How do get the crowd more into baseball games?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

How do get the crowd more into baseball games?

Postby TerrierLurker on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:15 pm

I know I am not a regular poster, but (as my screen name implies) I somewhat of a lurker on this site. I was reading another thread where a new poster, Reggie Warren Jr., sort of hijaked the thread meant to congratulate Tim Wallace on his recent coach of the year award. While I strongly disagree with his approach, I do think he brought up a good point when he said he wants to "create a passion within the wofford community that will carry over and support the baseball team"

If, as reggie implies, getting the community excited about Wofford baseball will lead to more wins, then what can be done to get the Wofford community involved/invested in the baseball team? I'll throw out one idea. When I was at Wofford, the baseball team pretty much kept to themselves. I always noticed that they were relatively absent from many clubs and activities on campus. I say relative to the general student body and to other teams. I know that a lot of their time is taken up with baseball related activities, but I always thought it was strange to see football, basketball, golf, cross country, and other teams out with everyone else, but not many baseball players. I mention this because I had some good friends who were on the basketball team and I remember going to all of the home games and several of the away games (Notre Dame, Auburn, Clemson, SoCon games) to watch the team and my friends play. Is there a way to get the baseball team more involved/invested in the Wofford community?

Just my two cents. Any other ideas? Am I way off with my thoughts?
TerrierLurker

Re: How do get the crowd more into baseball games?

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 pm

"Is there a way to get the baseball team more involved/invested in the Wofford community?"

i believe that the ball club is very interested and involved in the wofford community...representing the school week in and week out, giving up your weekends and social life are what it takes to be a baseball player...let me say that i realize that college baseball is one of the hardest sports to play due to the length and grind of the season...many people dont realize that it starts in sept when school begins, and ends after school is out in may....thats a long long season...the weekend series are tough, they play fri sat sun plus two if not even three mid week games, that combined with the insane amount of busy work that wofford teachers give doesnt really give them much time for social and other frat tastic like events...the fact that the team is out there busting their butts the whole year to help make a name for the school says a lot about the character of those young men, bc athletics is what gains popularity for a school...i dont care what people say, the only exception are ivy league schools, academics are good and neccessary, but lets face it, when gaining national recognition in todays society, athletics are the best way to do that...i do know for a fact that the team does go out and support other athletic teams at the school, heck they even go out and promote the school by playing and supporting the mentally challenged and handicapped kids at the miracle little league....thats impressive if you ask me...i know that the various members of the team go out into the different schools in the area to talk to kids and all that kind of other stuff...if thats not supporting the community, then i dont know what is...i am in no way attacking the previous poster here, i am simply just stating that the team does a lot of work already for the community, it just doesnt get publicized as much as it should and thats a sin bc those men are some of the hardest working people at the school
reggie warren jr

Postby BossMan on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Some good points made here......

I don't know about the past, but this team is close with one another. Not that they're all best friends, but they spend a lot of time together. And mostly they are down to earth, humble, hard working guys. It's not easy being in the "second Tier" of sports around Wofford, you're always compared to the football team.

They don't always intermingle around the Wofford community. And honestly, this is a great school, but our baseball players are not like the "snotty rich kids" and "frat boys" who use this school as a way to burn up their parents riches and expand their social life....nothing against the greek system, I was one myself and we have some great kids on the team who are also.... but there's a difference if you know what I mean. Even the kids that we have who could afford it, don't drive $70k Saleen Mustangs to the ball field. Their priority is in hard work and achieving their best.

Let's find a way to get behind them and build support for the great representatives of this school that they are.
BossMan

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 pm

very well put boss man...our baseball dudes are some of the best, hardworking and classiest people on our campus and its about time that they get the kudos and support that they deserve...

"it's not easy being in the "second Tier" of sports around Wofford, you're always compared to the football team." very good point, baseball and the other wofford sports have the ability to win a true division one natl title...time for people to wake up and realize that...football gets enough support for being a fcs/ 1aa/ div 2 team (oh my i actually called them div 2...prob going to get crucified for that, but thats what it really is) winning a college world series or even just being a regional contender year in and year out would bring more profit to the school than football
reggie warren jr

Postby TerrierLurker on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:57 pm

Sorry, let me clarify. I am not saying that members of the baseball team didn't work hard and that they didn't/don't represent Wofford well. All I am saying is that when I was a student (perhaps this has changed) baseball players would hang out with other baseball players as if they were their own fraternity. There isn't anything wrong with that, but looking back it seems like it may have limited the team's exposure to the rest of campus.

Also, I am not equating involvement to partying and becoming frat-tastic. To my knowledge, not many members of the team were involved in any clubs or organizations on campus. It was baseball and school. Even when it came to study groups, the baseball players pretty much just stuck together. I will certainly admit that a large portion of the student body is guilty of some of the same thing with their involvement in greek life and that when you spend that much time together you tend to be comfortable with each other, but not many baseball players were willing to break out of that box.

From what I can tell about this team, I would agree that most of them are down to earth guys and humble, but I know that Wofford isn't just a bunch of "snotty rich kids". There may be a handful, but the vast majority are humble and down to earth. That's why I went to Wofford and not Furman. Many members of the general student population do drive nice cars, but even most of them are hard working and driven people.

Again, I am not saying anything negative about the team. I am just trying to say that I detected a degree of separation between the baseball team and the rest of the student body and I never could figure out why I didn't get that feeling from other teams.

PS. Statements like "baseball and the other wofford sports have the ability to win a true division one natl title" don't help either because it implies that achievements on the baseball field are more important than those on the football field. It isn't about profit, reggie. If it were only about profit, then Wofford could go D-III and we wouldn't have to pay for any athletic scholarships.
TerrierLurker

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:03 am

the achievements on the baseball field are more important than those on the football field bc baseball is a harder sport to play...not taking anything away from football, but hitting a baseball is the single most hardest thing to do in all of sport
Last edited by reggie warren jr on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
reggie warren jr

Postby dialing8 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:10 am

I think football puts Wofford on the ESPN ticker on Saturday, but so does baseball and basketball.
I told a friend we needed more scholarships for baseball ASAP. He gave me the company line that "it will happen when footabll is fully funded". As I have heard, football might not be fully funded, but with "countable aid" they had a full number last season and this season.
What the heck does giving another scholly to football give you----as some would say, a replacement when someone is hurt---depth, they will say.
Well what does a scholly give you in baseball----I say two or three more pitchers to help the team WIN. Last year and for many years before that the team was down two or three pitchers with Tommy John surgery. Because of this last years team started freshman all season long during the SoCon while others in the league started upperclassmen.
For you former pitchers, what about going from high school and travel ball to pitching to 9 guys that are as good as the 3 and 4 hole batters that you faced during high school?. What a wakeup call!?!??
Give the baseball team 4-6 more pitchers and watch them compete for the SoCon each year. That would take 3-4 more scholly's.
Give the team 7-8 more , then you can demand wins from the team!!!

As for mixing it up with the general student body, I think the team needs to branch out. How else will the school want to fill the stands for you and yell for you. They need to know you.
We, as supporters of the team, need to ask friends to sho up to watch the games.

I wish I had been to the CofC at Wofford games when Brett Gardner(NY Yankees) was wearing it out.
If you do not think SoCon baseball is top tier, you better do some research. It is consistantly ranked as the top 7-8 leagues in the country. There are over 30 leagues in D1 alone.
There were a bunch of SoCon kids drafted last year. There are a bunch in the SoCon and at Wofford being followed by the MLB scouts now. Don't miss out on chearing for and supporting these kids.

As for other divisions, SORRY, I have watched a bunch of them. SoCon baseball is head and shoulders above 95% of JuCo, DII and D III.
The fact that Wofford beat South Carolina last year and but for an inning here or there played fairly well against a few ACC and SEC schools shows there is potential there.
The success of at least 4 current players this summer in wooden bat leagues shows that we have talent on this team.
So for those of us that care, talk about the need to get more money into the program. Look at what CofC has with their baseball program. They have a chance to play in or be considered for a regional nearly every season. So does Ga. Southern, Western, Elon, to name a few.

Sorry for the post being this long. I could go on forever, but want to hear what others think.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:16 am

well put my friend...the socon is a damn good conference, and it continually produces draft picks...we even had two players drafted in the last 3 yrs...that says something about the potential we have here at this school and in this conference...some support goes a hell of a long way
reggie warren jr

Postby BossMan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:34 am

Terrierlurker:

I have a little different point of view about your comment that the rest of the student population is down to earth like the baseball team, and the "clicks" are in the minority. Please understand, I'm not saying I'm right, but I have a different impression.
This school is smaller than a 4A high school in South Carolina, and more than 98% of the students live on campus full time. That means school, study, sleep, etc. around each other. However, I've asked students ( baseball & otherwise) about whether they know some person ( athlete or other ) that I've come across, and it seems that it's about a 1 in 4 chance that they know that person and 2 in 4 that they've ever heard of them, even if they are in the same graduating class.
Just seems like a silo environment that carries over to sports attendance. Sure we get a huge crowd for South Carolina... most of them are locals proudly wearing their Gamecock attire.
BossMan

Return to Baseball