Congratulations

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Sparklepup on Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 am

I don't really see any viable way we could continue to be successful unless we stay within the Ayers tree. The current system is proven to work and the last thing I want to see is somebody coming in here trying to install a West Coast Offense or something.

The way I see it, either we stay withthe philosophy that brought us to where we are, or we parole Chattanooga from the cellar of the conference.[/quote]

Hey guys, we have a lot of years left with MA and company. Let's focus on winning now and getting a National Championship. Plus, I have a feeling MA will have a big say in who his successor will be.
Sparklepup

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 22, 2009 10:01 am

Yeah, and a bunch of us had a feeling a Hall of Fame alum and multiple national championship winner would be our new baseball coach too and we were wrong............apparently because he didn't give a "strong" interview for the Committee.
Don't assume or take anything for granted in this regard........although I think a little more attention wil be given because the administration will realize their jobs will be on the line on this hire, as opposed to a non-revenue sport.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SC_Terrier on Fri May 22, 2009 11:13 am

I didn't realize that Wallace won multiple national championships. What years did he do that?
SC_Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 22, 2009 11:31 am

In order to answer your question, I had to look it up. I was sure he had won it in 2003, 2001, and in the '90's sometime. Turns out I was wrong. SMC has won their region 8 times including those years. They were 3rd in the country in 2003. Attached is the excerpt form the SMC website detailing TW.

Spartanburg Methodist College head baseball coach Tim Wallace returns for his eighteenth season at the helm of the Pioneers. His previous teams have produced a 752-238 record with NJCAA Region X Championships in 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003, 2006 and 2007. His .760 winning percentage ranks him among the leaders of those actively coaching at the NJCAA level.

He has garnered many awards, included being named Region X Coach of the Year (1992, 1998, 2000, 2007), Carolina’s Junior College Conference Coach of the Year (1992) ,Louisville Slugger Coaches Award (1993, 1996, 1997, 2001) and Diamond ABCA Regional Coach of the Year (2001, 2003, 2006, 2007) .

In 2001, Wallace earned his first Eastern District Coach of the Year award as his 49-12 club sported the best record in Grand Junction, Colorado at the NJCAA World Series. He earned his second Eastern District Coach of the Year award in 2003, when his club posted a 50-16 record. His 2007 squad earned him his third by posting a school record 54 wins while finishing third at the Junior College World Series.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SC_Terrier on Fri May 22, 2009 11:47 am

Thanks for your reply. Hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day weekend.
SC_Terrier

Postby woco on Fri May 22, 2009 3:53 pm

Ruckus--although you are correct that more attention will be given to the next football hire but is that fair to those of us that baseball was our sport and what we loved about Wofford? How disappointing that our AD will be held MORE accountable when hiring for football but hasn't been in this hire.
Maybe a different sport but the dedication and loyalty is the same--what would the response be if this had been the same situation but with MA's replacement? I would expect more from an institution like Wofford but nothing will surprise me in the future under the current leadership
woco

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 pm

I'm not making any comments positive or negative with this statement, but I think that some of the differences in questions stem from the way the College is run now versus how it was run by the previous institutional administration.

I'm not saying Dr. Dunlap's leadership style is bad (far from it), it just has a differnet focus than Dr. Lesesne's style. I think Dunlap's vision for Wofford as a whole may be shifting emphasis in some areas that would have been done differently in the past. That's completely natural, but should not be overlooked.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woco on Sat May 23, 2009 12:17 am

Eyes--I agree that Dr Dunlap has led Wofford in the different direction and IMO it has been positive.
I was not referring to his leadership but rather the leadership in the athletic administration.....
woco

Postby BossTerrier on Sat May 23, 2009 8:26 am

woco wrote:Eyes--I agree that Dr Dunlap has led Wofford in the different direction and IMO it has been positive.
I was not referring to his leadership but rather the leadership in the athletic administration.....

Dunlap is also responsible for Athletic administration...
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby walliver on Sat May 23, 2009 9:02 am

I am hoping that MA outlasts RJ.

I suspect that Wade Lang or Nate Woody would be the replacement coach (unless MA outlasts both of them).

It is painful to think of the idea of a UNC-A graduate "outperforming" a Wofford grad in a job interview. :evil:
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 23, 2009 7:09 pm

walliver wrote:It is painful to think of the idea of a UNC-A graduate "outperforming" a Wofford grad in a job interview. :evil:

Only when the playing field is not level.
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 23, 2009 7:15 pm

woco wrote:I agree that Dr Dunlap has led Wofford in the different direction and IMO it has been positive.

I agree that many aspects of Wofford are better for Dr. Dunlap's leadership. The campus and academics are as good as they've ever been. I think some of the "quiet confidence" that once characterized Wofford has been relplaced with an air of moral superiority, but I can't blame that vibe totally on Dr. Dunlap. I'm not sure I like the strategy of positioning ourselves as a southern equivalent to the elite northern liberal arts schools because I feel llike Wofford is in it's own catagory, but that's another discussion. I'm just not sure that athletics is a high priority for the current College administration beyond serving as an example of the quality of our students or as a metaphor for a speech or article on another topic.
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby ILoveWofford on Sat May 23, 2009 11:07 pm

For all the scholarship excuse makers on this site and all the other unreal things you people say...please read this article.

It seems like Coach Wallace does not need finances, scholly's, facilities and anything else to compete and win.

Pioneers are small-market underdogs
Posted May 22nd 2009 01:52:08 pm by Todd Shanesy
Categories: Sports
When you really think about it, Spartanburg Methodist has no business being at the Junior College World Series in Grand Junction, Colo.
It’s not that the Pioneers are unworthy. They certainly deserve it.
But when you consider enrollment and scholarships, SMC isn’t even in the same ballpark with some of these powerhouse programs.
Sunday’s opening game against San Jacinto College of Houston, Texas, for example, features a school with 24,000 students against a team with 750 students. San Jacinto has 20 more scholarships than SMC. The Gators even have a sponsorship deal with an equipment company.
“They’re going to come out flashy with all their new stuff,” SMC first baseman Ross Hanna (Dorman High School) said. “But I think if we play our game, we can definitely win.”
SMC head coach Tim Wallace called San Jacinto "the New York Yankees of junior college baseball.”
Here are the enrollments of the JUCO World Series teams:
San Jacinto College (Houston) – 23,753
Santa Fe Community College (Gainesville, Fla.) – 14,500
Iowa Western Community College (Council Bluffs, Iowa) – 5,642
Shelton State College (Tuscaloosa, Ala.) – 5,413
Western Nevada College (Carson City, Nev.) – 4,820
Cowley Community College (Arkansas City, Kan.) – 4,655
Howard College (Big Spring, Texas) – 3,831
Middle Georgia College (Cochran, Ga.) – 3,237
Seminole State College (Seminole, Okla.) – 1,585
Spartanburg Methodist College – 750
With so many students, other schools can more easily hand out plenty of scholarships.
“There are teams with 24 full scholarships at places not nearly as expensive as SMC and we’re juggling 2.5 scholarships for a school that costs $18,000 (annually)," Wallace said. "If you look at that in practical terms, we shouldn’t be out here competing. Moneywise, it’s not an even playing field.”

By the way this guy could have and probably should have been the Wofford baseball coach. Good luck Pioneers
ILoveWofford

Postby bigdogbarking on Sun May 24, 2009 8:39 am

Enough already. If Wallace is such a great coach, then why is he at a JUCO? Don't answer it, I know. JUCO ball is different than D1 Ball. You can basically take anyone off the street who throws 95 or can hit a ball 450 feet, but can't read. D1's send players to JUCO so they can improve their grades and then hopefully get into their schools. This next year is the next year for Coach I, the majority of this team is his choices. This years freshman class hit a wall, it won't happen when they are sophomores. I'm going to promise that if Coach I's record doesn't improve next year, I will be first in line to rip him. Until then, chill. As for the football talk....TAKE IT TO ANOTHER FORUM!!!!!!
bigdogbarking

Postby BossTerrier on Sun May 24, 2009 12:07 pm

Typical response from a Coach I blowhard...bashing JUCO coaching level. And please tell me, Big Dog, what level was Coach I a head coach at again before coming to Wofford? And no fantasy league baseball on ESPN doesn't count,although, he probably got schooled in that as well.
Last edited by BossTerrier on Mon May 25, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball