Just wondering...

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Just wondering...

Postby ILoveWofford on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 pm

I was not at tonights game but from the looks of things it was not that great. If anyone wants to respond and correct me they can but this is what I got out of the article and the play by play that I have read. We walked 11 guys tonight and gave up 11 hits and also committed three errors. 11 walks...is that serious? Was Tim McClelland umping tonight...wow, that is a bad number. As I read this I started to think about checking the stats from last year again to see if we were improving on some of our depressing pitching statistics from a year ago. I decided not to check because of the time it would take and because I am not so sure that the sports information director knows exactly how to record stats...always mistakes on all the box scores and articles, but that is another story in itself. (Sorry for losing focus and going off on another topic). Back to the baseball team. 11 walks is absurd, that cannot happen. We had a really bad staff last year as a whole and from what I can see so far this year, we are not any better. Might be time to start looking into the pitching coach and his way of doing things...I am just saying, the blame has got to lie somewhere. We have walked over 40 guys in 8 games, and really have not been fooling any hitters besides maybe Cornely. Let me know what you think and if I was wrong about something. The staff looks like it is not much improved at all. Also our so called ace is looking like he does not belong in division 1 baseball, and the team era is climbing each game...not a good thing for early in the year.
ILoveWofford

Re: Just wondering...

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:02 am

well put ilovewofford. losing to asheville like that is embarrassing. unc asheville??? really? there is no excuse for that, other than we are playing like complete crap right now. now that is not knocking the team, but rather the truth and anyone who watches these games like myself will tell you that.

let me ask you this question though, has wofford pitching ever been effective? my answer to that would be no. we are indeed walking way too many people right now. and the fact that our staff seems to be ineffective is due largely in part to the fact that we are currently not getting ahead in the count. and that is more mental than anything. throwing a baseball over the plate is not that hard to do. all we have to do is throw the d a m n thing close to the strike zone bc hitters at this level are not good enough yet and more times than not, they will get themselves out. it is still very very early in the season, and we do have a very young team and pitching staff, so to start blaming people already is not the right thing to do just yet in my opinion. but in all reality, the only people you can really blame is the people throwing the baseball. a coach only can do so much. and coach blake does a lot for these players. players have to learn day in and day out what works for them and what doesnt, and this is part of the mental maturation process. and sometimes, that means learning through failure. hopefully these types of things are being said to the players bc the real shame would be if they were to learn absolutely nothing at all. also i might add that we need to do a better recruiting job in the pitching dept and unfortunately, that means we need more resources to go out and get guys who will keep us in games. the guys we have now have the capability of keeping us in games, but they need to realize that for themselves. right now, our pitchers look soft as can be, except for cornley. he is the only one who looks like when he gets the ball, he is going to get you out. noordsy tries to display this type of aura, but he is not very convincing, and other teams can see through that show he puts on sometimes. he wants people to think that he can get people out, but sometimes i dont think he actually believes it himself. and until he does start trusting his stuff, he will be up and down. striesel is another one who seems to not trust his stuff. and the list goes on. our guys have what it takes to make it at this level, trust me, i have seen them and seen other top pitchers around the area in college baseball, and there is not much difference other than the mentality and the amount of strikes they throw.
reggie warren jr

Postby MarshHall on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm

ILoveWofford wrote:I decided not to check because of the time it would take and because I am not so sure that the sports information director knows exactly how to record stats...always mistakes on all the box scores and articles, but that is another story in itself.

So I usually try not to stoop to the level of some people on this board, but this is pretty bad. I'd love to know what you do for a living so that I can comb over every piece of work that you do and publicly blast you for any errors you make. Nobody is perfect, and the Wofford sports information department does a phenomenal job, especially considering the limited resources and staff at the school.

Sports information professionals are are extremely overworked, especially at Wofford where three people are expected to cover every single home athletic event and every road event for the major sports (including baseball). Again, mistakes happen, but few people here actually understand the role of the SID.

Nobody gives them credit when we see an article about the basketball team on ESPN, or when coach Ayers is featured in the US News & World Report or when the announcers on ESPN2 have enough information provided to them to actually sound like they have a clue what they're talking about. Who do you think coordinates all of that?

It's not just the sports information department either. You guys crush the marketing department because you don't like the halftime show, or the walk-up music for football or you don't think the crowds at basketball games are up to par. Well, guess what: Wofford sold out three home basketball games this year. Didn't see anyone here giving Lenny Mathis & co. any credit for that.

So for what it's worth, great job guys.
MarshHall

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:56 pm

"it's not just the sports information department either. You guys crush the marketing department because you don't like the halftime show, or the walk-up music for football or you don't think the crowds at basketball games are up to par. Well, guess what: Wofford sold out three home basketball games this year. Didn't see anyone here giving Lenny Mathis & co. any credit for that."

um marsh, why do you think those games sold out???? im sure lenny and crew put the work in, but the games sold out bc the team was good this yr. thats flat out the reason why the stands were filled to the brim. our marketing is getting better, but we still have a ways to go. i respect what our sid does as he works very diligently, but i love wofford does have a point. theres no excuse not to be able to record and keep score of a ball game the right way. thats what being a professional sports information director entails. they have a lot on their plates and i understand that people do not always give them credit, but keeping and recording stats and scoring a ball game is fairly simple, especially with all of the computer technology and programs available for use today.
reggie warren jr

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 pm

MarshHall wrote:
ILoveWofford wrote:I decided not to check because of the time it would take and because I am not so sure that the sports information director knows exactly how to record stats...always mistakes on all the box scores and articles, but that is another story in itself.

So I usually try not to stoop to the level of some people on this board, but this is pretty bad. I'd love to know what you do for a living so that I can comb over every piece of work that you do and publicly blast you for any errors you make. Nobody is perfect, and the Wofford sports information department does a phenomenal job, especially considering the limited resources and staff at the school.

Sports information professionals are are extremely overworked, especially at Wofford where three people are expected to cover every single home athletic event and every road event for the major sports (including baseball). Again, mistakes happen, but few people here actually understand the role of the SID.

Nobody gives them credit when we see an article about the basketball team on ESPN, or when coach Ayers is featured in the US News & World Report or when the announcers on ESPN2 have enough information provided to them to actually sound like they have a clue what they're talking about. Who do you think coordinates all of that?

It's not just the sports information department either. You guys crush the marketing department because you don't like the halftime show, or the walk-up music for football or you don't think the crowds at basketball games are up to par. Well, guess what: Wofford sold out three home basketball games this year. Didn't see anyone here giving Lenny Mathis & co. any credit for that.

So for what it's worth, great job guys.

Those games sold out because of who we played and our team success. USC, CofC were sell outs because 1 was USC and 2 was a socon regular season championship game. I think that the wofford marketing folks do a good job, but come on Thin skin. I think Noah Dahlman or Coach Young would take exception to the fact that Lenny Mathis was the brain behind the socon regular season championship game sell out due to his brilliant free pizza giveaway scheme...
BossTerrier

Postby bigdogbarking on Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:41 pm

I just want to know who keeps score? I don't mind the omissions (triple play) or scoreboard miscues, but do any of them know what an error is or who gets one? One guy has been getting hammered by the scorekeeper.
bigdogbarking

Return to Baseball