The state of the Wofford Men's Basketball program

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:53 pm

terriers wrote:I think we have a tendency to hold all our coaches to the standards of Ayers and there just aren't that many around like him.

I think this is probably true, but better to let the strong set the pace.

I don't want to turn into Georgia Southern, but we wouldn't be happy with some of the results we are getting over on the academic side, so why would we accept them on the athletic side?

Success coexists on both sides at many other schools, why not Wofford?
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:23 pm

I like the scheduling, on the whole. The only questions I would have are:

-- Is the pacing right? Do we go from BIG school to really SMALL school and back and forth too much? And should we schedule any really big teams after we've played our first SoCon opponent? By that point, do we just need to focus on conference play? It seems like the later games we've had against big schools have not gone well (Michigan this year, Miami last year...).

-- And is it possible to schedule more games against similar opponents? I like the Jacksonville St. and JMU match-ups....Could we do a couple more like those? I don't know how the costs work on something like that -- the at-home games may work great, but is it too expensive to travel to those schools without it being a big paying game?

-- I guess one other thing: While I understand our not playing PC, what about some other D2 schools that might be solid opponents? Lenoir-Rhyne? Catawba? Would these be better games than Virginia Intermont and such? I don't know.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Upstate will be in the bottom 5 worst teams in D-I next year. There's never going to be a better time to play them. Unfortunately, they won't be playing next year at least.

As per the Herald-Journal:
http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 018/SPORTS
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby i77cat on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:34 am

We'll probably only have to endure 1 year of the horrible 20-game conference schedule. If Samford accepts the invitation to join, we'll go back to a 2-division, 16 game format.
i77cat

Postby terrierbob on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

We'll probably only have to endure 1 year of the horrible 20-game conference schedule. If Samford accepts the invitation to join, we'll go back to a 2-division, 16 game format.

BTW, I77cat, I've filled out my bracket and picked you to beat ND.
terrierbob

final 4?

Postby terrierbob on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Any picks for the final 4?
terrierbob

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:04 pm

Everyone needs to go to ESPN Tournament Challenge, chose their picks, and select the Wofford group to compete against...it's free and we can track our progress against each other-
BossTerrier

Postby i77cat on Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:51 am

I love your optimism, terrierbob. My Wildcats will have to put together an amazing run to face Notre Dame! I think that ND/Winthrop game is a toss-up. I'd never bet against my own team, but Maryland should beat Davidson today. They are so much bigger and more aggressive in the interior.
i77cat

Re: The state of the Wofford Men's Basketball program

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:04 am

Just taking a trip down memory lane on the board. My oh my have things changed. Back when I posted this I would have never dreamed that we would celebrate 3 trips to the NCAA tournament in 5 seasons. Thank goodness we stuck with Mike Young, who now has to be considered one of the premiere mid-major coaches in college basketball. And little did I know that the promising freshmen post players" that I spoke of,who were named Noah Dahlman and Tim Johnson, would basically spearhead a change of fortune and direction for the entire basketball program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball