The Decline of Baseball

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: The Decline of Baseball

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:07 am

Your analogy of soccer would be like me saying you take this orange sized round ball and throw it and take this 2 plus foot piece of wood (or aluminum) and try to hit it.

BASEBALL IS A TOUGH SPORT TO PLAY. IT TAKES CERTAIN SKILLS TO PLAY AND EXCEL AT BASEBALL. THE SKILLS NECESSARY TO PLAY AND EXCEL AT SOCCER ARE DIFFERENT. IS THE REASON THAT IT'S SO HARD FOR YOU TO ACCEPT THIS IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED ANYTHING MORE THAN KICKBALL?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby WoCoBaseball on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:15 am

This is pretty much the dumbest argument (if you can call it an argument) that I've ever read on any forum...ever. And unfortunately, it's on a forum about Wofford (a school that I had thought was home to predominantly educated people).

The decline in baseball? What a terrible topic to start - you have your empirical data to back up such a wildly subjective claim? Do you really want to get into a Socio-economical debate with Reggie Warren on how it's easier to pick up a basketball and find a court then it is to get a bat, a ball, a glove, 17 other guys and find a field?

For anyone to come on to a "Baseball Forum" simply to say - "baseball is boring and I don't play" or "you don't need to work out for baseball" or "baseball isn't physically exhausting like other sports" shouldn't get into Wofford or shouldn't have graduated from Wofford - because I would hope that people educated enough to get into Wofford wouldn't be so ignorant..... but apparently, I'm wrong - and I significantly overvalue my education.

Parallel to the above, anyone who compares courtyard kickball to D1 soccer shouldn't have a degree from Wofford hanging on their wall. What a terrible analogy. D1 soccer is difficult and so is D1 baseball. Which one is more difficult? Who cares - a soccer player can't hit .350 in the SoCon and a baseball player won't be getting a hat-trick against UNC-G. But how is that significant in the least?

Awful, awful conversation... and I'm now dumber for having read it.
WoCoBaseball

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:20 am

Your analogy of soccer would be like me saying you take this orange sized round ball and throw it and take this 2 plus foot piece of wood (or aluminum) and try to hit it.

BASEBALL IS A TOUGH SPORT TO PLAY. IT TAKES CERTAIN SKILLS TO PLAY AND EXCEL AT BASEBALL. THE SKILLS NECESSARY TO PLAY AND EXCEL AT SOCCER ARE DIFFERENT. IS THE REASON THAT IT'S SO HARD FOR YOU TO ACCEPT THIS IS BECAUSE YOU HAVE NEVER PLAYED ANYTHING MORE THAN KICKBALL?

ok first of all big john, a baseball is smaller than an orange, second of all you forgot to mention that the bat is round and that you must hit a 90 mph ball thats round, square with a round bat. that is a lot tougher to do than to kick a ball and run around a field for a few hours. all soccer is is kickball. soccer would be a hard sport to play if you were a paraplegic, but anyone and the grandmother can run around and kick a ball for a few hours. its very noble that you are trying to say that they are different sports, and rightfully so, they are, hence the different names given to them, but i guarantee you that playing baseball is without a doubt harder than playing soccer. end of story.
reggie warren jr

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm

This is a debate for the ages!
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:27 pm

reggie warren jr wrote:ok first of all big john, a baseball is smaller than an orange, second of all you forgot to mention that the bat is round and that you must hit a 90 mph ball thats round, square with a round bat.

I actually did not forget to mention the above. I chose not to mention it. To paraphrase your description of soccer: all you do is run around and kick a ball. Well, I went with the simplistic description of baseball: you hit the ball, you throw the ball, you catch the ball. And if you look back at all my posts, you'll notice that nowhere in them did I say which sport was more difficult. I merely wrote that you can't compare the skills required to play them because they are totally different. You say it takes no skills to play soccer (spoken like a person who has never played soccer), and I disagree, because I've played both and know. I will say that both sports are difficult in their own way. I'm sorry you can't admit to that....but you would have to know from experience before you could man up and admit it.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby kickit on Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:31 pm

I have to agree with WocoBaseball. The poster arguing about soccer vs baseball is hopefully not a Wofford grad. The only other posts I've seen on this board showing such ignorance like were last year by an opposing team in football. Soccer CANNOT be compared to baseball. If you think soccer is so eacy, join a team and run for 2 hours before you knock the sport you know nothing about. After you: 1. Get kicked where the sun doesn't and does shine and can't get up off the field because you're hurting so badly; 2. Find out how hard a soccer ball hits you in the head and still have headaches days later; 3. Have so many bruises you look like you've been abused; 4. So exhausted you can't get out of bed; etc...... You have no clue Warren and you're making yourself look "not so smart". I'm very proud of the accomplishments the Wofford Soccer team has made & hate that All Wofford fans are not proud of them too!
kickit

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm

"if you think soccer is so eacy, join a team"

why on earth would i ever want to play soccer? running around kicking a ball for two hours is not fun, mainly because it takes very little skill to play. i am very proud of the wofford soccer team, i have never knocked the team at all. they help to make a name for wofford athletics and any sport that does that is good by me. all i am saying here is that soccer takes less skill to play than baseball. its a simple argument here. folks say that you cant compare the two because they involve different skill sets. ok thats fine, but the skill set required to play the game of baseball is far superior than that of the skill set it takes to play soccer. thats a fact. its as simple as that.

"The poster arguing about soccer vs baseball is hopefully not a Wofford grad"

all i have to say to that is, its common sense. hitting a baseball square with a round bat is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. it is common sense. why do you think that it only takes getting a hit 3 out of 10 times to be considered a very successful hitter. its because hitting is that hard to do. anyone who cares to constantly ignore this fact, is completely out of their element. oh by the way, i am a wofford grad, thanks for your concern though
reggie warren jr

Previous

Return to Baseball