Congrats to Coach Wallace!

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Congrats to Coach Wallace!

Postby woco on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:37 pm

SMC’s Wallace ABCA all-region honor
Published: Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 3:15 a.m.

Tim Wallace of Spartanburg Methodist College has been named the 2009 Diamond Sports ABCA all-region baseball coach of the year.

SMC went 55-9 last season, won the Region 10 tournament and finished fifth in the country at the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo. During the season, he also won his 800th game for the Pioneers.

Wallace, a former Wofford and professional player as a catcher, has been all-region coach of the year five times (2001, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009). He is 807-247 (.765 winning percentage) with nine region championships in his 19 years.
woco

Re: Congrats to Coach Wallace!

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:31 am

man he should be in the juco hall of fame or something, must be hard winning when carolina and clemson do the recruiting for you....honestly who cares???? i know hes a wofford grad and everything but there is an obscene amount of posts on this site about that guy...there have been no updates about the team this yr, but yet there are posts about wallace??? that makes a lot of sense...its kinda sickening sometimes...stop complaining and whining that he didnt get the job already
reggie warren jr

Postby walliver on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:09 am

reggie warren jr wrote:man he should be in the juco hall of fame or something, must be hard winning when carolina and clemson do the recruiting for you....honestly who cares???? i know hes a wofford grad and everything but there is an obscene amount of posts on this site about that guy...there have been no updates about the team this yr, but yet there are posts about wallace??? that makes a lot of sense...its kinda sickening sometimes...stop complaining and whining that he didnt get the job already

There are a number of people on this board who went to school with Tim (and his wife) and this is of great interest to us. If the UNC-A graduate accomplishes something, we will post congratulations to him also.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 am

Tim Wallace is an alum and a hall of famer. Beth Wallace is in the admin and part of the Wofford family. This is of great interest to the Wofford community at large, much less to those of us who have some connection to them personally.
I guess we should stop posting about Waring too since he's already graduated and didn't get the job either??????? Give me a break.
If you want to see some updates on the team this year, why don't you post them instead of criticizing what is being posted?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:36 am

reggie warren jr wrote:man he should be in the juco hall of fame or something, must be hard winning when carolina and clemson do the recruiting for you....honestly who cares???? i know hes a wofford grad and everything but there is an obscene amount of posts on this site about that guy...there have been no updates about the team this yr, but yet there are posts about wallace??? that makes a lot of sense...its kinda sickening sometimes...stop complaining and whining that he didnt get the job already

I expect nothing less from a first time poster on our board. Make a post, and likely to disappear. 15 minutes of fame, I guess.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:28 pm

seems as if i have hit a sensitive issue here...i didnt know that many people here cared so much about the winning percentage of a JUCO coach...i told you it was sickening...was wofford even division 1 when wallace was there? i am finding it incredibly hard to see how great a player he was there...i look at the all time leaders in the major offensive categories, and i dont even see his name in the top 5 for anything... so dont try and tell me that he deserves more or even the same amount of press on this site than waring... waring actually contributed to making wofford a decent division 1 team, and i say decent bc i dont believe they have done anything recently to warrant them as a good, certainly not great team, but thats another story, which would prob change if people stopped giving money to our 1AA football team who cant even compete for a real national championship...and as for not posting stuff on this yrs club on here, i have a job and am actually believe it or not busy on the weekends, and i am unable to see the team practice and play...i can assure you though when i get the opportunity to see them, i will post something, and it will actually be worth reading, unlike the tim wallace is god posts
reggie warren jr

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:57 pm

I am glad to see job hasn't prevented you from posting not 1 but 2 posts today which is 2 more posts than you have ever posted before (not mention within the same hour).
You apparently don't read very well because Tim Wallace is the career slugging percentage leader at Wofford. And what don't you get about him being in the Hall of Fame? Do you think that was just made up or a bogus award? You apparently question something you admittedly know nothing about.
Nobody is saying TW is a god but he had great career at Wofford (that's what hall of fame inductions mean BTW), had a decent career as a pro (much better than almost all the rest of us who played baseball at Wofford), and has had a great career as a coach. Plus, he is actually a nice guy and family man. He deserves some recognition just like any other Terrier else who goes on to distinguish themselves in their sport or field. And, BTW, Wofford played good baseball before turning D-1.
NEWS FLASH: If you don't like the posts about Wallace, don't read them. It's your choice.
As for the football team, we have won 3 SoCon championships in the last 6 years and gone to the playoffs 3 times, winning the only game in Grizzly Stadium by an away team in like 20 years, and were one win away in 2003 from playing for a National Chmapionship (which we would have won had we beaten Delaware). I agree baseball needs more money but to say that somehow our football team is underperforming or not worthy of support is ridiculous.
Talk about sensitivity issues, look at yourself before throwing stones, hoss.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Hoss??? really dude...bonanza died out a long time ago...let me first respond by saying i am not questioning the character of tim wallace here at all...in my previous two posts, i no where attacked his character and his morals and ethics...i am sure he is a nice guy and family man as you say ruckus, but thats totally irrelevant here...if you are interested in nice guys, then ghandi was a nice guy, why dont we write about him too on this site??? im sure he played stick ball or cricket when he was a little kid...i dont care about who is mr nice baseball player guy here... my bad for questioning what wallace did at wofford, i respect the fact that he holds the all time slugging percentage record, but i would like to see where he ranks in the other major all time categories..i know hes not up there in hits, or homeruns, or rbis, or total bases...hate to break that news to you, and those are the top offensive categories.. and to say that wofford played good baseball before turning division one is actually pretty funny..how many regionals and national championship appearances did they make during that time??? i would imagine it would be a lot since they played "good baseball" before turning division 1 right???...id love to see what your standards of good actually are...and getting inducted into the wofford hall of fame is nice and all, but seriously come on...and also, you mention that it is my choice to read the posts that praise the almighty wallace, and it is indeed my choice to do that, but its kinda hard to miss them when they are the topics on this board ALL THE TIME...all i am trying to say here is enough already...who cares about what the smc coach is doing at the JUCO level..lets start talking about what a division one team is doing to prepare for the season and how and who needs to step up to take this team to a new level...enough of wallace...hes obviously not that great of a coach since he couldnt even get the wofford job...really we get it already hes a good JUCO coach

i would like to quote you ruckus, TW "had great career at Wofford... had a decent career as a pro (much better than almost all the rest of us who played baseball at Wofford)"

ruckus, all i can say to you is speak for yourself on that one my friend...some of us actually made an impact on the program back in the day...

oh and as for the football thing, they CANT win a national championship for division 1...1aa is not division one...all the other sports at wofford have the potential to win a true national title...and if they were to do that, it sure would garner the school with more attention than a 1aa title would, and it would create a buzz about the school and actually put wofford athletics on the map..
reggie warren jr

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:12 pm

3 posts in one day......you're outdoing yourself.
Once again, you are wrong and showing you don't what you ware talking about. Wofford is most certainly D-1. D-1 has 2 subdivisions for football: Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision. NCAA did away with D-1 AA designation several years agao. Wofford plays in the FCS which is the only division that has a playoff structure and a true National Champion decided on the field in a championship game. And it is very debateable whether a NC in rifle or cross country would rival a FCS championship in football.
Since you were such a stud in your day, are offensive categories the only criteria for success in a player's career? The answer is no. Of course, you know nothing about Tim Wallace's playing career so you wouldn't know what kind of defensive catcher he was; or that he led the team in in batting average, RBIs, HRs his last 2 years.
BTW - since you are so offended that TW's name is brought up "ALL THE TIME" on this board, tell us when the last post on this thread mentioned him? Here's a hint: May 18th, 2009. That's 6 months ago. Nice try again.
Better be off to that demanding job of yours, Little Joe.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Let me just put it this way:

1. Wallace was a Terrier.
2. Wallace just won a very nice award for All-Region Coach of the Year.

Those two facts should be enough to warrant a thread congratulating him on this accomplishment. It doesn't matter how good or bad of a player he was, or if he made an impact on the program, he was a Terrier and that's all that matters.
Class of '07. GDI with very few athletic skills to speak of.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:12 pm

ruckus i am well aware of the fcs subdivision...and subdivisions are for teams and schools who are 1 either not good enough or 2 not big and funded enough to become part of the bcs..football is not d1 at wofford college...i am sorry to tell you that...you can go try and convince yourself otherwise, but the fact of the matter is is that football cant compete for a true division 1 national championship with quality schools and conferences such as the acc, sec, pac 10, big 12, and others...however, baseball and the other wofford sports can...just try and tell me that if the mens soccer team wins the national title this yr, it would not mean more and put the school on the map more than wofford competing in football and winning a title against idk a dog crap montana or richmond team that cant even come close to competing with the big boys of college football (the floridas and the lsus and the texas teams and the overrated clemsons and even the crappy gamecock team) the only reason the fcs does the playoff series is bc no one in their right mind would turn on the tv and want to watch a bunch of bowl games featuring d2 schools...

now lets get to the baseball aspect or your argument ruckus...leading the team in avg and hrs and rbis is nice ruckus, but that just leads me to question the caliber of players he had playing behind him, and if you were one of them, then i feel really bad for timmy...anyone can lead the team in those numbers when they have a bunch of rejects and fat kid playing behind them (quoted from the sandlot). the real measure here is the all time numbers my friend...they dont lie...im sure he was a good catcher as well if you say so...im not debating his defensive skill set here...you are the one who brought up his prestigious slugging percentage record...all i am doing is telling you that slugging percentage doesnt mean jack if you dont have numbers in any of the other categories, and he appears to have zip when it comes to those categories...i know its a tough pill to swallow for you, but the truth hurts sometimes...

Next, i would like to address your question...you ask, "since you were such a stud in your day, are offensive categories the only criteria for success in a player's career?" i will answer that question by agreeing with your no, but i will argue that they are a damn good measure and only real tangible piece of evidence we have to judge a player and his performance over time, as it relates to others who came before and after that player....the only kind of person who asks the question that you did right there, are the people and players who were and who are not good enough and dont have the numbers...you obviously dont have numbers, so thats why you ask these questions, but dont worry, i am sure you were a real good team player who brought many intangibles to the park everyday...if you were on my team, i would give you sportsmanship and most inspirational award for being such a good sport about things and not doin much of anything other than just being there...

lastly, i would like to address your ignorance about my job....you say and i quote, "3 posts in one day......you're outdoing yourself.......Better be off to that demanding job of yours." you know nothing of my job...you dont know if i am in the military and happen to have a leave for a few months, i could be a doctor or a police officer who works nights..i could be a judge who has been giving a break for thanksgiving....fact is, i could be anything, so i would urge you to think and be considerate before you open your mouth about criticizing my job and the free time that i have earned...

ps you are just so funny with the bonanza jokes...really you should consider doing a comedy routine and getting a tv show...thats your calling dude

oh and bubba, might i add that he is a terrier who gets an ungodly amount of attention for doing nothing
reggie warren jr

Postby Ruckus on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:28 pm

Hey Warren Jr, apparently the irony of your second post's excuses of why you have never posted before today is lost on you, now that you are up to post #4. I did not bring up your job; you did when you used it as an excuse to explain why you never post. I don't know what you do, nor do I care; but for your sake I hope you do it with more self-deprecation, respect, class and aplumb than you use on this board. If you are a recent graduate, your attitude and self-importance may well explain why our baseball team is perennially mired in last place of the SoCon. But I digress.
As far consideration goes, the irony of your warning is starkly contrasted against your own attempts to insult me when you know absolutely nothing about me or what I have done. I did not play with Wallace but played after him. And it might surprise you to learn I too am listed in the Wofford record books for my offensive career performance at Wofford; so your assumptions (and you know what that means don't you?) are as mistaken as you are arrogant, conceited, and condescending. Some of us don't need to let everyone know how good we think we are.
It is almost comical that you choose to, without any knowledge or firsthand experience, denigrate and demean the accomplishments of a hall of fame player (much less others who have played at Wofford). You admit you did not know Wallace is the all-time career leader in slugging percentage. That's not compared to his teammates but against everyone that has ever played at Wofford; including yourself, hotshot. But if you want to argue numbers, fine. Wallace is 4th all-time in batting average for a season and the alltime leader in BA for a career. He is on the list for career leaders in hits and HRs. He also is the holder of the alltime hitting steak at 37 games; that's 19 games higher than the second place finisher. And since you are a "numbers" guy, you will certainly understand that because Wallace's teams played an averge of a third less games than the vaunted D-1 era, his offensive numbers for a season and career will be artificially lower because of the reduced number of plate appearances. But Bubbadog is correct; none of that matters because Wallace is a Terrier and received recognition. That is enough to give him some respect and acknowlege his accomplishment. Funny thing that respect: it's earned and not generated by one's own self-promotion, isn't it?
Good luck with your tirade on Wallace.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:31 pm

reggie needs a hug.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:02 pm

"but for your sake I hope you do it with more self-deprecation, respect, class and aplumb than you use on this board" ouch that really hurts dude...im sitting here crying right now...you really know how to lay the insults down on someone

"if you are a recent graduate, your attitude and self-importance may well explain why our baseball team is perennially mired in last place of the SoCon" thats not the reason why they are in last place my friend, they get absolutely nothing despite the fact that they bust their butt and work harder than any team on campus, and in the country for that matter...i guarantee you that.. i have a feeling that their place in the standings is goin to change this yr though....oh also i might want to ask the question to you, how many teams were you on at wofford that played d1 and had a winning season over .500??? im sure there werent many if any...so dont attack the recent programs, bc if i remember correctly they did win the socon title and did make it to a regional for the first time ever a couple yrs back

"so your assumptions (and you know what that means don't you?) are as mistaken as you are arrogant, conceited, and condescending" ouch this one really hurts me too bud...idk if i can take all of these insulting comments

"And since you are a "numbers" guy, you will certainly understand that because Wallace's teams played an averge of a third less games than the vaunted D-1 era, his offensive numbers for a season and career will be artificially lower because of the reduced number of plate appearances" that just makes his batting avg record less meaningful now doesnt it??? i mean honestly if you have fewer abs than someone else, your avg should and would be higher right??? thats why guys hit 600 the first two weeks of the season, but fall off and are not even on the map when the season ends

"Funny thing that respect: it's earned and not generated by one's own self-promotion, isn't it?" once again OUCh that really really hurts...if i was trying to promote myself, i wouldnt give a rats butt about having a screen name on here...i would just use my own name and tell you who i am...im not trying to promote myself,im just telling you where i am coming from... if you go back to my first post, you will see that my intention was the promotion of wofford baseball here is my quote from the first post, that explains my intention here "there have been no updates about the team this yr, but yet there are posts about wallace???" ...and i felt that another wallace post didnt promote that, especially since there have been no posts and updates about this yrs team and players, and who is looking good through fall workouts and all that kind of stuff, you people though just skipped right over that and read this as an attack on your buddy boy wallace...there is zip on here about the current team and that is a disgrace, and you will prob point fingers and say why dont you post stuff about the team and all that garbage, and dont you worry, i will...i dont care what kind of award a juco coach won, even if he is from wofford...

"But Bubbadog is correct; none of that matters because Wallace is a Terrier and received recognition. That is enough to give him some respect and acknowlege his accomplishment." i agree that he should get respect and attention, but at some point there needs to be a line drawn, bc its really too much sometimes fellas...
reggie warren jr

Postby dialing8 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Why has no one pointed out that it is hard to lead in the all-time offensive catagories when you only played 2 years while others only played four years?
I bet that had something to do with the way Tim stacks up on the lists.

I wish all of you got this fired up when it involved getting the school to give baseball and soccer more than 4-5 scholarships each. Almost all the SoCon competition gets the NCAA max.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball