The season has finally ended...

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The season has finally ended...

Postby ILoveWofford on Sun May 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Just a few thoughts on today's game and the year, especially for my buddy dialing8.

I watched the game today on tv and just have to mention what i saw in the second inning today. With the dogs up 4-1 and runners on first and third. Gilmartin at the plate...who already hit a 3 run bomb in the first...Coach I tries a double steal. WTF...is that for real or what. That plays stinks like dog doo in any sitiuation that early in the game but with your best player and one of the best in the league at the plate who already homered...I am sorry, that was one of the worst moves i have ever seen in baseball. FYI...they didn't score that inning and not again until the 9th...oh yeah they lost again an finished with the worst record in the league.

About the year...everyone knows how bad it was...but I will go back to some important stats...especially for my "guru" friend dialing8...

Wofford
(hitters) 434 K's in 49 games...WOW
(pitchers) 312 Walks (only 313 k's as a staff)...WOW, WOW
189 runs given up in their final 14 games...(over 13 a game)...HOLY WOW

One last thing...varsity sports teams at the college level are suppossed to get better as the year goes on. It happens every year. On a national seen take MSU hoops this past year...slow start, were good in the middle and end of year and played great in tourney getting to final game. Take the Wofford men's hoop team...although they lost in the tourney...that was a young team for the most part and they got better and better all year and was a dangerous hoop team down the stretch. So why is it that this baseball team, who was not real good at the start of the year, just kept getting worse...and although I am not sure on every team in Division 1...the terriers in 2008-2009 were probably one of the worst teams in the entire country over the last month of the season.

I will look forward to the football season an hopefully another great hoop year. I will put this baseball team out of my mind until next year and although it pains me to say this...probably some of the same stuff as this year will take place.

[/u]
ILoveWofford

Postby wocogoose94 on Sun May 17, 2009 10:11 pm

Final SOCON game stats

Hitting .271 11th in conference
ERA 8.81 11th in conference
Fielding .949 11th in conference

Wofford was 9th in all 3 categories in 2008
wocogoose94

Postby brknprk on Mon May 18, 2009 6:10 pm

ILoveWofford, what a great post my friend. You are dead on target!!! Oh, but wait.......the team has made such great strides and has done such amazing things!!! because they beat Furman and Carolina!!! but still came in last place? Hmm? What happened? Oh, now we will hear all the, "tired arms" lack of sleep, due to studying, and lack of nutrition and lack of just about everything. Always trying to justify why we can't produce as a DivI baseball team. The stats say it all.
brknprk

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue May 19, 2009 9:26 pm

The program is horrible, and there is no way to sugarcoat it. Like you said, stats don't lie and it sure looks like the players quit after that 18-inning Elon loss. Thank God it's over. We should really just consider a D-3 baseball program if we're not going to raise scholarships up to the level of the rest of the conference.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball