Wofford - CofC series

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 11, 2009 7:38 pm

Sorry, you must have the wrong poster. I dont think I have said that.
wocogoose94

Postby fterriertags on Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 pm

ILove Wofford, I so agree with what you are saying. This is not all about money. We have talent? Do we have what we think we have? Let's go around the field. First base, average at best. Second, average at best. Shortstop, with Gilmartin, he is by far the best player out there. He is not a primary pitcher, he is a closer. Outfield, young and average at best. The catchers that we have were suppose to be the best ever coming in. Check out their BA's and passed balls. Again, the gripes: young, tired from studying so much, lack of schollys, lack of nutrition now, tired of playing at this point, which is absolutely ridiculous! the excuses go on and on. Why not view the coaching staff individually? What is their experience? How well do they fully work our team to their potential? There's more to this than meets the eyes in the stands and the gripes in the stands. Most of you complain that your "Johnny" is not out on the field and not getting the play time YOU think he deserves and more recently a parent that outwardly says her son IS the best player on the team and he's getting screwed!!!! I sometimes feel like I am surrounded by little league parents. Get a grip! Read the Coach Wallace text that was recently on here. Coaching should be easy. The guys should be wanting to play more ball and NOT dreading that the season is not over yet as well as our parents complaining "is it almost over"? Wofford baseball is what it is. What you see is what we get. How do we change it? Again, DIV I baseball. Should we have to step in? Shouldn't an excellent program speak for itself?
fterriertags

Postby ILoveWofford on Mon May 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Please accept my apology wocogoose...it was dialing8 I was targeting for his stupid remarks.
ILoveWofford

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 11, 2009 9:17 pm

Apology accepted. No problem at all
wocogoose94

Postby Natural on Tue May 12, 2009 12:39 am

Earlier in this thread, "wocogoose94" posed the question of why Davidson has improved this season from 4 wins in conference to 11. The answer can be found in their lineup and on their schedule. They were fortunate to play Elon and ASU early in the year and as he pointed out, they had 2 with Elon and 1 with ASU washed out... so those are games we do not know how they would have turned out. More importantly, check out who they start in their lineup:

5 Seniors
1 Sophomore
2 Freshman

By comparison, we start 3 Juniors, 2 Sophomores, 3 Freshman.

More importantly, Davidson's top 6 pitchers are:

1 Senior
1 Junior
2 Sophomores
2 Freshman

On the other hand, due to injuries we were forced to rely on 1 Senior, 1 Sophomore, and 5-6 Freshmen. Tough to win in the SOCON when your lineup AND your pitching staff is so very young.

I agree with looking at this comparison. We should be comparing ourselves to Furman, Davidson and perhaps Samford.... not Elon, COC, ASU, WCU or GA Southern. These schools are either much larger than Wofford in enrollment or scholarships or both. And most of them recruit JUCO transfers so they are continuously reloading with experienced upperclassmen. Like Furman and Davidson we have to "grow up" our team and this season we are on the young end of the spectrum, while Davidson is not. We should aspire to similar improvement in conference over the next two years. The encouraging sign should be that our young team won 2 of 3 from both Furman and Davidson this season, and almost did the same with Samford on the road in the season opener. I fully understand the disappointment with the past three weeks. I felt the pain as well. But keep it in perspective, don't kid ourselves about who we are and look forward to the future.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Natural wrote:Earlier in this thread, "wocogoose94" posed the question of why Davidson has improved this season from 4 wins in conference to 11. The answer can be found in their lineup and on their schedule. They were fortunate to play Elon and ASU early in the year and as he pointed out, they had 2 with Elon and 1 with ASU washed out... so those are games we do not know how they would have turned out. More importantly, check out who they start in their lineup:

5 Seniors
1 Sophomore
2 Freshman

By comparison, we start 3 Juniors, 2 Sophomores, 3 Freshman.

More importantly, Davidson's top 6 pitchers are:

1 Senior
1 Junior
2 Sophomores
2 Freshman

On the other hand, due to injuries we were forced to rely on 1 Senior, 1 Sophomore, and 5-6 Freshmen. Tough to win in the SOCON when your lineup AND your pitching staff is so very young.

I agree with looking at this comparison. We should be comparing ourselves to Furman, Davidson and perhaps Samford.... not Elon, COC, ASU, WCU or GA Southern. These schools are either much larger than Wofford in enrollment or scholarships or both. And most of them recruit JUCO transfers so they are continuously reloading with experienced upperclassmen. Like Furman and Davidson we have to "grow up" our team and this season we are on the young end of the spectrum, while Davidson is not. We should aspire to similar improvement in conference over the next two years. The encouraging sign should be that our young team won 2 of 3 from both Furman and Davidson this season, and almost did the same with Samford on the road in the season opener. I fully understand the disappointment with the past three weeks. I felt the pain as well. But keep it in perspective, don't kid ourselves about who we are and look forward to the future.

we took 2 our of 3 from them. There is a deeper issue here. We should have won many more conf games.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby willytrip on Tue May 12, 2009 12:56 pm

I agree with batman1's comment regarding the pressures felt during exams. Can someone comment on the following? I heard that one of the players was allowed not to play in this past Sunday's game supposedly because he had 2 exams on Monday. I was told that the player went over Coach I's head and got approval from RJ to miss the game. In my opnion actions like this does not help the team but instead demonstrates that double standards exists among the players. I am sure that there were several other players who had exams on Monday as well but were not allowed to miss the game. Does anyone have a comment?
willytrip

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 12, 2009 4:29 pm

willytrip wrote:I agree with batman1's comment regarding the pressures felt during exams. Can someone comment on the following? I heard that one of the players was allowed not to play in this past Sunday's game supposedly because he had 2 exams on Monday. I was told that the player went over Coach I's head and got approval from RJ to miss the game. In my opnion actions like this does not help the team but instead demonstrates that double standards exists among the players. I am sure that there were several other players who had exams on Monday as well but were not allowed to miss the game. Does anyone have a comment?

if this is true it shows the lack of respect for the coach and lack of trust in the coach from the players...
BossTerrier

Postby Sparklepup on Tue May 12, 2009 4:57 pm

willytrip wrote:I agree with batman1's comment regarding the pressures felt during exams. Can someone comment on the following? I heard that one of the players was allowed not to play in this past Sunday's game supposedly because he had 2 exams on Monday. I was told that the player went over Coach I's head and got approval from RJ to miss the game. In my opnion actions like this does not help the team but instead demonstrates that double standards exists among the players. I am sure that there were several other players who had exams on Monday as well but were not allowed to miss the game. Does anyone have a comment?

My comment would be that this is hearsay. When you "hear" about something that "supposedly" happened...you really shouldn't comment on it or form an opinion until you find out what actually did happen.
Sparklepup

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 12, 2009 8:36 pm

Sparklepup wrote:

My comment would be that this is hearsay. When you "hear" about something that "supposedly" happened...you really shouldn't comment on it or form an opinion until you find out what actually did happen.

Fair point SP, but "if true..."
BossTerrier

Postby willytrip on Tue May 12, 2009 10:22 pm

Sparklepup,
I wish to clarify that I would never post information that was considered "hearsay", but I have confirmed this to be true and that it was not approved by the coach.That being the case we have a problem that goes beyond and outside of the field. Are there double standards for two sport players? If so this is wrong. If you are on a team you play with the team. These things do nothing for team chemistry.
willytrip

Postby Sparklepup on Wed May 13, 2009 11:28 am

willytrip wrote:Sparklepup,
I wish to clarify that I would never post information that was considered "hearsay", but I have confirmed this to be true and that it was not approved by the coach.That being the case we have a problem that goes beyond and outside of the field. Are there double standards for two sport players? If so this is wrong. If you are on a team you play with the team. These things do nothing for team chemistry.

The way the post was originally written sounded like hearsay to me. If you have confirmed this to be true then fair enough and everyone can form their own opinions on the subject and you are certainly entitled to express yours. Obviously, going over the coaches head raises certain issues. Academics should come first everytime. 2 exams in one day is hard enough on a regular student much less a student athlete. With that being said, the young man was probably aware of his exam schedule some time ago. He has obligations to his team and teammates that include time management. I can see where opinions will vary in this case. But quite fankly, I think the baseball team has other problems to which more attention should be paid.
Sparklepup

Postby willytrip on Wed May 13, 2009 6:38 pm

Sparklepup, I agree with your comments that academics come first and that we do have bigger problems to deal with such as lack of scholarships, team injuries and the youth of the team, so why cause additional problems? My issue with the situation is that everyone on the team had at least one if not two exams on Monday. Nothing against the player for wanting to study but baseball is a team sport and everyone should be treated equally and fairly. I am just disappointed in the way this was handled by the administration.

"No organization will ever rise above the level of its leader"
willytrip

Postby woffordfan19 on Wed May 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Williytrip,

Im not sure where you confirmed your information from, but it was well known that this was actually Coach I's call. The player had 3 exams on monday and 1 tuesday morning, and Coach I asked the player to play friday and saturday, and take sunday off. Coach I directed the player to do this, and the player had no say so in the matter. I would get get your facts straight before getting on a public board and calling out a player.
woffordfan19

Postby Natural on Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm

This type of discussion really chaps me. Last year posters on this board torched the coach when he did not allow a player to leave after a game to take his girlfriend to the airport. Now, he puts academics first and gets torched for that. Gimme a break.

Being a baseball player at Wofford is without doubt the toughest challenge any student athlete can face. No other sport plays 56 games in 13 weeks including 3 game overnight hotel stays on away game trips. Not one - only baseball. And yet at Wofford, the players get no special considerations, no academic tutors, study halls, or help of any kind. They are expected to perform as normal students despite putting in 4, 6 or sometimes 8 hour days on the baseball field. If a player asked for and was granted some "grace" in order to succeed in the classroom then there must have been a good reason for it and it is no reason to attack the administration or the coach - whoever made the decision. As I said, these guys carry the toughest load at the school bar none and should receive nothing but our respect and admiration for what they do.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball