baseball staff?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

baseball staff?

Postby ILoveWofford on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:02 pm

just heard we lost another baseball assistant coach. I know we lost one earlier in the year, can anyone explain to me why we are losing coaches in the program with the season quickly upon us? What seems to be the problem?
ILoveWofford

Re: baseball staff?

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 am

Don't know. Haven't heard, but my guess would be simply money........or the lack thereof to pay reasonable assist. coaches salaries. Maybe our friend Mr. Warren would have some insight into that issue.
BTW - Season opens February 19th.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 pm

Dillenger is now at SMC as their hitting and infield coach. Second assistants make next to nothing. At some schools they are unpaid. I can't imagine that the move was about money.
COHAZE

Postby ILoveWofford on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm

I know plenty of former second and third assistants at all levels and in all sports. I know a few past Wofford coaches as well in numerous sports. People take those jobs knowing the money is not great, but they take them because they love the sport and the school and in most case who they work for.
For two coaches to leave in a matter of months, it is not about the money. Maybe people should start looking at other problems with the baseball program. Maybe the enviroment is not great and the people who are in charge are not the best people. Just saying, if the shoe fits...
ILoveWofford

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:41 am

It is George W. Bush's fault.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 am

Maybe the enviroment is not great and the people who are in charge are not the best people. Just saying, if the shoe fits...

Then there is that possibility. Not sure where problem lies. Also not sure why in the last 15 years, we always seem to have a problem or some issue with our baseball program (SoCon championship excluded).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm

As an outsider looking in I can tell you that your single biggest problem is lack of scholarships, as dialing8 and others have pointed out many times. There is no way Wofford is ever going to be CONSISTENTLY competitive in the SoCon with 4-5 scholarships. Just not gonna happen. If you want to improve Wofford baseball the first thing you need to do is gang up on Richard Johnson.

Ruckus wrote:Then there is that possibility. Not sure where problem lies. Also not sure why in the last 15 years, we always seem to have a problem or some issue with our baseball program (SoCon championship excluded).
COHAZE

Postby wocogoose94 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 pm

wocogoose94

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:07 pm

Yeah I saw that too. Not very flattering of our current situation. I don't know the circumstances and I hesitate to make any further comments.... or make a reference to a certain former player/local coach lest Mr. Warren reappears from his winter hibernation.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ILoveWofford on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Here is what I know...last time I checked, coaches who wanted to further their careers in the profession did not jump from NCAA division 1 baseball to JUCO. I know that SMC is one of the premier JUCOS in the country but you leave that level to pursue the NCAA level, not vice versa. Additionally to that, coaches don't leave programs because of scholarship money, they leave because of personal issues, financial issues or some other factors, not lack of scholarships...and especially not second and third assistants. Lastly, the recent departure of another Wofford coach was definitley not about money...he went to a volunteer position.
Read between the lines people, there is one main factor in these guys leaving...COME ON.

"The chicken has finally come to roost"
ILoveWofford

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:32 pm

wow its amazing that none of yall know what happened....ruckus i guess u arent as close and as involved with the program as u would like us to believe.... ok i know you are going to attack me ruckus so i am going to tell all of yall that dillengers departure stemmed from ncaa violations and compliance issues which were caused when several juco players and i believe some were from smc, joined dillengers summer ball team last yr. as a d 1 coach, you are not allowed to any junior college players on your team during the summer...now i truly believe that this is a bull crap rule, and that dillenger did not knowingly commit this infraction...he is as honest as they come....
reggie warren jr

Postby Ruckus on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:07 am

Perhaps some of us didn't know that. Perhaps some of us found out but weren't at liberty to say. As impossible as it may seem, perhaps there is even more than to it than what you know.
Don't need to try to embarrass you, Reg. You do a good enough job of that on your own.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:26 am

oh ruckus... im surprised that you havent figured out by now that i could give a rats butt about what people on this board think of me my friend. so trust me i could care less about your little demeaning comment. also you just said that maybe some of us were not at liberty to say or some of us didnt know. well bud thats why i just explained the jist of it for you. perhaps there is more to it than i know, but you know what, at least the truth about what really happened is out there now, so get off my back dude...someone asked a question and i didnt beat around the bush i gave a straight answer. oh and if you were one of the few who were not at liberty to say what really happened, than why even respond with a stupid answer by saying money and salary was an issue. if you are not at liberty to respond to a simple question like what happened, then you probably shouldnt even be posting a damn thing on a blog thats about wofford athletics...thats just my take on it

oh no, mommy mommy, i hope i didnt embarrass myself in front of ruckus and his big bad friends...
reggie warren jr

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Now girls, let's not bicker. Get down to the business at hand. Reg, give us your analysis of the pitching. I have a theory about freshman hitting a wall and teams knowing them better in the 2nd half of the year, but I want your take on this team this year.
bigdogbarking

Postby american gentleman on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:05 pm

In reference to what happened this summer, Coach Dillenger contacted the commissioner of the league about the JUCO players and he was told it was okay. Maybe he should have not assumed that the commissioner knew the rules, but this really wasn't his fault. There is probably more to the reason for him leaving a D-1 program to go to a juco program.
american gentleman

Next

Return to Baseball