Marshall goes down with torn ACL

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Marshall goes down with torn ACL

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:12 pm

Wofford led by as many as 18...Marshall goes down with 2:00 left in the first with a torn ACL (again, only the other knee this time) Tough loss for the team and this fine young man, who is a senior.

I am speechless, and really don't know what to say...
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:22 pm

Awful news. Great young man. Hopefully the MRI will bring better news but it sounds bad on the radio.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby terriers on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:50 pm

Job was swallowed by a whale but it couldn't be much worse than what
has happened to Mike Young -- and Eric Marshall. This is heartbreaking.
terriers

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:58 pm

It got worse-Salters nails a three with 9.0 seconds for Wof to take the lead 75-74 only to lose with less than 2 seconds by a 3 -

CofC 77
Wof 75
BossTerrier

Postby dude on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:13 pm

How many has that guy made this season? NINE (before that shot)?

Very frustrating.

Has any program in the country has worse luck with injuries?

I'm not thrilled with the loss, for sure, but the Terriers sure played tough. Junior Salters is special, I think.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby chascougs on Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Absolutely incredible game tonight. Your guys just wouldn't quit (great job by Mike Young). After seeing their senior leading scorer go down, after giving up an18 point lead and finding themselves trailing by 5 on one of the toughest courts to play on anywhere, Wofford comes back, takes the lead and makes one fatal mistake of not covering Philip McCandies as time expires. I'd be willing to bet that if Marshall doesn't blow out his knee, you guys would have walked out of Kresse with a win. I would sure hate to face you guys in the tournament. See you in a couple of weeks at your place.
chascougs

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:02 am

This is unbelievable. When the karma swings our way, we will be long overdue and there will be hell to pay. I am past the point of concern or disgruntlement, just empathy for MY and the team. What can you say?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:49 am

Ditto, Ruckus. I feel like I owe the forum an apology for having any
doubts about Mike Young who I've never even met. The worm is going
to turn and our day will come. Best of luck to Eric Marshall and the
rest of the Terriers.
terriers

Postby MarshHall on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 pm

just FYI, it is NOT confirmed that Marshall tore his ACL. I heard coach Young on the radio after the game saying that the trainer said that Marshall's knee has a "stop point" which is something that doesn't exist if the ACL is torn. He is undergoing the MRI sometime this week to find out what the problem is.
MarshHall

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 pm

Thanks MarshHall, the TV announcers said they were hearing Torn ACL, and he's having an MRI today to confirm-let's hope that's not the case

As for my demand for improvement and skepticism of the program's direction-I want to back off on my position a bit as well-

MY is doing it the right way-taking longer that I would like, but he is committed to being successful at Wofford and not compromisng what makes our school special. I have met MY and know his style and what others in the profession feel about him. I do not feel like a 40% winning percentage is respectable, but I also see shining stars in the program after last night-This team will find a way to win eventually-

Richard Johnson stated that patience is key in these situations. We seem to be doing everything but winning right now-I am convinced that the tide will eventually change in our favor.
I apologize for my harshness earlier regarding the program-

Go Terriers!
BossTerrier

Postby GoldandBlack on Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:18 pm

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No running; no hiding; no quitting.

Thanks to Mike Young, Eric Marshall, and the entire Wofford team for their character and willpower in a tough season. The measure of a man lies in more than wins.

There's a wrong way, a right way, and The Wofford Way. I'm proud to be a Terrier.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:40 pm

GoldandBlack wrote:"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

No running; no hiding; no quitting.

Thanks to Mike Young, Eric Marshall, and the entire Wofford team for their character and willpower in a tough season. The measure of a man lies in more than wins.

There's a wrong way, a right way, and The Wofford Way. I'm proud to be a Terrier.

Well quoted, and well said.

Post of the year.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:38 pm

Knee injury ends Wofford star's career
TODD SHANESY, Staff Writer
Published January 24, 2007

His coach's optimism couldn't keep the tears from flowing. Wofford basketball player Eric Marshall, on crutches Monday night, leaned forward and rested his forehead on Mike Young's shoulder.

"Think positive," said Young, his arms around Marshall. "Think a week to 10 days. Hey, we're off for a week and maybe by the time we play Western Carolina, …"

Young stopped in mid-sentence. He didn't even believe what he was saying. And on Tuesday afternoon, MRI results on Marshall's left knee confirmed what they both already suspected. His career is over.

Unfortunately, it's official now- you've gotta hurt for Marshall, after coming back from the torn ACL in the other leg in last year's Clemson game. The fans owe him a huge vote of thanks for his efforts with this team.

That's four out of the last five years a leading scorer has been lost to injury. You've got to wonder if we'll ever catch a break.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball