Another season begins...

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Another season begins...

Postby WoCoBaseball on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

Again, wow. I think I already explained in a previous post the benefits of bunting in the first inning (in that situation) so I'll refrain from that.

Pressured into hitting home runs? Hilarious. Waring hit home runs because he was a beast that year - not because a pitching staff was worried about the guy on first. Do you honestly think that a pitcher was worried about Kirkley stealing second or the guy at the plate who has 22 HR's on the year?

In 2006, the team stole a lot of bases but I guess pitchers weren't "pressured" into making mistakes (or it's because Waring got hurt a few weeks in and it completely affected the lineup).

That's why I like Coach I. In 2006, they needed to steal, bunt, squeeze out runs (and they still had some power bats). In 2007, we had the luxury to wait and hit the long ball - so we didn't steal as much. In 2008, Coach I once against changed to fit our personnel. BUT, it's not a ploy to pressure teams to allow us to hit home runs. It's a ploy to simply score runs (or simply put - "situational baseball"). Guys like Waring, Kirkley, Gilly, Brandt - those guys were going to hit home runs regardless.

As for recruiting - all the aforementioned guys were talented coming in - but I doubt anyone thought they'd have the careers they did (outside of Gilmartin). The true problem isn't offensive strategy (bunt here, don't bunt here, etc.) - it's about pitching. And that's where the recruiting question comes in. It still amazes me to this day, that Wofford tries to recruit the same kids that the other 15 or so big time college programs in the area are recruiting. NO WAY, does a kid come to Wofford over Coastal, Winthrop, USC, Clemson, CofC etc.

Wofford used it's natural assets to get guys like Dahlman to come for basketball from Minnesota. Why not try and get a stud pitcher from Denver, Chicago, etc. and use the weather, the field, the conference to our advantage instead of competing against those schools that already have that. Again - I'm not a coach and don't pretend to be one - and to be honest, I think Coach I is doing a fine job (better than anyone on this forum would do) and I sincerely hope that he does not read any of the stuff spewed about on this forum.
WoCoBaseball

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Actually Wofford has signed players that were offered by the schools you mentioned.

Not finishing the regular season above ninth in 7+ years speaks more about the status of Wofford baseball than any one person's postings here. Stats dont lie.

To the baseball savvy on the board, what is considered progress and acceptable for Wofford in Coach I's third year? I am only talking about Conference games.

2008 6-21
2009 7-22
2010 ?????
wocogoose94

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:09 am

it is pretty damn hard to win when there is zip amount resources being provided to you by the athletic department. by this i mean scholarships. 4 sure as h e l l is not going to get things done in a hurry. when the program is underfunded, the coach has to be creative in finding other ways to win. coach i is doing this, as he is letting young players play and hopefully they will gain experience and learn everyday about what it takes to win at the d 1 level. this unfortunately takes time and patience. if you want a winning team right away without the hard work, then my solution is get the baseball team properly funded. the amount of money it currently gets is a complete and utter joke. do you know that players only get one pair of cleats a yr? or how about that just before this season started, coach i was frantically trying to find bats for his team bc the 16 measly bats demarini provided for them broke already. its a complete joke. those guys and coaches are busting their butts to win day in and day out, and its about time the school gives them the resources necessary to succeed. this school has plenty of money, but unfortunately they spend it all in the wrong places.
reggie warren jr

Postby blitz4 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:32 pm

reggie warren jr wrote:it is pretty damn hard to win when there is zip amount resources being provided to you by the athletic department. by this i mean scholarships. 4 sure as h e l l is not going to get things done in a hurry. when the program is underfunded, the coach has to be creative in finding other ways to win. coach i is doing this, as he is letting young players play and hopefully they will gain experience and learn everyday about what it takes to win at the d 1 level. this unfortunately takes time and patience. if you want a winning team right away without the hard work, then my solution is get the baseball team properly funded. the amount of money it currently gets is a complete and utter joke. do you know that players only get one pair of cleats a yr? or how about that just before this season started, coach i was frantically trying to find bats for his team bc the 16 measly bats demarini provided for them broke already. its a complete joke. those guys and coaches are busting their butts to win day in and day out, and its about time the school gives them the resources necessary to succeed. this school has plenty of money, but unfortunately they spend it all in the wrong places.

With all these excuses, I don't understand why we waiste our time and money with baseball. We need to give the money to another sport that feels compelled to win and will quit making so many excuses.
blitz4

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm

blitz,

you are a complete idiot for that type of remark and comment. the baseball team is the team that complains the least in the whole school, i can guarantee you that. if you have seen the way these guys prepare for a season, then you would understand how much they sacrifice day in and day out. it is only right to give them what they need in order to be successful. football gets everything and i do not understand it bc they cannot win a true div 1 natl championship. its a joke. also, baseball has one more socon championships recently than football. now i know football tied app state and were co champs. but thats not being a true number one. when is the last time football ever played a big bcs team in the postseason. oh wait, they havent, bc they cant. its incredible that you would even say something like you just did my friend. the players are not the ones complaining. its the people who support the team who are fed up with administrations lack of funds given to the program that write on this board. now i know that we are supposed to be polite on here and everything, but you my friend for lack of a better word, are an idiot. baseball is a one of the top 3 money making sports in the ncaa and we need to give them a better opportunity at being successful.
reggie warren jr

Postby blitz4 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:27 pm

With a name like Reggie, I wouldnt be calling anyone an idiot. And with some of the stupid things you say on here I would wonder if your real name is Todd or Dusty.
Baseball was at the bottom on the conference when they won the "championship". If it had been last year they wouldnt have even made in the tournament.
You and all your "Coach I" fans need to quit feeling sorry for yourself and hope the coaches figure out how to be competative in baseball. Im not saying with a championship or have a winning record, just be competative. Not hiring Coach Wallace was probably the stupidest thing in Wofford sports history, so if you are going to call anyone an idiot my friend, you may want to point those words toward Richard Johnson.
blitz4

Postby WoCoBaseball on Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:26 pm

I really don't even know why I bother to post because I really think nobody on this clue understands the game of baseball.... but:

"Actually Wofford has signed players that were offered by the schools you mentioned."

Yeah?? So you're a stud pitcher from South Carolina - you get offers (legit scholarship - not "preferred walk-on") from Clemson, USC, CofC, GaTech, GA., Coastal, Winthrop, Elon, UNC, Tenn, Wake, Duke... and Wofford tops your list? Then you're completely right - Coach I is the worst coach in the history of baseball. NAME ME ONE pitcher that was offered a ride to USC or Clemson and spurned it and came to Wofford? Name me 3 starters (because let's be honest, 1 stud isn't going to make a rotation) that have chosen Wofford over legit offers from CofC, Coastal (who's top 15 in the country) or Winthrop?

The first thing I learned about competitive athletics - you can be the greatest coach in the world but you need the talent. I'm not saying Coach I is the greatest coach in the world - far from it - but Ray Tanner wins championships because he has loaded talent... NOT because he doesn't double steal in the 6th inning of a game or whatever other bones you have with Interdonato. Wallace is probably an unbelievable coach (great baseball guy, good motivational guy) BUT, he also has studs which win games! And, Reggie - 4 scholarships is still 4 scholarships. So use the money, use the field, use the conference, use the new locker room, use Brandon Waring story to sell the program.

I proposed recruiting pitching from outside the Palmetto state (and the region) as an outside the box suggestion and the simpletons on this board start stating our previous year records. Yeah we know the records - now how do we improve upon them. Ridding the program of I and getting Joe Torre won't help if you can't get the horses! Again - I don't care who the coach is - Inter., Wallace, Tanner, - somehow, in order to compete; we need to get pitching that matches up with CofC, etc.

I think my logic is cogent - your diatribe's are not.
WoCoBaseball

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:23 pm

really don't even know why I bother to post because I really think nobody on this clue understands the game of baseball....

ok i can pretty much guarantee you that that is not the truth at all.

And, Reggie - 4 scholarships is still 4 scholarships. So use the money, use the field, use the conference, use the new locker room, use Brandon Waring story to sell the program.

how do you think you will attract the top talent if you dont have any money to offer them? guys are not going to go out of their home state to come to a no name school like wofford if they have no incentive to do so, and unfortunately when guys are looking for places to play and they have some clout, they want a decent scholarship. wofford has a nice field, and the new locker room is nice too, but they are not jaw dropping and while they are good, they are not good enough yet to sell top players on them. especially if you have little actual financial money to offer them. the thing that will sell people on this school is when we go out and recruit players, we need to stress that we are an up and coming program, and we have national aspirations for this team. once we get a few top players, then the rest will come. its just that simple. we also need to stress that we are not just content in having players finish their careers at college, we need to show that we will get players to the next level. bc ultimately top players have to be a little bit selfish and they will go to schools that increase their chances of getting exposure and competition in order to help them get to the next level.

I proposed recruiting pitching from outside the Palmetto state (and the region) as an outside the box suggestion and the simpletons on this board start stating our previous year records.

we need to recruit outside the state, but stay away from schools north of the virginia area because i hate to say it, but high school baseball in the north is not very competitive at all. im sorry for being brutally honest here. but thats just the truth

"With a name like Reggie, I wouldnt be calling anyone an idiot. And with some of the stupid things you say on here I would wonder if your real name is Todd or Dusty.
Baseball was at the bottom on the conference when they won the "championship". If it had been last year they wouldnt have even made in the tournament.
You and all your "Coach I" fans need to quit feeling sorry for yourself and hope the coaches figure out how to be competative in baseball. Im not saying with a championship or have a winning record, just be competative. Not hiring Coach Wallace was probably the stupidest thing in Wofford sports history, so if you are going to call anyone an idiot my friend, you may want to point those words toward Richard Johnson."

now blitz, i may say some outrageous things on here, but the stuff i say is pretty damn near the truth. baseball can compete for a true d 1 natl championship. your sport of football cannot. its just that simple. why we continue to give money to them perplexes me. fcs football is a joke, except for app state but that is it. coach wallace is a great great juco coach, and you prob dont realize that he gets all his players from all the recruits that tanner and legget and others send him, just so they can get seasoned then move on to carolina and clemson. he gets good players who have no grades, or who were just not quite good enough yet to go to the big fully funded schools.

also, i guess would have a problem with reggie smith or reggie jackson as well. their names are both reggie, so they are probably idiots as well. you are a joke sir. go back to your football board blitzen
reggie warren jr

Postby dialing8 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02 am

Why talk about the coach. Wofford baseball has struggled in the conference since going D-1. Traylor was coach of the year in the ACC at one time. He comes to Wofford and is promised more schollys to build the program. We might have 1 more scholly today than when Traylor started at Wofford.
What a joke!!
Traylor couldn't get to .500 in the SoCon. I think we have had two double win seasons in D-1 history so why hold Coach I to some crazy standard of having to win 15 games in the conference when no one has ever done it.
Stop all the build the program by selling the 2007 SoCon championship. I think we only won 8 games that year and got hot and lucky to win it all. No baseball parent/kid can be sold on one five day hot streak. What pitching recruits are sold on is 50% BASEBALL money plus academic money to get to 80/90% of tuition.
As for SMC. I am about sick of listening to this crap. Wallace is a great guy, BUT if he was the coach he would still be battling a 40K tuition, grades and SATs for admission, 4 scholarships, a tight recruiting budget, etc. His chances would be no better than my chances of winning 15 games in the SoCon.----and as for the STUDS at SMC. Go watch a game. This is glorified high school baseball. Yes, there are a few studs that could not get into South carolina and Clemson, but the rest couldn't start for us. Just tell me how many SMC guys sign and go to the schools that originally recruited them. You got it, not many!!! They do go the USC-A or Francis Marion, etc, but not to Coastal, Winthrop, SoCarolina, Clemson.......
As for the big D-1's, I am still wondering why there are 5-6 kids at both Clemson and South Carolina that could be starters in the SoCon, but choose to rot on the bench just to tell their kids they went to Omaha!! Well if you don't play and you have no stats when you graduate, you didn't do squat in Omaha.
When Wofford and Furman get some money they can convince these kids to come PLAY!!
No MLB scouts care what you did in high school if you never play in college.

As for the current team----I would say being competitive would be the goal, but it will always be tough beating CofC, GaSouthern, Elon and App State more than one game per series. I think this team should be able to play with the rest of the conference.
This years team is still young by D-1 standards. They are going to have growing pains, but they will be much better than last year based on maturity alone.
The pitching staff is maturing and starting to adjust to new roles that they have been assigned. Most should do better in their current roles than last years roles. Last years staff was like throwing a 9th grade staff against a team of 11th and 12 graders.
We will see how this weekend goes. Hope they win at least 2, but hoping for four.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCoBaseball on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 am

Dialing...

I agree - which is why I posted something parallel to your post. Joe Torre wouldn't win a SoCon Championship without the horses. However, using examples of Brandon Waring to show kids that in fact - Wofford kids do advance - isn't a bad thing.

Reggie...

I tried agreeing with you throughout your posts and I can understand some of your points (although you don't articulate them very well). But you are so beyond ignorant that it's quite sad. Why spend money on Wofford football? Because they can get 15-20,000 at a game when they're good. If baseball was consistently in top tier of SoCon they couldn't draw near as much (even on the aggregate). As for National Championship talk - again - I just think you're incredibly ignorant. CofC has absolutely dominated SoCon and they went to Super Regions 1 time (and got smoked). Which basically goes hand in hand with my point... even if you get fully funded and have 11+ scholarships - you're STILL recruiting against all these big time programs (that have lesser admission standards). I think it's unbelievably hilarious - and ultimately embarrassing for you - that you talk of Wofford having the chance to win a national championship - when it hasn't finished inside the top 10 in it's own conference!

As for your comments on the North - I agree that Southern baseball (as a whole) is better than Northern baseball (although that is just my opinion and I cannot empirically back that). BUT, you obviously haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about (like usual) and you pose subjective statements as fact (as usual). My point is - that there's so many southern schools that Wofford can't compete in a recruiting war with them. But they can compete with other geographic areas for talent (not just necessarily the North). But to disprove your ridiculous hyperbole, the #1 pitcher in the country right now is on LSU and he's from New Jersey. UNC has a roster filled with Northern players and Boston College, Rutgers, UConn would probably spank us based on their "northern" talent. PITT just smoked us... but their lineup mustn't be filled with people north of Virginia... oh wait. Michigan has some pretty awful baseball too - but yet they managed to beat a Vandy team in the Supers that had the best 2 players in college baseball. Wofford has only ever had 1 kid from the North that I can remember - Jesse Cole - and he was their #1 pitcher and helped the team win the SoCon championship.

Knowing you and your illogical rants on here - maybe you'll start suggesting West Coast baseball isn't "competitive" either.
WoCoBaseball

Postby Natural on Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:11 pm

FYI - our current Sunday starter is from Michigan. Our 2nd baseman is from Boston. CF is from Dallas, TX. One of our catchers is from Phoenix, AZ. So we are going outside SC to recruit. There are a lot of good baseball players all over the country and they can't all go to their big state school. Some even want to come to a school like Wofford for the academics.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:09 pm

"Because they can get 15-20,000 at a game when they're good."

When is the last time that wofford football got 20,000 people at a home regular season football game???

"As for National Championship talk - again - I just think you're incredibly ignorant. CofC has absolutely dominated SoCon and they went to Super Regions 1 time (and got smoked)"

why in the hell would you want to compare ourselves with C of C? i could care less what they have done in the past. if you want to be a top team in the country, then why not compare yourselves to a top team in the country and try and follow what they do? if you want to be good, you look at what the best teams are doing and you learn from them. c of c is good, and yes they are in our conference, but why compare ourselves to them. we should be competing every year to gain an at large bid to the regionals, not just compete and hope to be ok within our conference.

"i think it's unbelievably hilarious - and ultimately embarrassing for you - that you talk of Wofford having the chance to win a national championship - when it hasn't finished inside the top 10 in it's own conference!"

thats a loser attitude that you have. if you people want to keep on thinking like that, then this program will be doomed. and its sad that people like you dont see how talented these kids are and can become. im a so sick of that type of attitude. why not shoot for the top? why not try to be the best? your attitude about this program is sickening.

"Wofford has only ever had 1 kid from the North that I can remember - Jesse Cole - and he was their #1 pitcher and helped the team win the SoCon championship."

Jesse Cole???? really??? he did not do a thing for wofford baseball. trust me on that one. he was a good guy and he is doing a hell of a job in gastonia right now, but seriously? Jesse Cole barely pitched here, and he most certainly was not one of the reasons why wofford won the socon championship. jesse cole? goodness gracious on that one.

"Knowing you and your illogical rants on here - maybe you'll start suggesting West Coast baseball isn't "competitive" either."

well you are right. east coast and more specifically, southern ncaa baseball is better than west coast college ball. if you want to fight me on that one, then you will lose that argument. just look at the irvine regional from last yr. uva went into that regional and smoked the rest of the competition and beat gods gift to the world in strasbaugh or however you spell his name. then they took care of irvine without any trouble whatsoever. the only west coast team that hits with power and authority regularly is a state. all the west coast teams do is pitch and hope to score 3 or 4 runs a game. and i think it would be wise for us to go out there and find some pitching somewhere bc it is there. the only good conference right now on the west coast is the big west. the pac 10 is absolutely terrible aside from asu and maybe stanford, but that is being generous. the wcc is nothing special, and the wac might be one of the biggest jokes of a baseball conference out there. i will take the acc, sec, conference usa and the socon over any of the west coast conferences any day of the week. if our top team in the socon were to compete in the big west in place of idk say pacific or riverside, they would finish in the top 3 in the league. and they would give irvine and fullerton a run for their money. also our top team in the socon would win the wcc and the wac. there is good college baseball on the west coast, but it is overrated.

you go on baseball america and look at the top 25 and you tell me how many teams are on there from the west coat and by west coast, i mean west of tx. i counted 7. want to know how many are on there from the south??? 14, and thats not including the tx teams.

"My point is - that there's so many southern schools that Wofford can't compete in a recruiting war with them. But they can compete with other geographic areas for talent (not just necessarily the North). But to disprove your ridiculous hyperbole, the #1 pitcher in the country right now is on LSU and he's from New Jersey."

ranaudo is good, but he is not the best pitcher in college baseball right now my friend. i have seen him play, and i have seen others play, and he is not the best thats out there. he is highly touted, but he is not the best. and if you are getting that he is number one from the rivals power rankings, then thats just sad bc rivals is not the best source of info out there. oh and as for your unc being filled with northern players, what are you smoking? they only have 5 players who are from the north, and harvey is the only one who is not a freshman. we have 6 from the north. whats your point? just because they are from the north and go to unc, doesnt mean that they are good. you obviously have no idea how college coaches recruit players if you think that. you can go to a showcase and have a great day, and get offered a scholarship from a big school just based on the day you had.

"Boston College, Rutgers, UConn would probably spank us based on their "northern" talent. PITT just smoked us"

you know what, all those teams you just mentioned are either close to being or are fully funded. that has nothing to do with northern talent. since you like to compare, if they were to play cofc or citadel, they would lose 2 out of 3, except for maybe bc.
reggie warren jr

Postby blitz4 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Reggie. Lets try to win a real Socon Championship through the regular season, then talk about winning a national championship. You are a complete idiot. Go back to whatever fantasy world you were living in.
blitz4

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:02 pm

good one blitz...

you are such a funny guy. just go keep on rooting and supporting our d2 football team. oh sorry our fcs football team. what a joke.

people with attitudes like you are the reason why this program has and is currently struggling just to keep its head above the water. you ought to be ashamed of yourself for downplaying the hard work and the time, sweat and tears that these players have dedicated just to try and make a name for this program. it is only right to provide them with what they need in order to be successful. they work the hardest out of any team on campus and yet they get the least support. thats pathetic. and people like you make me sick.
Last edited by reggie warren jr on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reggie warren jr

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:09 pm

When is anyone else out there going to get the fact that no matter what you post on the baseball topic, whether true or untrue, that Reggie is going to bash you, argue with you, smack you around, etc, to try to make himself appear superior to anyone else who wants to post on this topic and/or thread?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball