New Associate Head Coach

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

New Associate Head Coach

Postby Rowdy on Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:31 pm

Looks like Matt Allen has moved to Lehigh with Michael Boynton, Jr. replacing him as Associate Head Basketball Coach. Boynton was most recently at Coastal Carolina as Assistant Coach and played his college ball at South carolina.

Anyone have any inside knowledge on the moves?
Rowdy

Postby MarshHall on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:56 pm

yeah I think Allen got tired of having the TerrierFans bash the basketball coaching staff.
MarshHall

Postby Rowdy on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:41 pm

Perhaps so. However, I don't think coaches and administrators should ever go to their "fan" site. You get a view that is slanted and not necessarily what the majority of fans believe.
Rowdy

Postby GoldandBlack on Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:25 am

MarshHall wrote:yeah I think Allen got tired of having the TerrierFans bash the basketball coaching staff.

In all honesty, if that was his reason (and I seriously doubt that it was), he's in the wrong profession. I can't think of any teams offhand where fan sites are not critical of coaching staffs when performance does not meet expectations.

I'm not a basketball basher myself, but having a thin skin is not a sterling quality for a coach, assistant or otherwise.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:08 am

Not to mention being very inaccurate. The majority of posters on this board, while being displeased with our record and performance, support Coach Young and his staff and give him the benefit of the doubt. And I dare say there aren't too many D1 programs or their supporters who would be willing to stand by their coaching staffs with the records we have had the last few years.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:54 am

Well, to get this back to something factual.....my understanding is that Matt Allen took a job at Lehigh, substantial financial raise, etc.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:47 am

Congrats to Matt Allen for moving another step up the coaching ladder.

Matt graduated a year ahead of me and was a great player and coach for Wofford. I still remember an amazing fade away three he hit as time expired to win a game at Elon in 1994. By the time the ball got to the rim, he'd practically fallen into the Wofford bench.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:54 am

As for the support of the coaching staff, I am loyal to the College and it's programs. Both in terms of attending games when I can, giving money, talking up Wofford to whoever will listen, etc. I knew both Coach Johnson and Coach Young personally while I was at Wofford and think they are both stellar individuals.

While I may criticize the state of the program sometimes, I do support the men behind it as well as the players. That being said, there always comes a time when it's "put up or shut up time". That came for Coach Traylor this spring, and that time is coming for Coach Young either this winter or next at the latest. Hopefully, things will turn around this year, but if they don't, to blindly stay were were are (the bottom) just to avoid and uncomfortable transition is counter to all Wofford stands for.

While I was a student at Wofford, we made it to the NCAA D-II basketball tournament and even hosted a first round game. The year after that, 1994-95, Wofford had it's last winning season. As reasonable and patient as I can be, I have to ackowledge that I am right to ask questions about why Wofford has not had a winning season since I was a student.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Asst Head Coach

Postby FollyDog on Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Having attended most home games, I never really saw Mr Allen get involved in the coaching at the games or provide much input during timeouts. Looked to me like Mr. Young did all the coaching during the games. I'm sure Mat was a big influence in practice.
FollyDog
Terrier Pup

Return to Men's Basketball