The Decline of Baseball

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The Decline of Baseball

Postby boulder3m on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 pm

Why is baseball in such decline in the US? Kids just don't follow the game like they used to and it is not played by kids as in the past. Just looking for some thoughts as to why the deline.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: The Decline of Baseball

Postby youngterrier on Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:17 pm

As one of those youth, I'd have to say I don't watch because it is long and boring
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:34 pm

Maybe it's because they haven't found a way not to keep score :D Maybe every kid gets the run the bases no matter what he does at the plate.

When I played little league baseball (late 60's/early 70's), many kids played the sport of the season: football in the fall (Jerry Richardson was one of my coaches), basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring/summer. Now the seasons are less well defined, in fact most basketball players play year round. Soccer has arrived for kids (although it hasn't made much of an impact at the higher levels). There is a whole generation of kids who have grown up on video games and can't stand the pace of baseball.

It also hasn't helped that MLB has looked the other way when players misbehave. MLB has had a very lax steroid policy. Parents don't see MLB players as appropriate role models.

And yes, it is slow and boring.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:30 am

actually i would disagree with the statement that baseball is declining in the united states. if you were to look at college baseball ratings and mlb ratings and viewings over the last several yrs, you will see that they are in fact increasing more and more people are watching the ncaa baseball college world series and super regionals and regionals on tv. lots of people are also watching regular season college games on tv. despite steroid use, which i might add was not illegal at the time, major league baseball still continues to keep its fan base. thats pretty impressive.

that being said, kids in america today are soft and the only thing that they care about is how many people they killed on their stupid little video game. parents need to get their children outdoors, and they need to stop buying these stupid games for the kids bc all it does is turn their brains to mush. also i think that baseball is a hard hard sport to play, as hitting a ball is the hardest thing to do in all of sports. when kids fail at hitting the ball, they become discouraged and the fact that they are soft these days and they want things to just be given to them, they turn to an easier sport such as basketball or the easiest sport of all, soccer to gain success. its fun to be successful and kids these days want things the easy way.

also baseball is not a slow and boring game. for someone to say that, displays complete ignorance. there is a lot of action going on in a baseball game. it just takes a little paying attention to. every pitch is action and every swing is action. i would much rather watch a baseball game where people think and where it takes skill to play, rather than watch jungle ball (nba) or soccer where people run back and forth like chickens with their heads cut off, with no plan or purpose. the nba is the biggest joke of pro sports on this planet. plus an 80 game season is a complete joke as well.

baseball is americas pastime, and for good reason, it takes hard work and skill to play and it is the epitome of american culture.
reggie warren jr

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:36 am

also walliver

professional baseball has a very stringent drug use policy....tougher than any other sport out there right now. i can guarantee you that. and when the players were using steroids, it was NOT ILLEGAL. so its hard to punish them for doing something that was not illegal at the time. they were not breaking any rules at all despite the fact that they deceived people. they were just trying to use every means possible to excel, and they chose steroids. that era is over though.
reggie warren jr

Postby walliver on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:15 am

reggie warren jr wrote:also walliver

professional baseball has a very stringent drug use policy....tougher than any other sport out there right now. i can guarantee you that. and when the players were using steroids, it was NOT ILLEGAL. so its hard to punish them for doing something that was not illegal at the time. they were not breaking any rules at all despite the fact that they deceived people. they were just trying to use every means possible to excel, and they chose steroids. that era is over though.

I think that is a big part of the problem. Professional players were using drugs that were allowed by baseball but banned by football and basketball. MLB was happy to have steroid enhanced players in home run chases until the public outcry was loud enough against it.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 am

Reggie, I concer with you completely. Baseball is simply the greatest sport ever devised and it will never
die in the ole USA.
terriers

Postby ShortHairedDog on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:55 am

I personally am not a fan of baseball. I am one of the ignorant who see it as long and boring. I know that is because I was not exposed to it as a kid and never learned to play.

I know that soccer has become very popular among the younger kids. Not sure why. I can't remember who said it, but the best description of soccer I ever heard was that it was like watching a NFL game where every play is an incomplete pass.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:39 am

soccer is for the people who tried to play baseball but sucked at it. i dont care what you try and argue, it takes no skill to run around a field and kick a ball back and forth.
reggie warren jr

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:55 pm

I would certainly think the reigning SOCON champs would politely disagree with your soccer statement.
wocogoose94

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 pm

so..... anyone who plays kickball would probably disagree with me. that doesnt mean that i am wrong though about soccer taking less skill to play than baseball.
reggie warren jr

Postby BigJohn94 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Reggie
Part of me wants to rip this apart, however, I've played both sports at a competitive level. I really don't think it's a fair comparison with the skill sets required to play these 2 sports. A similar, yet different, analogy would be like someone who can build a house and someone who can build an engine. They are both skilled in their respective trades, but it doesn't mean that one should be able to do the other job to the same level.

I would like to think that a person who has a .300 lifetime average would be considered a very good player. What that relates to is this same person "failed", if you will, 70% of the time. I don't know of many professions that a 70% failure is considered very good.

Anyone who has played both sports would truly be able to attest to the fact that the skill levels for these 2 sports are similar. They are not. If you've ever played both sports competitively, you would know that you're comparing apples and pigs.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby youngterrier on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 pm

As a current high school athlete, I'm not interested in softball/baseball because there is little need for conditioning outside of weightlifting
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:22 pm

young terrier,

you are simply mistaken if you think that baseball involves no other conditioning outside of weight lifting. a baseball season is longer than any other out there, and it takes great physical stamina as well as mental toughness to play and make it through an entire season. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. maybe you should follow a baseball player through their off season and in season workouts. bc if you were to watch and take some notes, you would learn that you are wrong my friend.

big john,

anyone and their grandmother can go out and kick a ball with their foot. it doesnt take much to do that. throwing and hitting a baseball that is coming at you at 90 mphs is the toughest thing to do in all of sports. its just that simple. i guarantee you that you can take someone who plays baseball and put them in a soccer game and they would be able to do it and play well. however if you were to take a kickballer and put them in a baseball game and have them stand there against someone who is throwing 90 and have them try and hit, let alone make some sort of contact. i guarantee you that they would not be able to do it. baseball is the hardest sport to play. kicking a soccer ball and running back and forth on a field takes little little skill.
reggie warren jr

Postby youngterrier on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:24 pm

reggie warren jr wrote:young terrier,

you are simply mistaken if you think that baseball involves no other conditioning outside of weight lifting. a baseball season is longer than any other out there, and it takes great physical stamina as well as mental toughness to play and make it through an entire season. you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. maybe you should follow a baseball player through their off season and in season workouts. bc if you were to watch and take some notes, you would learn that you are wrong my friend.

big john,

anyone and their grandmother can go out and kick a ball with their foot. it doesnt take much to do that. throwing and hitting a baseball that is coming at you at 90 mphs is the toughest thing to do in all of sports. its just that simple. i guarantee you that you can take someone who plays baseball and put them in a soccer game and they would be able to do it and play well. however if you were to take a kickballer and put them in a baseball game and have them stand there against someone who is throwing 90 and have them try and hit, let alone make some sort of contact. i guarantee you that they would not be able to do it. baseball is the hardest sport to play. kicking a soccer ball and running back and forth on a field takes little little skill.

sorry, not a lot of running at high demand, I remain unconvinced.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball