How does Elon do it?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

How does Elon do it?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue May 05, 2009 4:01 pm

THIS is a program we really need to look at and try to emulate here at Wofford. I say that because, like us, Elon is a small private school with high academic standards and no public (state) funding, and they have a football program (a very competitive one). Forget College of Charleston, Georgia Southern, and schools like those that have the advantages of being state-supported and/or not having football. Elon, like Wofford, has no such advantages. It seems to me that if a school like Elon can do it in baseball, so can we. I have no idea what the tuition is at Elon, but I am sure that it is comparable to that at Wofford- so a "scholarship" there probably has about the same kind of "value" as one at Wofford does, and I think Elon is able to offer 11.7 or close to it (correct me if I'm wrong). If they can, so can we! And Elon hasn't been D-1 that long either- I remember USCS beating the daylights out of Elon in Duncan Park back in the late 80s and early 90s. In fact, Wofford was a SoCon member before Elon was. So what's Elon's secret of success on the diamond? IT'S SCHOLASHIPS, PEOPLE, PURE AND SIMPLE! Wofford (and I mean athletic department, administation, alumni and fans) needs to step up for this baseball program and stop treating baseball as a redheaded stepchild! There is no reason Wofford can't be just like Elon.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: How does Elon do it?

Postby dialing8 on Tue May 05, 2009 4:53 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote: I have no idea what the tuition is at Elon, but I am sure that it is comparable to that at Wofford- so a "scholarship" there probably has about the same kind of "value" as one at Wofford does, and I think Elon is able to offer 11.7 or close to it (correct me if I'm wrong). If they can, so can we! -- IT'S SCHOLASHIPS, PEOPLE, PURE AND SIMPLE! Wofford (and I mean athletic department, administation, alumni and fans) needs to step up for this baseball program and stop treating baseball as a redheaded stepchild! There is no reason Wofford can't be just like Elon.

Elon tuition is about 31K.
They have about 8-9 scholarships to Wofford close to 5 or at least that is what I have heard.
That is 6-12 more players that would look at us if they Wofford could offer them baseball $$$.
That is the difference. It is money.
With more money maybe the T-dogs would not have started sinking when 2 of their 3 middle infielders went down with injuries.

ALSO---Elon does have 8 JuCo transfers. These are kids that have excelled at that level and are in for a year or two to get drafted. That type player is hard to fit into the Wofford scene with interim, hunanities, etc. that they would not have taken in JuCo.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby fterriertags on Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 pm

Juco transfers do not work at Wofford. Been there, done that. I agree with Wofford94, how DOES Elon do it?
fterriertags

Postby lawdog on Tue May 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Elon, while not a large school, still has about three times more undergrad students than Wofford. Plus, it has a law school and several grad programs. It also recruits a lot throughout the Northeast.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Jimbear on Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 pm

Elon is an excellent university because it is NOT Wofford and is not trying to be like us. They are a good college for average students. Most of the students there have never been in leadership positions in high school so they get a chance there. Elon is where kids go who want to go to UNC, Duke, NC State, Wake but can not get in.

They do not have the academic standards that we do. The campus looks terrific and they are in a good location right on the interstate. If I had a "C" student I would send them to Elon. If I had an "A" student, I send them to Wofford.
Jimbear

Return to Baseball