Another season begins...

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Another season begins...

Postby ILoveWofford on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Well I was very upset that I could not attend the opener of the 2010 baseball season. I was just reviewing the box score and reading some of the story on the game and I am sad to report that it looks like the same old stuff from the terriers. I know it is only game number one and I am down on the club, but they just gave up an 18 spot and Pitt had I think 25/26 hits? WOW!

What is wrong with this pitching staff and this pitching coach? We have to start looking at his ways of teaching and his methods of coaching. He is in his second or third full year and the staff is not any better than before he got there, and to be honest might be worse statistical wise.

Think about this. The dogs just gave up all that offense to a team that might have gotten outside to see a baseball diamond yesterday when they arrived in Spartanburg, South Carolina. I don't care if you take on the elite teams from the north or the minor league affiliates of some of the MLB clubs from the New england area, you don't look that bad on the mound and serve up stuff left and right to a team that just saw live pitching today.

Hope the hoop team continues its success down the stretch, because the baseball team looks like they are again not going to be very competitive.
ILoveWofford

Re: Another season begins...

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:08 pm

ok ilovewofford guy,

i will admit that the performance of the terriers as a whole today was atrocious. there were some high points, but unfortunately none on the pitching side. you can try and sugar coat it all you want, but to give up that many runs to a team in the big east is a joke. there is only one good team in that conference and that is louisville. i agree with you on those points ilovewofford, but you ought to be ashamed of yourself to call it a season after one game. this is a losing attitude that you have my friend and one that is greatly unappreciated as it does not help the further development of our baseball program. noordsy and yarusi struggled today. pete only threw 2.2 innings and that is very bad, but to just give up on him already is not the thing to do. teaching people how to pitch is a tough tough thing to do. especially if you are getting players who are not the cream of the crop talent. it is going to take some time and some support. they are working their butts off to try and make a name for this program, and the least you could do is show a little respect and faith. i guarantee you that things can only get better.

lastly, i am glad you support wofford hoops, as they are having a good season, but they currently have more resources than we do, plus they are playing a much easier sport than baseball, plus they play in the socon and basketball in the socon is hardly anything to get all goo goo ga ga over.
reggie warren jr

Postby ILoveWofford on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:11 am

Reggie,
I have not given up on these players, but I was just stating some facts.
I went to the game today and I have to now put more of the blame on this coaching staff. After last nights offensive explosion by pitt the last thing we need to do is play for one run. We go ahead today on a two run homer by doyle and then we saftey squeeze with first and third and are 5 hole hitter up, what in gods name is that. It was the first inning did I happen to say that. Again in the third inning we try to double steal and get picked off of second. This is college baseball...it is an offensive game...why does this staff believe in one run or trying to create things that are little league material moves. I understand and agree that these players are busting their butts like was said in the last post, but some of the things that are going on over the last few years and especially already this season are mind blowing. These strategic plays or whatever you want to call them are ridiculous and not common for Division 1 college baseball teams. I had to leave in the 6th inning today, so did not get a chance to see the end of the game so I am not sure if there were any oter head scratching things that went on, I will have to see tomorrow.
Another thing Reggie...lets not be critical of the basketball program and their resources. Last time I checked they have played wisconsin, arkansas, pitt, michigan state, illinois and dayton just to name afew in the past 2 years and those games have brought in an enormous amount of money for the athletic program. Not much cash coming in from the terrier nine? So all in all, forgot about the scholarships and the resources and all the other excuses surrounding this baseball program, those all don't explain safety squeezing in the first inning with a two run lead and your five hole hitter up with 2 runners on and only one out. What ever happened to trying to, when you have a pitcher on the ropes early who is on the road, to working counts and trying to get him to the showers. I guess I just don't know what is going on?
ILoveWofford

Postby WoCoBaseball on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:55 am

I could not make the game - and I'm not one for squeezing in the first inning (esp. with the pitching staff giving up 100 runs yesterday) BUT -

How can the 5th hitter in the lineup be batting with 2 runners on with one out AND a 2-0 lead. That scenario makes less sense to me than your argument with the coaching staff - (because your scenario is impossible). Now, if there's no outs as opposed to 1 out (as the scenario would seem to suggest), then bunting in a run AND advancing a guy to scoring position for your 6 hitter (now with 1 out) doesn't seem too crazy. This prevents a double play (maybe #5 has below average speed and rolls over on balls a lot) AND, is better than a SAC fly because a SAC fly gets the run in BUT doesn't advance the runner on 1st to scoring position. Basically it's the coaches call - if he successfully bunts with 0 outs, then 1 run in (3-0) and you have two opportunities to get a base hit and make it 4-0. IF HE DOESN'T BUNT - then you need 2 HITS (or an extra base hit) to get both runners in. So playing the percentages - It's easier to get 1 hit before getting 2 outs then it is to get 2 hits before 3 outs. However, it's all up to the coach - because A, he knows his players better than you and B, he has a preconceived notion of how many runs he'd like to score each inning/game, etc. dependent on the game situation - and in today's game, it seemed like our starter had some good stuff...

AGAIN... everyone's a coach when they don't have to make the calls themselves and when they are gifted with 20-20 hindsight. Maybe you should be running the program - but I guess you missed the interviews a couple years back. BUT, I do agree that the basketball team deserves a lot of credit and respect. They are awesome and coached by a very good guy.
WoCoBaseball

Postby WoCoBaseball on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:11 am

Sorry - one more thing - you remark:

"These strategic plays or whatever you want to call them are ridiculous and not common for Division 1 college baseball teams"

Double steals and squeezes are "ridiculous" and not common for D1 teams? I see... so the Angels in the MLB must be ridiculous? I guess you watch a lot of college baseball though to matter of factly state that "most teams" do not do this. How many is "most"? How many Northeastern or Midwestern D1 Programs have you seen to make such a declarative statement. In fact, according to your inference, most college teams must have the New York Yankees lineup and the luxury to sit back and wait to jack in runs? This team seems talented but does not seem like the 2005-2008 teams that would hit 3-5 home runs a game. So what's wrong with a double steal against a team that probably hasn't been on a field all year? What's wrong with trying to put up 4 runs in the first inning (which would seem to me to have the opposing pitcher "on the ropes")?? Again 20-20 hindsight makes coaching from behind a computer significantly easier...

I hope you don't find any of this as an individual attack - I find nothing wrong with playing for a 4 run first; but, I also find nothing wrong with playing for a 10 run first. I'm just stating all of this to give a retort to what seems to be a biased diatribe....
WoCoBaseball

Postby ILoveWofford on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:01 pm

sorry it was the sixth hole hitter and not five, mty bad...but that still doesn't make me differ on my opinion of how bad that play was. You say yu want to play for a four run inning or more and try to make that northern team make plays because they have not been outside a lot. I get your point, but how about playing for 6 or 7 runs and take this scenerio. Pitcher in his first start of the year has already giving up 3 hits and a jack and is on the ropes...he might start to nibble and take a little off or throw more fastballs because runner on third base...who knows, your hitter has HR powere, he could get into one. Not a smart play no matter what typeof spin you want to put on it.
I do watch a ton of baseball and I was not talking about Mike Sciossia and the Anaheim Angels, I am talking about college baseball. You need to look at stats over the past 5,6,7 years...the game is not about pitching anymore. Lineups are geared towards power in a lot of cases and almost 1-9 can put balls over the fence. I will have to check, but i don't think there were any teams in the socon last year who had a team era under like 5...I might be off a little with that but look it up. The socon is a good baseball league too. (Maybe citadel was a shade under 5)
I took it as a personal attack, but thats ok, hope you don't take this as one towards you. See you at the game today
ILoveWofford

Postby blitz4 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:56 pm

I also made the game yesterday. It is going to be a long season. Our pitching is worse than ever and our guys look like they have been training with the cross country team. I have never in all my years of being a baseball fan, seen a college baseball team look so small and weak!
blitz4

Postby WoCoBaseball on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 pm

I play D1 baseball over the past "5,6,7" years so I don't really need to "look at the stats." My point wasn't that playing for 4 instead of 7 is the smart play (which I stated but you must've disregarded because you were too busy taking affront to my baseball analysis) - obviously you play for as many as possible. What I'm saying, however, is that sometimes the Coach understands the situation and his individual objectives better than the guy in the stands.

Also - just because you have HR power throughout the lineup AND you have to score 7+ runs a game to win (based on ERA) that still doesn't devalue bunting and double steals, etc. Although 1-9 CAN hit a HR... 1-9 RARELY hits one (1 hr/25 AB's is not something I'd rely on...).

Completely agree with the above poster after watching...
WoCoBaseball

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 am

i love wofford,

there is more to the game of baseball than sitting back and waiting for the 3 run homerun. different teams have different personnel. that personnel is going to dictate how the manger manages the game. if we still had the home run combination line up that consisted of waring. kirkley, brandt, gilmartin. sturkie, and others, then i can guarantee you coach i would be sitting back and letting them hit home runs and drive guys in from 1st without bunting. the fact of the matter is though, in our lineup, no player has hit double digit homeruns in one season in their college careers thus far. doyle had 8 last yr. thats the most, and for russel c king field, thats not a lot. the fact of the matter is that we have guys with some power, but until they display that power on a regular basis. the manager is not going to rely on that power to win games, and he would be an idiot if he were to do that. coach i does has some weird methods and had made some questionable decisions at times, but this is a young team and it is early in the season. early in the season, a manager wants to see what his team can handle and do, and if he feels that down the road, they will be forced to win games with bunts and hit and runs and what not, then he wants his guys be comfortable doing it. thats why there are those types of calls and decisions early on in the year. especially with a young unproven team.
reggie warren jr

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:21 am

by the way i love wofford,

the 6th hole hitter who you r referring to was james foster, and i dont know what games you are watching, but foster is not a big power hitter for us. his game is more speed than anything. it doesnt matter what number hitter you have up there, it matters what set of skills the guy at the plate has. foster is a good bunter, he just didnt execute that time. its a long season, so hang in there and dont throw in the towel after one bad series. this sport is not like basketball where one bad game makes or breaks a season. you have to play fri sat, and sun. it was good for us to comeback and win today. now lets get the winning going on sat and fri as well
reggie warren jr

Postby SC_Terrier on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:38 pm

I absolutely love the squeeze play and that style of baseball absolutely wins in college baseball. Just look down the road at the College of Charleston and see how successful agressive baserunning can be for a program. In fact, that may have been the best possible situation to run a squeeze play. Lets see...you are playing against a team from the Northeast who probably hasn't seen too much time on the field...you are up 2-0. A lot of things can happen with the squeeze play. For one, you are putting guys in motion and forcing the other team to make a play rather than sitting back and hoping that your six hole hitter can get a hit or hit a deep flyball. This style of play is exactly the reason why I have supported Interdonato since his hiring. In Traylor's years we waited for something to happen. That's a great strategy when you have a 1-9 lineup that bats above .320 but when you have a lineup like that of Wofford's year in and year out you have to create opportunities and get runs when you can. If you look back to the 2007 year when Wofford hit so many homeruns, the reason for that wasn't becuase our guys just overnight became stronger and better hitters. The reason for that was because early in the season Interdonato had the team running more (stealing bases, hit and run, double steal, etc). When you have a pitching staff that has to be concerned with the running game then they happen to make mistakes. Luckily we where able to capitalize on those mistakes but they were created because guys saw a lot of fastballs up in the zone from pitchers who were paying attention to the baserunners. That doesn't mean that we were a team that stole 80 bases that year but we were a team that would steal bases, hit and run, double steal, etc. Sometimes having that threat of a steal is better than actually stealing a base.
SC_Terrier

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:33 pm

So if this "pressure" offense worked to hit more home runs in 2007, did Wofford use this same tactic in 2008 or 2009?
wocogoose94

Postby reggie warren jr on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:12 pm

they had different personnel in 08 and 09. those teams and styles they played were completely different
reggie warren jr

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 am

Why not try and recruit the players needed to play this "pressure" offense since it worked so well the previous year?
wocogoose94

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 am

I realize the biggest opportunity on the team isnt offense, but still.....
wocogoose94

Next

Return to Baseball