and you cannot base a coaches or a players overall career performance on one yr alone. sure, hoops did great in the weak basketball socon and they beat carolina and georgia, but when it was time to hang with the big boys in the big time, they stumbled. and dont tell me wisconsin was better or more funded and all that stuff, bc a 12th seeded cornell just waxed them today. in my opinion, it does not make sense to bring them into this conversation and blog topic that is headlined as a baseball blog. chemistry and good coaching and dedication, and other intangibles are what every team needs in order to be successful. so thats no new revelation here folks.

our baseball program is taking steps in the right direction. it may not show it in the wins and loss column, and unfortuantely, thats what most idiots who casually go to a game or two a season look at. this program has some good things in place. and this program will be successful as soon as the athletic dept decides to make a a stronger and more dedicated commitment to the gentlemen on the field.
reggie warren jr

Postby BossTerrier on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:27 pm

reggie warren jr wrote:ok first of all, lets not get too carried away with our hoops program just yet. yes, they had a great, wonderful, outstanding season, and i applaud their every effort, for they helped to make a name for this athletic program. but i will remind everyone that it is just one year, and you cannot base a coaches or a players overall career performance on one yr alone. sure, hoops did great in the weak basketball socon and they beat carolina and georgia, but when it was time to hang with the big boys in the big time, they stumbled. and dont tell me wisconsin was better or more funded and all that stuff, bc a 12th seeded cornell just waxed them today. in my opinion, it does not make sense to bring them into this conversation and blog topic that is headlined as a baseball blog. chemistry and good coaching and dedication, and other intangibles are what every team needs in order to be successful. so thats no new revelation here folks.

our baseball program is taking steps in the right direction. it may not show it in the wins and loss column, and unfortuantely, thats what most idiots who casually go to a game or two a season look at. this program has some good things in place. and this program will be successful as soon as the athletic dept decides to make a a stronger and more dedicated commitment to the gentlemen on the field.

You are a moron.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby reggie warren jr on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:58 pm

good response. what was moronic about what i said? am i a moron just bc im not jumping on the basketball bandwagon just yet? once again, good response. "you are a moron." wow....figure it out my friend
reggie warren jr

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:42 am

reggie warren jr wrote:good response. what was moronic about what i said? am i a moron just bc im not jumping on the basketball bandwagon just yet? once again, good response. "you are a moron." wow....figure it out my friend

You are not a moron anymore than I am jumping on the basketball bandwagon. I made the point about basketball in the baseball area because I think there is a take away from their success.

The basketball program does have the chemistry, etc. that the baseball program may have. But on these same boards, there were many who thought Mike Young should go just a couple of years ago. My point was (and I think this is your point as well) the baseball program is still building and is in need of support from fans and the administration.

Mr. Warren, you have an incredible gift of pissing off the people who agree with you.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 am

"Mr. Warren, you have an incredible gift of pissing off the people who agree with you"

well thank you. i will take that as a compliment my good sir. i just like keeping people on their toes.
reggie warren jr

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 pm

How else is a team to be measured if not by their wins and losses? If doesnt matter one bit if the team's batting average increased 15 points and the team ERA is down half a run from last season if the improvement doesnt translate to wins. There are no such thing as moral victories.
wocogoose94

Postby wocomouth on Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:35 pm

Mr. Warren.....have you considered starting an endowed scholarship for the baseball program? I know they are severely underfunded in scholarships and need all the help they can get. Giving to the Terrier Club is great, but starting an endowed scholarship for baseball will ensure that the specific sport you wish to help, gets the help.

I'm sure someone in the development office at Wofford can help you with the set-up and how to work out the financials. Just a thought.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:24 am

"How else is a team to be measured if not by their wins and losses? If doesnt matter one bit if the team's batting average increased 15 points and the team ERA is down half a run from last season if the improvement doesnt translate to wins. There are no such thing as moral victories."

woco goose, u r flat out wrong on this point. when u are dealing with a young and inexperienced team, there are such things as moral victories. if we had a bunch of upperclassmen on our team, then i would be very critical of our win loss record, but the fact is that we have only two starting position players who are upperclassmen. believe it or not, there is such a thing as a rebuilding years and seasons. and the key factor in these types of seasons is patience from the players, the staff, the administration, and the fan base. while i believe we can win at this level right now, i also realize that these guys are extremely young and they are still finding their identity as a team. it is going to take a little bit of patience and support. once these guys start believing in themselves as individuals and as a team, it will be scary on what they can accomplish. let me give u an example, mac doyle. last yr he was a wide eyed freshmen who played timid at times and didnt make many adjustments. this yr, he appears more poised and he seems to have a better feel for the game. see the difference that one yr can make. lets look at james foster as well. he had an ok freshman season, but this yr he seems to be improved as well. he looks more confident, especially when he is at the top of our order. all it takes is a little patience and support, bc these guys will be good. wins and losses with a young rebuilding team matter to the idiot fan out there, but in reality the w or l in the column does not tell the whole story. our team is young, and still finding their identity. they will be good though. just have some patience, for it is the one of the greatest virtues out there.

"Mr. Warren.....have you considered starting an endowed scholarship for the baseball program? I know they are severely underfunded in scholarships and need all the help they can get. Giving to the Terrier Club is great, but starting an endowed scholarship for baseball will ensure that the specific sport you wish to help, gets the help.

I'm sure someone in the development office at Wofford can help you with the set-up and how to work out the financials. Just a thought"

oh and thank you for your help wocomouth, but i have already done this. thank you though for your rather sarcastic sounding remark. if it wasnt sarcastic, then my apologies in advance, but if it was, it is greatly unappreciated. thank you
reggie warren jr

Next

Return to Baseball