Lost two to Citadel

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Lost two to Citadel

Postby lawdog on Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:24 am

Lost most recently 6-4. Our pitching seems to be getting better, but our hitting is tapering off.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:58 pm

But they lost 13-3 Friday night. So I guess they did improve by only giving up 6 runs yesterday
wocogoose94

Postby bigdogbarking on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:07 pm

A lot of tired swings out there. It looks they they need a day away from the cages on off days.
bigdogbarking

Postby fterriertags on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:54 pm

More excuses. They CANNOT win in the SOCON looking like they did this weekend.
fterriertags

Postby sickem on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:08 pm

fterriertags wrote:More excuses. They CANNOT win in the SOCON looking like they did this weekend.

Won 5-4 today. Showed character by winning game 3 and not throwing in the towel.
sickem

Postby dialing8 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:32 am

fterriertags wrote:More excuses. They CANNOT win in the SOCON looking like they did this weekend.

My friend you know not what you are talking about. Were you in Charleston this weekend?!?!? I was there for the games and the bridge run. This team played well. They played against one of the best hitting teams in the SoCon. the pitching staff is also one of the best 2-3 in the SoCon. the Friday night game was closer than the score.
These kids are going to be something special. You find me another team in the NCAA that has 6 of their top 10 pitchers with 10+ innings being freshmen and I'll buy you dinner!!!
Better yet why don't you admit that you don't understand the game.
As for what another poster said, this team might be a little tired, but a few home games will cure that. They played 5 straight games on the road.
When 6 or 7 of 9 starters are usually freshmen and sophmores it is tough. These kids have not been conditioned to play 5 games a week and go to a real college at the same time.
Ain't no basket weaving or parks mgmt. majors at Wofford.
dialing8

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 am

Every weekend it's the same thing: no, not the team but this board. Those who see the glass half empty and look for more of the same mediocrity (if we can even call it that) from this team who are sniping with those who see it half full because they are certain we are on the verge of greatness. The truth is we are not going to win the Socon winning just 2 of 3 games a weekend regardless of how great the team we played may be; because until we become THAT team we will continue to lose. But we are very very young and have some great talent and potential. We are pitching freshmen and by competing in close games and pulling out a few we should draw confidence and comfort that the team is fighting hard and better days are ahead.
But enough already of all these personal insults and bickering. If I want to read that crap, I'll just follow USC or Clemson.
It is what it is: we are a young team with young arms with a young coach with precious few schollies at a school that has put baseball far down the list of athletic priority. Get over it and move on.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby SC_Terrier on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:18 am

From a former player's perspective, I see signs of things improving in the coming years because in years past, Wofford teams were swept by the more talented teams like the Citadel and a good Samford team. But this year, while we are not winning 2 out of 3, we are not getting swept. And both of those weekends included wins on Sunday. That says a lot about the team and the coach and his ability to get the guys up mentally and preventing 0-3 weekends.

In year's past, this year's Citadel team would have swept Wofford.
SC_Terrier

Heart

Postby bigdogbarking on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:45 pm

I love teams with heart. This team has a big one. They are young but they will be fun to watch over the next two years. The frosh pitchers have been up and down, but that is to be expected. They are getting better and more confident every week. I am enjoying their successes and their failures. They are not boring. The coaches are to be commended for the job they are doing at bringing these kids along.
bigdogbarking

Postby dialing8 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Ruckus wrote: If I want to read that crap, I'll just follow USC or Clemson.
It is what it is: we are a young team with young arms with a young coach with precious few schollies at a school that has put baseball far down the list of athletic priority. Get over it and move on.

Well if we just want stats and articles we can read the website. i think it is entertaining to read some of this stuff. A meaasge board is for "cussing and discussing" the team as long as players are not thrown under the bus.

As for you last paragraph, you are dead on it!!
dialing8

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:08 am

I'd like to think that we Terrier fans are a bit more evolved when it comes to expressing our differences of opinion. Disagreements are fine; personal insults/attacks are not.
Plus, I often wonder if those who choose to do that would have the cahones to do the same thing to the person's face or if the computer serves as a welcome shield of anonymity.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:13 am

One thing that seemingly hasn't changed over the last 7+ seasons is the pitching, or lack thereof. Below is the ERA of the staff

2002: 6.23
2003: 8.85
2004: 6.25
2005: 7.18
2006: 7.49
2007: 7.42
2008: 7.12
2009: 7.51

What gives anyone any hope that this team statistic will improve anytime soon? The team batting average has improved over this same time frame, yet the pitching is what is limiting the team.
wocogoose94

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:22 am

I'm no expert, but surely metal bats have something to do with, plus our current youth. Our young guys have had some good outings and appear to be getting better as the season progresses. There is great reason for optimism, it seems to me.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby fterriertags on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:24 pm

In the past Wofford beat the Citadel in the last 3 consecutive SOCON tournament games in the past two years. The excuses of young, young young and new, new coach are getting old. We are a Div 1 baseball team that conditions year round. So what is it that we aren't prepared for? Oh..to many games in a week? Give me a break!
fterriertags

Postby SC_Terrier on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:28 pm

Fterriertags,

In the last three SoCon tourney games, the team relied on upper classmen to provide those wins. It is a fact that Wofford is a young team. And as I’m sure that you know, there is a tremendous learning curve between pitching in high school versus pitching in the SoCon…huge difference. For these Freshmen it is a reality check when the conference season starts…rarely are you truly prepared. You can’t use fall ball as a seasoning tool for these Freshmen and even Sophomores. Facing Western’s lineup is a little different than facing your teammates for five weeks. Regardless if the players have “conditioned” year around, facing SoCon line-ups is a learning curve and experience is almost a necessity unless the player is exceptional.

No-one is complaining about playing too many games in a week. Most of us are just in agreement that the team and program has inexperience written all over it BUT most of us think that we are heading in the right direction. Like I wrote in a previous post, in year’s past, Wofford rarely won Sunday games in April against a quality team like the Citadel as they did this year. USUALLY, those were weekends that we left 0-3.
SC_Terrier

Next

Return to Baseball