Gilmartin 2 Furman 0

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Gilmartin 2 Furman 0

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Enough Said!

Postby Ruckus on Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:11 pm

It occurrd to me that with a win today completing the sweep of the Furples we will have completely swept them in the 3 major men's sports (sorry soccer fans) this year.
I don't know if we have ever done that before but is my definition of a successful year in Wofford athletics. Go Terriers!!!!!!!!!!
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Too much of a jinx to overcome today as they lost by giving up the tying run in the 8th and the winning run in the 9th. Still a conference series win, although not unexpected against a team below Wofford in the standings.

Postby brknprk on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:24 pm

Unfortunately, we did not sweep but we came awful darn close. The boys played well and fought to the end. Seems like we need to practice on throwing guys out at the bases? Each game we play there seems to be alot of stolen bases, some that cost us runs. It was a great day at the field and Coach I is definitely working hard with this team. Bring on App State and let's keep going ahead!

Postby shortstop02 on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:39 am

All in all I thought it was a great weekend, just came up a bit short in today's game. Two out walks that score in the ninth are always hard to swallow, but this team has improved every week. Even when it has taken a step back, they surprise us and show us something new. Coach I has done a wonderful job with helping this young group of talented athletes learn the college game and how to play it. The step up from high school is never easy and he has helped make the transition smooth.
As for the the sb's on us, sometimes its a combination of the pitcher and the catcher. I think our catchers arm's our strong enough but the pitcher's may be taking too much time getting to the plate.
Aside from all that I have really enjoyed watching this team play this year, and judging by the improvement's our freshmen have made throughout the year I really think that this team will better next year and for the years to come.

Postby terriers on Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:03 pm

Although we did not sweep the series, we still took two of three and'
therefore defeated Furman in all three major sports. I think I can
safely say this has never been done in the history of our school. I,
personally have followed all the games since 1949 and I know it
hasn't ocurred since then. Furman owned us in football during the
20's, 30's, and early 40's so I feel confident in saying this is a "first"
for our program.

This may not seem important to some of you younger guys but,
to some of us my age, itis huge--not only because it was a difficult
accomplishment but because it scratched a 50 year old itch. Congrats
to Coach I and his boys and GO TERRIERS!!

Return to Baseball