Congratulations

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Congratulations

Postby ILoveWofford on Mon May 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Just wanted to pass along to all of you these two stories on the SMC baseball team and Coach Tim Wallace.

Wanted to personally congratulate Coach Wallace on another fantastic yaer and setting the school record in wins on his way to yet another World Series appearance. Great to see Wofford alumni having success. Congrats to them and good luck in Colorado.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/200905 ... rld-Series

http://goupstate.us/index.php/2009/05/1 ... ng?blog=16
ILoveWofford

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue May 19, 2009 9:30 pm

It pains me so much to see a guy that could have and should have been coaching Wofford this year continue to churn out the great pitchers, the wins, and the success that he always does. Wallace coached the American Legion Post 28 team here in Spartanburg for two years. Both years resulted in state championships and respectable runs in the regionals. Since he left, they have not won another title. Coincidence? I think not. Wallace is one of the best baseball coaches in the nation at any level and is a class act to boot.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 20, 2009 10:15 am

Please stop! I literally become physically ill when I think about that decision. Wofford does so many things right that when they/we blow one so badly, it really shakes me up.
There is no better person than Tim (and Beth) Wallace, notwithstanding his accomplishments and ability as a coach. He deserves better than Wofford baseball and we deserve what we get with that decision.
I just pray that when Mike Ayers goes, we don't entrust replacing him to some d*mn committee consisting of people who have no clue to what planet they are living on, much less Wofford athletics. If they want to see how fast an athletic program will fall, let 'em make that same decision again.
I am through with Wofford baseball for this year. Hope better days are ahead but I doubt it. Now, where is the Pepto for my ulcer.................
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 am

Tim Wallace is a real gem--a fellow alum for whom we should all be
proud. Maybe it's better he remained at SMC.

We can always join the Pioneer Club.
terriers

Postby MarleyDogg on Wed May 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Congrats Tim!! Good luck in the World Series!
MarleyDogg
True Terrier Fan

Postby woco on Wed May 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Please stop! I literally become physically ill when I think about that decision. Wofford does so many things right that when they/we blow one so badly, it really shakes me up.

Ruckus--there is no they/we. When this hire was announced, RJ proudly claimed to be the one to make that decision. Of course, what has been revealed over the last 1 1/2 years is that his compliance director was whispering in his ear who to hire- her good friend- Coach I thus making the national search committee a complete farse for the whole Wofford and Sptg Community.
BTW that's who you are relying on to find MA's replacement one day. Now you know the rest (and the truth) of the story...
One of Wofford's worse moments in athletic history IMO.

The winners in all of this are the young men on Coach Wallace's team.
Good luck in Colorado!
woco

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Let's don't rehash all of this again, PLEASE!!!!!!! I am not kidding about the physical ailment thing.
I agree. Worst decision in our history.......and we were sitting in the catbird's seat to make the right call and blew it.
I support Coach I and the team; and most of you know that I bleed black and gold so I am not trying to undermine the program by asking this question; but rhetorically speaking: how many schools or ADs turn their back on an alum (at a school where not every good player can succeed academically), Hall of Famer, former professional player who has actually coached and won NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS; AND has coached several big leaguers and college coaches, sent numerous talent to D-1 schools, is entrenched in some of the hottest talent pools in the country, and widely regarded in the coaching circles as one of the best? Don't even consider the fact that the guy is one heck of a human being, father, and husband, runs a completely clean program, and his players LOVE to play for the guy........and all he does is win with class and represent his alma mater with dignity. What school in the country regardless of the other applicants, looks him in the eye and says: "Nah, you're not our guy. We think there is someone better." ?????????????
It is this question that keeps me up at night and makes me feel like puking my guts up when we lose our last 14 straight by embarassing margins. At a minimum, wouldn't a prudent, clear thinking AD who knows he is underfunded and behind the 8 ball financially choose the one option that no one could really second guess, instead of the one option that has the MOST questions atteached with it?
I am as shocked today as I was 2 years ago. I am not sure I will ever get over it regardless of the success I hope Coach I and the team achieve. The only saving grace is, as Terriers points out, Tim Wallace is really better off without us.
Good luck in Colorado, Pioneers!!!!!!!! This Terrier is pulling for you.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Wed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Ruckus, I share your frustration. When the announcement was made
I called every fellow Board member, as well as every staff member
I knew to voice my outrage and seek an explanation. Everyone I
called agreed with me and were at a loss as to why the decision was
made.

The only explanation I ever got from one staff member was that
Wallace did not interview well. Give me a break!

I probably should have handled this with a private memo to you but
I, too, have been frustrated for a long time.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Sorry to have opened an old wound. I apologize to everyone for doing the one thing I warned against. Once I got started, I couldn't help myself. Trying to move on and look to the future. Good things will eventually happen with our program. We are too good an institution for it not to.
But once again, if we hire MA's replacement (and as many of us would like to forget, that day IS coming) based on being a good interview or not, we are in for a rude awakening. These kind of decisions fly under the radar in non-revenue sports which aren't cloesly followed but football is a different animal.
Just a thought: wonder what kind of interview MA gave over that milkshake at the Biltmore dairy in 1988? I sure miss Danny Morrison and Joab Lesesne.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woco on Wed May 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Agree with you there Ruckus--hasn't been the same without Joab and Danny.
As far as the interview comment from Terriers--I can't help but wonder if "he didn't interview well" in comparison to the current coach's inside guidance and prepping by the compliance director who SERVED on the "search committee". Perhaps he just didn't seem to have all the answers that the committee was looking for and Coach I did...funny how that worked out. (and yes, it did happened)
I am sorry but if you are in the REAL world, you lose your job over that kind of unethical behavior.
Thanks again RJ--great leadership on your part!
woco

Postby terriers on Wed May 20, 2009 4:17 pm

This matter is closed. I always have and always will support Coach I
and the Terriers.

I don't want to think about how MA's successor will be selected. I
have always been against cloning but it might not be a bad idea.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 20, 2009 4:27 pm

We got a limited edition there, T-man. They don't make 'em like MA anymore.
The matter is closed.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby MarleyDogg on Wed May 20, 2009 5:25 pm

Not to continue letting this thread ravel off-topic, but don't you guys see a possibility for us to stay within the Coach Ayers "Coaching Tree" in order to keep philosophies the same at WoCo when that dreaded day does come. I've though about this before - I know we can't truly replace him but maybe we can move forward with someone very similar who has been schooled in his ways...just a thought.
Last edited by MarleyDogg on Thu May 21, 2009 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarleyDogg
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 20, 2009 5:52 pm

We can only hope that we have re-thought our athletic hiring processes by then so that very thing will happen. But recent history is not a good indicator in this regard.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu May 21, 2009 11:56 pm

MarleyDogg wrote:Not to continue letting this thread ravel off-topic, but don't you guys see a possibility for us to stay within the Coach Ayers "Coaching Tree" in order to keep philosophies the same at WoCo when that dreaded day does come. I've though about this before - I know we can't truly replace him but maybe we can move forward with someone very similar who has been schooled in his ways...just a thought.

I don't really see any viable way we could continue to be successful unless we stay within the Ayers tree. The current system is proven to work and the last thing I want to see is somebody coming in here trying to install a West Coast Offense or something.

The way I see it, either we stay withthe philosophy that brought us to where we are, or we parole Chattanooga from the cellar of the conference.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball