a look at a dynamic inf this yr

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

a look at a dynamic inf this yr

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:57 pm

Heres a look at the inf for this years team...its still very early, and predictions and analysis may change throughout the yr, but these are my observations thus far...any info and other insight is appreciated and encouraged as well... other positions will be posted later throughout the week....

Alex Lee (Junior Middle INF): while he may not be physically imposing, he is a threat at the top of the lineup. he has the ability to hit for a very good avg, as well as get on base obp % for las yr was 442, he also has decent bat control and has the ability to bunt and move guys over in certain situations, as he has somewhat of an inside out type of swing, which gives him the opportunity to hit balls hard up the middle and to the opposite field. also has decent speed, and if he gets on base enough, he should have the opportunity to quickly move into scoring position, thus giving the club a better chance to score runs. also showed good plate discipline last yr by having a 22 walks and 7 hbps compared to 18 punch outs. defensively, he is the best 2nd baseman on the team, as he has good hands and can turn the double play rather adequately, and has decent range. only had 91 at bats last yr, due to an injury to his foot and had to miss the remainder of the season. and thats when the team kind of really went a rye and began its slow decent towards the bottom of the standings. look for him to rebound this season, and have a productive campaign either hitting 1st 2nd or 9th, while playing mostly 2b and possibly a little ss depending on how newcomer matt moore adjusts to d 1 ball.

Kyle Behrendt (Senior 3b/LF): led the team in avg last yr by hitting at a 344 clip and doubles with 16 (a number that should go down this yr due to his ability to make great strides in the weight room and in the cage, thus allowing for more of those doubs to leave the yard). he was also third on the team in rbis and second with 11 stolen bases. kyle is a polished division 1 hitter, who has the capabilities of hitting the ball a long ways when he learns to trust his swing and hands, as his swing at times can get a bit herky jerky (technical term) and choppy. he had 6 long balls last yr, but i would look for him to up that number this yr, as he learns to better recognize pitches and learns to sit and wait for balls in his zone that he can absolutely hammer with less than 2 ks. he has great gap to gap power, and can hit the ball just as far to left as he can to right, which is impressive. kyle definately has the ability to hit double digit hrs, and he is my pick to have a tremendous senior season. i would expect to see kyle in the middle of the terrier lineup this spring either in the 2 3 or 4 slot. he is one the leaders on this team, and rightfully so. he works very hard, and he has made great strides defensively this fall at 3b, even mixing in at ss a little as well.

Matt Moore (Freshman SS): newcomer who will be given a wonderful chance and opportunity to make a big impact on this yrs team. he has good range from the ss position, and has a decent arm as well. it is still very early to tell where exactly he will be in the lineup, but i expect to see him out there at ss to start the yr at least, as coach i will give him an opportunity to play himself out of that position. if he can do a good and consistent job of catching the baseball, then he will play. for freshman, its about executing the fundamentals, and if he can bunt and hit and run and get all the defensive plays down, then he will be just fine in the middle of the diamond this yr. (any other insights here would be great since i have only been able to see him play about five times this fall)

Neil Robinette (Senior 1b): another leader of this terrier team, and his hard nosed blue collar attitude should help to put fans in the seats and wins on the board this year. he is a very good defensive 1b baseman and his only 6 errors last season proves that, especially on the unforgiving playing surface of russel c king field. neil has tremendous potential to have a great season offensively. if he can learn to get out of his own way sometimes and not think so much while hitting, and just let it happen, he will be great this yr, easier said than done, but nonetheless the fact that he is a senior and leader should help provide him with some motivation to make this season his best yet. his strikeout numbers are indicative of this, and look for those to decrease this year as he works to become a more mentally focussed and neil also has a bit of a loopy swing at times, as his backside tends to collapse during the swing. he has been working hard this fall and if he can keep that and his mental side in check, he can most definately make an impact in the middle of the terrier lineup. neil at 1b gives the team the best chance to win from the defensive standpoint, and when he gets the swing in line, he will be in every game at that position. look for him to either make an impact at either the 6 or 7 hole this season

Josh McKinney (Junior 2b/lf/3b): Josh is a solid player who just missed out last year on hitting 300. his swing gets fairly long at times, thus causing him to not get the head out there on the inside pitches. this in turn causes him to hook balls with lots of top spin to the pull side of the diamond. he had a productive fall season, and he will be a good hitter and look for that number of 300 to motivate him through this season. he has been working on getting through the baseball and creating good spin from the ball off the bat. if he can just keep his mindset of staying in the middle of the diamond with his swing, his doubles numbers will increase and he will be a force to be reckoned with in this lineup. the main question about josh here is is where is he going to play defensively. he can play 2b ok but his technique in turning the double play needs some work, as he tends not throw the ball from where he catches it when turning the double play. he kind of has a wind mill action with his arm and glove hand, while he gets enough on his throws, he wastes too much time from the time he catches the ball to the time he releases it. josh is good enough of an athlete to either play 3b or lf as well. taking the 3b position away from mr behrendt may prove to be difficult, so i would look for josh to make an impact this yr in lf. he has an ok arm and would be able to excel in the position if given the proper coaching and opportunity. look for josh to make and impact by either hitting in the 5 or 6 slot in the lineup. and maybe even the 2 slot, still early to tell exact batting order

Ben Giddons: ? (need some help here, as i do not really remember seeing him in action)

Konstantine Diamaduros (Soph 1b/ dh/of): very very good hitter. made a tremendous impact last year as a frosh, and should have hit 300 but went into a little tailspin, which could have been prevented with a more refined coaching method and approach to that situation (thats another point and story though) won the cpl batting title this summer, a feat that deserves lots of respect and recognition, as the cpl is a tough summer league with good competition and lots of travel. he led the team last yr in rbis at 50, and his torrid start was simply unreal. look for him to increase all his numbers this yr, as he is more seasoned and has hopefully learned now how to handle a long season, as it can be a grind at times, especially when the team is scuffling. he somewhat lanky and wiry and has a quick bat and can drive the ball to either left or right field. last year he yanked a good amount of balls to right field at the begining of the the yr, and he impressively learned to hit the and drive the ball the other way as well. he is an aggressive hitter, and the league adjusted to that towards the midway point of the season last yr. if he can control that aggressiveness just a tad, and look for certain pitches in certain counts, he has the potential to win the socon batting tittle. as with a lot of left handed hitters, he struggled a little with the change up down last year. its a tough pitch to hit, but he has the ability to take that pitch and spit on it in the dirt. when he does that, pitchers will be forced to try and get him out another way, and thats when they will make mistakes. konstantine will have a great year as well this season, and i would look for him to either make and impact in the 3 or 4 slot this yr. it doesnt matter where he plays defensively, bc thats not what he is on the team to do. he can play the of a little, but needs to get the arm a little stronger if he figures to make that a position he can play at the next level. he is a decent 1b, but his ideal position with this team is dh, but that is somewhat dependent on how well the catchers roney and doyle hit when they are not catching, as well as how well robinette performs this yr as well. all in all, look for him to have a great yr. he will hit over 300 and i think its safe to say there will be double digit hrs as well. lets just hope the table setters can get on so guys like diamaduros and behrendt and others can drive them in

i know there are other freshman players, but they are not listed on the roster at this time, which believes me to think they have not made the team yet, but when they do, i will post some info
reggie warren jr

Re: a look at a dynamic inf this yr

Postby BossMan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:22 am

Wow !!!!..........great job!...... really enjoyed your personal spin on things..
....you've got my respect.
BossMan

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:38 am

Reggie, helluva post. There is definitely a great deal of offensive talent on the team, and they appear to play well on the defensive side as well. Do you happen to know anything about our hurlers this year? We have the potential to post a lot of runs, even against the "big boys". Question is, are we going to be able to not give up the large numbers to the enemies?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:37 pm

From what I have seen in the past, our problem has not been our everyday players who have been talented enough (and in some cases VERY talented) but our pitching. Between losing guys to injury and few schollies, we are behind the 8-ball. This year I understand we came in to the fall pretty healthy for once, and some our younger arms have gotten A LOT stronger over the summer. All of this bodes well for some improvemnt in our record except for 2 things: middle to late in the season our kids seem to lose thier edge and mental focus; and 2) we have at times not played very good fundamental baseball, both offensively and defensively (like hitting cut off men, missing hit and runs, attempting steals in poor situations, not defending the bunt and specialty situations very well. Little things that can make the difference between winning close and losing them. I have been saying on this board for a long time that we have a lot of talent, and everytime I see the team play I come away impressed with the level of talent we have esp. given our poor funding. BUT we do some stupid things at times IMO and don't play as well as we have to to overcome our shortcomings. Some of this I think is coaching but some of it is just poor execution and focus by the players. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals will give us a better chance of winning.
I agree it doesn't help we are playing in one of the top conferences in ALL of the country against teams that are fully funded and talented top to bottom. But we can compete better than we have. I think we are getting better and our lack of success isn't because the kids (or coaches) aren't trying. Nobody works harder at Wofford than the basbeall team. Money and support will make a difference, when that will come I don't know.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 pm

How can it be quantified that no team works harder a Wofford than the baseball team? Doesnt the NCAA set up practice guidelines and number of hours per week a team can practice? Are some teams allowed more practice time by the NCAA?
wocogoose94

Postby Ruckus on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:44 am

Time is not the issue; what you do in the time given is. I dare say that baseball conditions as hard or harder than any team on campus, with the exception of maybe soccer. In addition to individual workouts that aren't counted against team practices, such as cage time, fungo, etc.
I know even when I played we'd take an extra 100 cuts a day in the cage at Andrews throwing short toss to one another, usually late at night after studying and everyone else had gone to Clancy's.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:27 pm

exactly ruckus, its the intensity and all the extra work that goes into the practices which makes baseball such a hard sport to play, especially at wofford. you can get by in many other sports by just doing what is ask of you at practice, but the fact of the matter is if you want to excel in baseball, you have to have a routine and often that routine includes early and late work, which occurs long after or before actual practice officially starts
reggie warren jr

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:04 am

Reg. Nice job. Positive and entertaining. I am looking forward to your analysis of the pitchers. Remember these are kids who sacrificing a lot to play a sport that they love, not professionals. Stay positive.
bigdogbarking

Postby Natural on Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:05 pm

Reggie - where'd you go? Enjoyed your look at this team's infield.... how about the rest of the team...pitching staff, outfielders, bench? Let's hear it!
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:10 pm

natural... sorry my man...work coupled with the thanksgiving holiday has taken its toll on me...i am doing my best to get all the other scouting reports done as it relates to the rest of the team this yr...i am hoping to have the pitchers up by at least thurs....i will keep you posted though....thanks for the feedback on the inf post though i hope it was detailed enough
reggie warren jr

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 am

Ruckus wrote:...gone to Clancy's.

Nice call, Ruckus. I have some fond memories of Clancy's and some others I seem to have forgotten (I have no idea why).
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:49 am

Eyes, they woudn't be Nu-Way or Ricky's Silver Bullet would they?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:27 am

Reggie- what happened to you? Do you really care about the entire team or just someone on the infield? It takes 9 to start the game and many more to win. 24 days and counting to opening day. Let's ALL try supporting the TEAM this season and rooting on these hardworking young men. :clap2:
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:24 pm

yo yo natural....no need to be hating there my friend....i have been out of the country for a long time and its been virtually impossible to make any meaningful posts...looks as if though no one has been able to make it out to any practices or 4 mans or anything like that bc since i have posted my inf analysis, there has been zip on the team this yr so far... im disappointed there amigos...
reggie warren jr

Return to Baseball