Waring named Orioles Minor League POY

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Waring named Orioles Minor League POY

Postby GameTerriers on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:06 pm

Brandon was named Orioles minor league player of the year and will be honored in a ceremony at Camden Yards on Wednesday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bal-matusz0910,0,4542718.story
GameTerriers

Re: Waring named Orioles Minor League POY

Postby lawdog on Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:23 pm

A great honor for Brandon but I cannot say I am surprised. He has had a great minor league experience since leaving college and deserves to be in the majors soon.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:13 pm

I'd really like to think that he would get the call up to the majors when the teams expand the rosters soon.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby BubbaDog on Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:15 am

The major league rosters have already expanded.
Class of '07. GDI with very few athletic skills to speak of.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:32 pm

He's in AA now and that is where he should start next year, I would think. However, Baltimore hardly ever does things right. They say if you can play at AA, you can play in the majors. Pretty close.....Just wondering, why no mention of his accomplishments on the Athletic website. I feel that you should let everyone know that he came from your program and maybe, just maybe, one top shelf recruit might say to himself, "Hey, Waring and Gilmartin came out of this school, I might be able to also". Just a thought.
bigdogbarking

Postby wocogoose94 on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:38 pm

There are current stats for the professional baseball players in the "Around the Water Bowl" column
wocogoose94

Postby GameTerriers on Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:10 pm

I agree that it would be nice to see some sort of updates on at least the baseball section of the athletics website. I mean there are only 30 minor league players of the year in '09.
GameTerriers

Postby Terrier FanAttic on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:36 am

Waring living large as a Baltimore minor leaguer
Wofford product named MVP of his league, Orioles system

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=SJ&Date=20090915&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=909169979

By Eric Boynton
eric.boynton@shj.com

Published: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 at 3:15 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 at 2:38 a.m.

He’s already switched organizations during his young career and recently changed levels of minor league baseball, but Brandon Waring keeps on hitting.

That’s what the Wofford product does best, and he did it so well this summer that Baltimore named him its minor league most valuable player.

Waring was also named the Carolina League MVP after a stellar season with the advanced Class A Frederick Keys before the summer ended with a late call up to Class AA Bowie, Md. He was the first Frederick position player to win the award.

“I just wanted to get off on the right foot with a new organization,” said Waring, who was traded from Cincinnati last offseason.

“Going into the year, the Orioles knew what they were getting, but they let me stay in high A the whole year and pretty much let me put up some good numbers. I’d say I met my expectations and overall had a good year despite a slump here and there. I think the Orioles would have to be happy the way it went.”

With Frederick, Waring hit .274 with 26 homers and 90 RBIs with a .520 slugging percentage and .354 on-base percentage. The homers were the second-most ever in team history and his 63 extra-base hits established a new all-time high. He also became the first in 11 seasons to drive in at least 90 runs.

Waring had a smashing debut in Bowie where he had a homer, double and drove in a team season-high five runs. In eight double-A games, he hit .292. The organization is bringing him to Baltimore to honor him prior to tonight’s game with his player of the year award.

“It definitely puts the cap on a good season and adds confidence to know the front office thought so highly of my season,” Waring said.

He was originally drafted by Cincinnati in the 2007 seventh round before being part of a four-player deal that sent catcher Ramon Hernandez to the Reds. Waring, who played third-base in college and in his early pro days with the Reds, has been splitting time between first and third with the Orioles organization.

“The trade came out of nowhere and after only being just over a year or so into my professional career,” Waring said. “I was just kind of getting comfortable with everything with the Reds, but I looked at it as a good thing. The Orioles had a little less depth at the corner infield spots, so it was good for me to go somewhere that needed more help there.”

Waring will continue to work this fall after receiving word he would be playing in the prestigious Arizona Fall League, which is comprised of the top minor leaguers from each professional team’s system. That runs from early October to late November.

“All the hard work is so worth it, all the sacrifices you make in trying to get to the big leagues,” Waring said. “You realize you have a once in a lifetime opportunity, something not a lot of people get to do, so you need to put your work in now.”
Terrier FanAttic

Return to Baseball