Wofford - CofC series

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford - CofC series

Postby wocogoose94 on Sat May 09, 2009 1:13 am

Terriers lose 1st game 18-2. Unfortunately it was more of the same as of late: 4 errors and 7 walks.

It may be that I havent looked at the other games that closely, but it seems to me that having the starter throw 142 pitches in 6.2 innings is a little out of the ordinary. I know the starter is a senior and its near the end of the year, but what do others think?
wocogoose94

Re: Wofford - CofC series

Postby dialing8 on Sat May 09, 2009 10:15 am

wocogoose94 wrote: what do others think?

Insane. The game is out of hand and a pitcher is abused/overused.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby fterriertags on Sat May 09, 2009 9:55 pm

24-7! Absolutely ridiculous! I have never understood why we continue to leave pitchers in to get so beat up.
Last edited by fterriertags on Sat May 09, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fterriertags

Postby woco on Sat May 09, 2009 9:59 pm

Wofford loses to C of C 24-7 in Saturday's game.

See Todd Shanesy's blog below--

The irony of it all.....I hope RJ was standing within earshot of this interview.
What a loose....and I don't mean the game.

SoCon coach tries to emulate Wallace
Posted May 09th 2009 06:35:48 pm by Todd Shanesy
Categories: Sports
College of Charleston baseball coach Monte Lee just shakes his head at the suggestion that he has passed his mentor, Tim Wallace of Spartanburg Methodist, on the supposed hierarchy.
Lee, a Spartanburg native who was an assistant for two years at SMC and then seven at South Carolina, is in town for a weekend series against Wofford. He has considerable interest in what is going on about an hour up I-85 in Gastonia, where the Pioneers are on the verge of winning the Region 10 championship and breaking the school’s all-time single-season victories record (51) set when Lee was there in 2002.
“Coach Wallace is one of the best baseball people in the game, regardless of level,” Lee said Friday night after the Cougars whipped Wofford, 18-2, in the first of a three-game series. “I give him a lot of credit for the way I coach because Tim Wallace means an awful lot to me. I really try to mold myself to the type of person he is, the way he coaches a team and the way he carries himself.
“He’s the best in the business. I think he’s one of the best coaches in the game, period. His knowledge of the game transcends all levels of baseball. If you ask me if there is anybody better than Tim Wallace in the game, I would have to say no. I don’t know anybody who is better.” Wallace is a Wofford Hall of Famer who played there in 1981 and 1982 before turning pro, still owns the school record with a .459 career batting average and had a 37-game hitting streak. At the end of this 18th regular season at SMC, he won his 800th game. His teams play so well, Lee said, simply because the players enjoy playing for him and have so much respect for him.
“You want the players to be able to relax and just play baseball,” Lee said. “That’s the one thing I really learned from him. Don’t feel like you have to push all the buttons to win a ball game. I give our guys the freedom to run the bases hard, to be themselves, and I don’t try to micromanage the team during a game. I just let them play.”
woco

Postby lawdog on Sat May 09, 2009 11:52 pm

When a team that was playing so well goes so South so fast, that usually means one thing.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Sun May 10, 2009 10:21 am

5 more errors and 9 more walks. 9 errors and 16 walks in the first two games of the series. Can Wofford bounce back and win their home finale?
wocogoose94

Postby dialing8 on Sun May 10, 2009 11:23 am

lawdog wrote:When a team that was playing so well goes so South so fast, that usually means one thing.

So let's hear some suggestions besides scholarships. These kids are better than they are playing. Our pitchers were better when they left high school. All velocities are down. No strikes are being thrown. In my opinion we must have the worst conditioning program in the country. Our kids look tired and they look like they have all lost weight since the season began.
Instead of running and lifting maybe the coaches should consider a better nutrition plan---like make these kids eat to stay strong. We are not a track team. Who cares how conditioned we are when we are not in condition for BASEBALL!!
In the real world someone's head would have to roll. Should it be the top guy--NO, but someone, even if it is the strength coach has to go to make this thing work.
Last edited by dialing8 on Mon May 11, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Sun May 10, 2009 10:18 pm

With one series at GSU left, here's how the 2009 team compares to last year. SOCON stats only.

Batting .284 9th in conference
ERA 9.36 9th in conference
Fielding .956 9th in conference

Batting .268 10th in conference
ERA 8.48 11th in conference
Fielding .950 11th in conference

The additional scholarship that the baseball team received this year hasnt provided the return expected. Maybe it's not all about additional scholarships.
wocogoose94

Bad news terriers....

Postby ILoveWofford on Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 pm

47-9 this weekend the dogs were outscored and in their current 11 game losing streak they have given up an astonishing 152 runs...I cannot bear myself to look at the stats and see how many errors and walks were issued out....and I am sure the dogs struck out their fair share of times as well. It really is sad to see the level of play being witnessed these last few wekks. It is very clear that everyone just wants this dismal season to end. It is getting harder and harder to watch this baseball team play year in and year out.
152 runs in 11 games...that is like 13-14 runs per game. That is unacceptable in division 1 baseball. Bad baseball period...nobody can argue with that, but some of you posters will find some excuse I am sure.
ILoveWofford

Postby dialing8 on Mon May 11, 2009 12:20 am

wocogoose94 wrote:
The additional scholarship that the baseball team received this year hasnt provided the return expected. Maybe it's not all about additional scholarships.

Well let's see, it has given you freshman starters at 3-5 positions depending on who starts on the mound, so i'm not sure you know what you are talking about.
Since a scholorship is divided between 4 kids at 25% each under the new rules, it looks like it was well spent.
It appears you just want to complain all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I am not happy either, but I see talent and see that this team will get better IF they develop the arms they have and get Nordsey and Dolinack back next year. Had these two been healthy then all the freshman that started and got beat up on the weekends would have been middle relief guys who would not have been thrown in the fire from day one.
Did you and your buddy ILOVEWOFFORD really expect Wofford to beat Elon and CofC and App.State? Each team was red hot when we played them. App. was on like a 15 game winning streak, Elon had the second longest home win streak in the nation and CofC had won 8 or 9 straight coming into Spartanburg.

Here is a cut and paste from another site on CofC----
No offense? Not hardly
24-7, 27-10, 20-6, 25-6, 21-8, 15-14, 27-9, 16-7, 17-7, 30-10.

The season scores for a college football team?

No, those are just some of the scores of College of Charleston games this baseball season. In 28 of the Cougars'50 games so far, one or both teams have reached double figures in runs scored.

I can't ever remember anything like it around here.

CofC is batting .359 as a team and averaging 10.62 runs and 13.2 hits per game. Amazingly, the Cougars have lost three times when they've scored 10 or more runs and won four times when their opponent scored 10 or more.

Only one of these scores include the Wofford games.
What I found interesting was that Wofford played a good game on Sunday after getting their brains beat out in the second half of the first two games. Hardly a team that quits, even though I'm sure they want to some times.
As I said before go see which programs are fully funded. They are the ones at the top of the SoCon. Now that is FACT. Elon is not full, but has double what Wofford has.
CofC has commits from the best pitcher at Boiling Springs, Spartanburg, Riverside and Greenwood, Spring Valley and Laurens. The Spartanburg kid is in the 10th GRADE. The others are in the 12th. Without money Coach I can not even look up their GPA's before CofC has them locked up. Now that is FACT also.
Wofford has a commit from the best pitcher at Landrum and Spartanburg's side arm kid.
Do you see the problem yet??
Can you NOW say scholarships do not matter?

So all I ask is that you give me facts that matter, not the general hate mail.

dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 11, 2009 8:50 am

No, I didn't expect Wofford to win all three of their previous SOCON series, but I also certainly didnt expect to get swept in all three either.

Since Ga. Southern is in 2nd place in the conference and swept Samford this past weekend, does that mean that Wofford should expect to get swept this coming weekend? I certainly hope not.

How many baseball scholarships does each SOCON team have and where does one find this information?
wocogoose94

Postby dialing8 on Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 am

wocogoose94 wrote:
How many baseball scholarships does each SOCON team have and where does one find this information?

Someone told me this is on each teams website. Well it is hidden well because I can not find it. I have been told Wofford is almost at 5.(If you are almost at 5, I'm sure I would hide that information so well only a CSI computer lab could find it), Furman is 7. CofC is at 11.7(less what they lose for their sorry academic progress rate), Citadel is at 11.7, Ga. Southern is at 11.7,Western is over 10, UNC-G is around 9. Who knows for sure, but this comes from coaches and parents whose kids play at these schools.
I think our AD has the numbers but will not share them with us if we ask, so I do not ask.

AND--as far as scholarships go, I did some more checking on what those will get you. CofC also has commits from Sptg. Methodist pitchers Heath Hembree(era of 1.00), John Salley(I think he is a closer), Jamie Holler(also plays ss).
Then they have Sptg. Methodist players Ross Hanna(DH hitting over .400) and Arturo Mogrezutt(ss),
Also---SS Justin Trapp from Fairfield Central high school .

So add these players to the list I posted earlier and you will see our coaches are in a fight with both their hands tied behind their back.
And do not forget CofC has other JuCo players and other high school players coming from outside of South Carolina.
All of these players are on athletic money. A few as high as 70% of a free ride.

I am willing to bet you that the conferance standings will almost line up with scholorship dollars put into the program.
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 11, 2009 12:03 pm

I was curious as to the number of schollies Davidson has. They have gone from 4-23 a year ago to 11-13 so far with a series at home against WCU this weekend. They have also had three conference games canceled this year. Two with Elon and one with ASU. They were 1-0 vs. Elon and 1-1 vs. ASU in the games that were played.

I was wondering what has contributed to their big turnaround this year. Any opinions?

Also, for next year, why not make Gilmartin a starter? Statistically, he's been the best pitcher by far this year.
wocogoose94

Postby batman1 on Mon May 11, 2009 2:01 pm

It seems that each year we hit a wall in the games preceding exams. The teams we play have already finished while our guys are studying for exams and playing ball with little or no sleep. I expect that we will play a lot better next weekend, based on what they have done in the past seasons under the same circumstances.
batman1

You see talent...?

Postby ILoveWofford on Mon May 11, 2009 4:39 pm

wocogoose or however you spell it...Are you serious. I just am stating the facts, whether you or anyone on this site agree; I really want the team to do well and be successful. I am a long time supporter of Wofford. You said something about freshman and developing the pitching staff and that "you see talent". Your looking at the wrong team bro...yes there are some good players offensively and Gilmartin is one of the better players in the league...but their pitching staff is awful and they kick it around too much. From what i have seen and I have been to a lot of games, the young guys and the staff is not a talented group of Division 1 players. I do know what I am talking about, maybe it is you who should rethink how much you know about the game.
ILoveWofford

Next

Return to Baseball