weekend rotation

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

weekend rotation

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:51 pm

well as the season draws nearer, it appears as if the weekend rotation will begin as such:

pete noordsy lhp fri

john cornley rhp sat

jd osborne lhp sun

any thoughts on this? i have my opinions, but wanted to see what the general consensus of this rotation was before i interject with my thoughts
reggie warren jr

Re: weekend rotation

Postby dialing8 on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:25 pm

Well it is completely new. Pete looks to be in pre-injury form and should get his share of wins.
Cornley throws in the low to mid 90s so that should be a plus. Batters can not just sit on his fastball.
JD looks as good as anyone and his offspeed pitch will get a bung of outs. He also has the upper 80s velo that will make this weekends rotation something that we were a little short of last year.
Experience will also be on the staff's side this year. Last year these kids got thrown to the wolves.

This is short, but simple.
Now, your thoughts Reggie.
dialing8

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 pm

well dialing....

im glad noordsy is better from surgery, but a fri night guy is supposed to be a guy who takes the ball and goes a long way into the game, and quite frankly, i just am having an issue with his durability and the amount of innings he will actually be able to throw. coming back from tj is tough and the number of innings he is throwing should be limited to protect his health. i have watched him pitch his fresh yr and have seen him in the scrimmages, and he appears to be a head case at times. and that might pose a problem. i wish him nothing but the best of luck in that role, and i want to see him succeed but thats my honest opinion of him.

cornley is a back end of the bull pen guy in my opinion. i think he could really flourish if given the closer role mainly due to the fact he throws hard, but only for short stints of one or two innings. the coaching staff tried to start him last yr but it blew up in their faces. plus they used gus white in the sat role last yr and he did ok for a freshman in a tough park to pitch at. why not let him come back and see if he can improve himself.

lastly, i think osborne will be effective bc or his arm angle and akward delivery, not bc he has an upper 80's fastball bc he does not have one. he may touch 87 once or twice, but he sits around 84. he does have good movement on his ball, but i believe his biggest question is is how mentally tough he is. sunday is a tough day to play especially in woffords recent history of losing fri and sat. i know they can turn it around this yr and sun is a crucial day bc the guy who starts on sun has the opportunity to win or lose an entire series for a team

anyone have any insight on the other tj man tom dolinak?
reggie warren jr

Postby wocogoose94 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I thought the SOCON baseball series this year are two days to cut down on expenses. Will the DH's be 7 innings or 9 innings?
wocogoose94

Postby reggie warren jr on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 pm

i am pretty sure they are 3 game sets on fri sat sun still. the socon was talking about doing that though. by the way, that might be the dumbest idea that i have ever heard of. and if the socon does do that, i will lose a great deal of respect for the people making those decisions.
reggie warren jr

Postby Natural on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:27 pm

The coaches of the SOCON convinced the AD's not to play doubleheaders. They found other ways to save money.

Glad to to see everyone getting excited about the opening of the season and actually talking baseball on this board.

In addition to this rotation coming out of the gate, it appears Bobby Streisel will be given the closer's role. He is one of the toughest battlers on the mound we have. As a closer, he can give us more than one inning at a time. Last year at Elon he went six with the game on the line and it was a gutsy performance. If they are not afraid to go to him early this could work well. Oftentimes last year, the lead was lost in the 6th or 7th inning, not the ninth.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:52 pm

wait a minute....

we had a lead last yr at any point in a game?

apologies for that bad joke. but i do agree the streisel is a competitor. he has a decent fastball if located properly. last yr though he tended to let the slider flatten out a little bit. his walk to strikeout ratio last yr was even at 25 a piece. if he is going to be the closer, i'd like to see the base on balls number go down bc we are not good enough yet to give people free bases in the latter innings of the game. i hope he does well in this role, but i am still convinced that cornley is the person who needs to be given that opportunity or at least let him run himself out of that job. i say this bc he pitched extremely well the past two summers, and there is no coincidence in the fact that both of those summers he was used out of the pen.
reggie warren jr

Postby bigdogbarking on Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:01 am

I like Noordsy as a starter, but I like Cornley better as a late inning reliever. Close out a game from the 7th on. Jury is still out on JD, however, he can pitch. Not a hard thrower, but ball moves and he places it well. Is DeLuria the midweek guy? A lot of question marks. Still, I think that they are fine defensively and catchers will be better. I think we will see a lot of pitchers throwing a lot of innings, much like last year, but with better results.
bigdogbarking

Postby BigDogsBite on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Which one of these freshman was leading the state last year in era? How will he fit into the mix?
BigDogsBite

Postby Natural on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Don't know to whom you refer, but we witnessed last season that high school pitching stats have little bearing on success in the SOCON. It is a huge leap for freshman pitchers.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:17 pm

i would agree with natural on this one. high school stats don't mean a d a m n thing. the leap from high school ball to college ball is the hardest leap to make especially for players who will be counted on daily to help the team produce wins. how many of yall are getting to the park for opening weekend this yr?
reggie warren jr

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:57 pm

reggie warren jr wrote:i would agree with natural on this one. high school stats don't mean a d a m n thing. the leap from high school ball to college ball is the hardest leap to make especially for players who will be counted on daily to help the team produce wins. how many of yall are getting to the park for opening weekend this yr?

I'll be there.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball