Another season begins...

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Another season begins...

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Last time I checked, my attitude, nor any other poster's attitude, had absolutely nothing to do with how well the team performed. My attitude didn't pitch, hit, catch, nothing on the field.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby WoCoBaseball on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 pm

Reggie.... you are relatively young I'm guessing and I mentioned that you played for the 2007 SoCon champs so I'm sure I met you before because I've met most of the teams for the last 10 years. BUT, just like most people who can sit and type anonymously behind a screen, your a computer hardass who OBVIOUSLY doesn't know that much (and can't hold an argument together). I guarantee you that most people on this forum would agree, that your rants are annoying and mostly ignorant. You called the NBA "jungle ball." Real classy. You liken a Division 1 sport - and the most popular sport in the world - to kickball. And it's not so much your opinions - it's the manner in which you do it. You literally try to attack people on this board for having divergent opinions AND you state subjective statements so matter of factly; BUT, you definitely appear more annoying and ignorant. But anyways:

Once again, you pick and twist arguments to make yours better - you said they should stop funding football - I say how they bring in a significantly greater amount of revenue than baseball... but since that didn't fit into your argument; you bypass it. Classic. Also, go around the country and ask about App St. and I guarantee people know them from their d2 football program rather than their average baseball team that will never win a "true" nat'l title. And go around and ask people - have you heard of Villanova football or Villanova baseball??

Jesse Cole??

Was he not the #1 starting pitcher at Wofford college for 4 years? So from 2003-2007 he was a significant part of Wofford College baseball BUT according to the "legend" (Reggie) he was nothing and barely played. Look at the stats - he seemed to pitch a whole lot and was Friday conference starter since his freshman year. I've also seen him pitch and stuff wise he was one of the better pitcher's Wofford has had... or am I mistaken? (But since it's against what you think - OBVIOUSLY I'm mistaken). The real sad thing here is - you probably played with him. And you're bashing him on some meaningless forum. Again, classy. And it's funny - all you do is cry and mock people for not giving credit to the work of the baseball players (even though they never say anything close to that). Well, I'm sure Jesse worked as hard as others and deserves some respect and credit. But you... a former teammate... are bashing him. I guess what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.

Raunado

I said he was #1 because he was Pre-Season college pitcher of the year (by most publications), all-american last year, and projected top collegiate draft pick in this coming draft (by most publications - including BA). But, once again, you're right and RIVALS.com is wrong haha. RIVALS/Baseball America/any scout doesn't know as much as a random poster on a Wofford college board - hilarious.

CofC

Why compare us to CofC and not other top programs? Yea, let's compare Wofford to LSU and other giant STATE schools where cost of admission is a 1/3 of Wofford's. Good call. Again, you're ignorance is funny. I'd love to compare us to CofC or Coastal. Because they are A LOT closer to competing for a national champ than we are. Oh - and more significantly - they are A LOT closer to finishing above .500 than we are unfortuantely.

I won't even get into a subjective debate on west coast versus east coast baseball. Because there really is no way to quantify that argument - which I'm sure you like. So I'm done... keep bashing "jungle ball" and anyone who ever challenges your superiority on a forum of Wofford sports.
WoCoBaseball

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 pm

big john....

i am supporting this baseball program. i am not trying to make myself superior to others on here. i dont need to do that to make myself feel good. i just call things like i see them. and when i feel that people are wrong, i tell them. whats so bad about that? if being honest and having a dream for this program to be great is wrong, well then maybe i should be shot. this program can and has the potential to be better than what it is, but first people are going to need to change their current s h i t t y attitudes and face the facts. dont try and downplay what i am saying my friend. sorry im not in the good ol boys club that runs rampent on this site, and sorry i tell you things straight up.

ast time I checked, my attitude, nor any other poster's attitude, had absolutely nothing to do with how well the team performed. My attitude didn't pitch, hit, catch, nothing on the field.

no, but your attitude is in the stands and your attitude "supports" (idk if id really use that word, but thats beside the point) wofford athletics and your attitude and peoples like yours is heard by the athletic director and others. and the players can sense this and feel this, and when they feel like the hardwork that they put into is not being appreciated, then why even try to win? all they want to do is make a name for this school, but people with attitudes like yourself continue to shoot them down and that wears and tears on you. i wish i could say you were a saint, but you are far from it big john
reggie warren jr

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:36 pm

Never tried to make myself out to be a saint. And I challenge you, Reggie. Go back and read any, ANY, of my baseball posts, and please, PLEASE, call me out on this, where I was negative towards the baseball team. The only thing on this thread I've been negative about is towards you, becuase you showed up on this board one day and immediately start bashing almost everyone on here for their opinions. Their is a big difference between sharing your opinions and feelings on a subject, and making personal attacks, name calling, bashing, etc.

And, when I am in the stands for any game in which Wofford is playing, whether football, baseball, soccer, basketball, or any other sport, I am loud, supportive, and very vocal in my support for the team. So if the team picks up anything from me, I don't think it would be negative.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:54 pm

ok wocobaseball....

lets start with jesse cole. in 2007 when the wofford terriers won the socon, your man. the ACE of the staff, jesse cole pitched a grand total of 3 innings, giving up 4 runs, 4 walks, and 4 strikeouts. he finished his long productive season with a 9 era and an opponent batting average of .364. im just amazed with the way you talked him up. how did he not win the natl pitcher of the yr with those types of stats? dang he got screwed out of that award. woco, for the love of pete, what jesse cole are you talking about?????????????????

"The real sad thing here is - you probably played with him. And you're bashing him"

maybe i played with him, maybe i didnt. thats not important. i am not bashing him, i am just stating the fact that he was not a very good pitcher for us. thats all. what is so wrong about giving an honest honest evaluation of someone? granted he was hurt for some of his career, but that still doesnt change that fact that when he was on the field, he didnt really do anything. jesse probably worked hard, but if he had worked harder, he would have gotten better each year and consequently, his numbers would be different. numbers do not lie.

ok now on to the football argument. i never said that they should stop funding football completely. no what i said was they need to stop giving that particular team, so many resources due to the fact that they cant ever ever ever win a big time bcs title. go anywhere outside of sc, nc, ga, and people have never ever heard of the name or school of wofford, let alone wofford football. trust me they havent. so its not like our fully funded football team is making natl noise for us.

"Because they are A LOT closer to competing for a national champ than we are. Oh - and more significantly - they are A LOT closer to finishing above .500 than we are unfortuantely. "

yes they are, and its bc they are fully funded. get the program some money and they will be good. and they will contend and beat those top tier teams. its as simple as that. 4 scholarships is not going to get us anywhere.

oh and as for your buddy raunado, he is hurt now. so good luck on him being your pitcher of the yr. i bet you have never even seen him pitch in person. so you have no clue as to how good he is.

"I won't even get into a subjective debate on west coast versus east coast baseball. Because there really is no way to quantify that argument - which I'm sure you like."

there is a way at quanitfying that argument. look at the top 25 and tell me what you see. sure the season is young and it will change, but i have kept up with it over the years, and the southern schools always always always have more teams than the west coast. i wonder why

also big john,

you talk as if i really care about what you think of me. i dont care how people on this board view me. i give you my honest answer and views on things. i could care less whether or not people agree or disagree with me. also, the only people i have personally attacked are wallace and blitz. and i didnt really attack wallace, all i attacked were his accomplishments. not him as a person. thats it. i dont personally attack people on this board all i do is agree or disagree with their opinions. when i think you are wrong, i will tell you. there is nothing wrong with that.
reggie warren jr

Postby WoCoBaseball on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Once again - pick and choose your stats - you pick Jesse Cole's last year. What about the other years where he was the #1? Well apparently being a number 1 on a college baseball team for a 3rd of the decade means little in the eyes of the self-anointed one (Reggie). You admit to playing with him (by not denying) and you were probably a long relief guy. Therefore, he was probably a better pitcher than you - so if he wasn't talented and was nothing to the program than I can only assume what you actually were. Once again - I don't think I would ever downplay a teammate of mine's significance to random strangers on some forum. And you accuse others of having a "losing" mentality.

Ranaudo - How does him being injured affect our argument that a kid from NJ was the #1 pitcher going into college baseball? I have seen him pitch live before because I scouted him in HS and have followed his career closely (you skew the argument and propose things that are meaningless - again you can't hold an argument effectively).

Outside of S.C. - nobody has hear of Wofford baseball?? Once again you're wrong. I went to a Baltimore Orioles game last year and wore a Wofford baseball t-shirt and I heard (more than once) something about Wofford (and it wasn't because of Brandon). So once again - you try to state an opinion as a fact - and once again - you're wrong.

West Coast - top 25 is an indicator of baseball on the aggregate??? That's funny - that's only 25 teams. Again with your selective arguments. Ok, I'll play - West coast teams have won more National Titles in the 2000s than the East coast. Again - your arguments are subjective and unquantifiable. There's good baseball (AND BAD BASEBALL) played across the entire country.

After reading most of your writings.... I'm kind of embarrassed for you. And to be honest, I'm kind of embarrassed to think that I supported your playing. I feel bad that you spend 40,000 on an education that hasn't taught you how to argue effectively/how to write effectively/or given you any semblance of etiquette.
WoCoBaseball

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:17 pm

"You admit to playing with him (by not denying) and you were probably a long relief guy. Therefore, he was probably a better pitcher than you - so if he wasn't talented and was nothing to the program than I can only assume what you actually were"

now that might be the funniest thing i have ever heard. i never admitted to playing with jesse. you just assume i did. so you keep making your assumptions bc they are wrong more times than they are right.

"Once again - I don't think I would ever downplay a teammate of mine's significance to random strangers on some forum. And you accuse others of having a "losing" mentality"

giving an honest evaluation of player is not having a losing mentality my friend. i dont care if he was or wasnt a teammate of mine. that makes no difference. if he was good i would say he was good. but i dont think he was that great. thats all. being honest is not a crime.

"Ranaudo - How does him being injured affect our argument that a kid from NJ was the #1 pitcher going into college baseball?"

it doesnt, but i am trying to show you that at the end of the yr when the stats and tabs people put on players do matter, he will not be the best pitcher in college baseball. he is good, but not the best.

"Ok, I'll play - West coast teams have won more National Titles in the 2000s than the East coast"

hmm lets check this out: 2000: lsu won, 2001: miami won, 2002: texas won, 2003: rice won, 2004: fullerton won, 2005: texas won, 2006: osu won, 2007: osu won, 2008: fresno won, 2009: lsu won.....lets tally those totals up lsu southern team, miami southern team, texas and rice, southern teams. your statement about west coast teams winning more natl titles in the 2000's is wrong. and by the way tx and rice are considered southern teams, just in case you try to counter this argument by saying that tx teams are west coast teams.

"After reading most of your writings.... I'm kind of embarrassed for you. And to be honest, I'm kind of embarrassed to think that I supported your playing. I feel bad that you spend 40,000 on an education that hasn't taught you how to argue effectively/how to write effectively/or given you any semblance of etiquette."

all i have to say to this, dont be bc i am doing quite well. thanks for feeling sorry for me though.
reggie warren jr

Postby WoCoBaseball on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Your post is pretty pointless (and once again filled with incoherent ramble).

I love arguments that get off topic - shows how weak one's argument is; look at every argument you've ever gotten into on here - they all drift off topic as it seems you argue just to argue. This whole argument was brought about because I suggested Wofford look to expand and make a priority their recruiting to other geographic areas. For years it seems recruiting out of the South was secondary. My point was that Wofford will always struggle (no matter how much money they have) to recruit against the bigger schools. You then took that and made inaccurate subjective claims - such as baseball being "uncompetitive" north of Virginia - which is so insanely idiotic that it really is my mistake for even responding (I mean, we literally just lost to Pitt).

I do not consider Texas/Rice as part of the South BECAUSE YOU DIDN'T in your previous post. Therefore, following your logic 5 minutes before I posted - West Coast teams won more. But again - you miss the point of my saying that so I'll say it again - anyone can take certain stats to mold to one's subjective opinion. You do this all the time - only you're not very good at it.

Jesse Cole goes from nobody, talentless, barely playing loser to "good, just not great." Awesome. Once again, your argumentative skills amaze me Middle Relief. You've been so quick to refute everyone on everything that you're not refuting playing with him means you did. Additionally, most on this board are separated into two camps - those who played for Coach I (and are I zealots) and those who played prior to Wofford being D1 (and they are Wallace zealots). You have admirably stood up for I throughout (which I think is fine and commendable) which means you played for I. Therefore, based on those 2 aforementioned statements, I KNOW that you played with Jesse Cole and like I said before - I would never bash a teammate (esp. one who was better than me) on a forum full of strangers. You can say I'm wrong all you want but we both know it to be true. And if it's not true then take away your anonymity since "you don't care what anyone on the board thinks of you." (I know you won't do this).

I'm glad your doing quite well. I'm sure you're a fine young man - you just are ignorant on certain subjects and your debating skills are weak. Do you think it's coincidental that everyone on this board winds up arguing with you! And don't think it's because they are so ideologically different than you -
WoCoBaseball

Postby dialing8 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 am

[quote="WoCoBaseball"]
Once again, you pick and twist arguments to make yours better - you said they should stop funding football - I say how they bring in a significantly greater amount of revenue than baseball... but since that didn't fit into your argument; you bypass it.

Last year an article was posted in the Spartanburg Herald or one of its other publications that showed all of the football programs in the state and how much they COST their schools after expenses were paid.
Only SoCarolina and Clemson made any profit if I recall correctly.
All others lost money or made so little that it could not be called a revenue producing sport.
Baseball will not make any money either, but everyone thinks football is a revenue sport. It is when you put 80,000 in the stands. It is not when you put 8,000 in the stands.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCoBaseball on Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 am

Dialing -

I'm a baseball person - not a football guy. But with that said, Wofford Football may not be a Profit machine; but, it does bring in a substantial amount more in revenue than Baseball (which is a fact). Additionally, although I admit that this is an assumption, baseball loses more than football even after football's expenses (profit). The point is moot to be honest; because I really don't care (colleges across the country are doing away with both sports do to both sports' weak financials). I simply stated it to highlight a wildly subjective statement of Reggie.
WoCoBaseball

Postby BossMan on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 am

WoCo:

Excuse me....but about your assumption that baseball loses more than football. Everything is "scaled up" by the magnitude of 5-10 times when it comes to the cost of running a FCS college football program ( compared to baseball......let's just start with the fixed cost of the coaching and athletic staff ). I am sure that is why schools with good athletic programs ( Winthrop, CofC, UNC-Charlotte, etc. ) have not yet ventured into football. I would venture to guess that their expense is somewhere around $1M / yr. With seasons like this past one, I can imagine the planned red numbers are bigger than expected.
BossMan

Previous

Return to Baseball