[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
• View topic - 2019-20 Season

2019-20 Season

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2019-20 Season

Postby lawdog on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Tonight’s game vs. GW on ESPN3, 7 pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cs8oyQQc18 NC Central clip.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:59 pm

Enjoyed watching us take a 4 point win over a good GW team. We played smoothly and with synergy. Messiah had his best game, and we hit shots outside and inside when we had to. It is looking like we will be pretty good. Watch out when Hoover starts heating up.

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2019/1 ... 81-77.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:30 pm

LD, could Messiah and Cheve play together to give us more size inside?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:04 pm

Boulder, according to the above writeup Messiah has been trying to play with back spasms and has been at only about 50%. Yesterday he felt much healthier and he played like it. Chevez played well too, I thought, and Bigelow is rebounding and helping some inside in his limited minutes. So, I think we will get much much more inside synergy from those three going forward. Appelgren should come online too, and I am still hopeful that Michael Manning will help at some point, though I must say I am without any concrete information about him (other than that his HS film showed some promise).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Another nice team win last night!

**I hadn't realized that Messiah Jones was dealing with back problems. He'd played well in earlier games. But last night, he was terrific. He's a little undersized for the post, and I think he's still probably developing his offensive skill-set. But stays on the attack. And he gets off the floor QUICK. He has a chance to be a pretty special player for Wofford, I believe.

**Trevor Stumpe was extremely valuable. He made a couple huge 3-point baskets and played tough on defense. Just when I think Isaiah Bigelow should maybe get more of Stumpe's minutes, Stumpe has a big night.

**Bigelow didn't play a lot of minutes. But he'll be OK, I think. Loads of potential. He didn't score, but managed to get 4 rebounds.

**Tray Hollowell again demonstrated his scoring ability. A real key to the win. He could be on the verge of establishing himself as a very high-level scorer among SoCon guards.

**Big shots from Storm Murphy. That guy is tough. Nathan Hoover had an off night, and his 3-point shooting has been spotty this season. But I think he's going to be fine. He does a lot of good things besides just scoring.

**Chevy Goodwin didn't play a ton of minutes, and he picked up 4 fouls. But he had 8 points -- not shabby.

To respond to boulder3m's question, I'd like to see Messiah and Chevy in the game some together, too. (I'm being redundant about this....) The four-guard lineup does have some advantages, and we simply don't have much depth in the post. I saw David Appelgren riding the stationary bike for a bit in the first half and thought maybe they were warming him up to get into the game. Alas, it did not happen. But a few minutes a game from Appelgren could help round things out some. Seems to me that Chevy and Messiah would be a pretty darn good tandem in the post, really.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:56 pm

I wanted to also mention Zion Richardson. He didn't play a ton. He's not yet a real major scoring threat. But he plays with a lot of poise. He's got good strength and seems to have a nose for the ball. I'm impressed with the freshman.

One other thing: I noticed that Morgan Safford dressed out, though he didn't play. I was thinking he was likely to be redshirted this season. What's the word?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:20 pm

At home Dec. 13, 7 p.m., ESPN 3 vs. N. Greenville , then four on the road, starting with UNC and Duke.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:22 pm

Appelgren is still healing from injury earlier this year. He is working back into things, but only 60-70 percent. sounds like there some complications from healing/bigger injury than first realized. as fun as non-conference games can be, I would imagine the real focus is getting ready for conference play. we may seem him 1-2 mins mixed in at a time vs North Greenville if the scoring allows (and it should), but I would be patient there.

as a result, I would not count on seeing Jones/Goodwin on the court together much at the same time.

I thought Zion defensively is ahead of schedule for a first year guy. He gives us some size/strength compared to other guys if having to play small, and seems to make the right play (has a great sense of realizing as a freshman you see the court with defense and team basketball, not necessarily scoring).

outside of that- I am for a world where Trevor Stumpe lets it fly more. we need him shooting/scoring to space the floor, unclog lanes, force guys off Hoover/Murphy... I would also love to see Larson shoot the ball with more confidence. I think his shot is there, he just seems anxious at times to shoot.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 pm

Interesting update on David Appelgren. Thanks for that...Looks like they hope to eventually play him at least a little, which seems positive.

Any word on Safford? Again, he was in a uniform on Saturday.

Stumpe played on Saturday the way I'd been hoping since preseason -- good all-round play and hitting some outside shots. I hope he can keep it up. Of course, I also hope for Bigelow to have a chance to play a little more. I think Ryan Larson will hit some shots -- that 3-pointer the spun around the rim and then kicked out was sooooo close.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:45 am

SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18 '19
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18 '19
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I was told by a very reliable person Safford was redshirting from shoulder injury. With that being said, it did seem odd he dressed out and appeared to be out of a sling last game.

I don't know the extent of DA injury (sounds like it was more complicated than a sprain though). I think there will be minutes for him soon, just on a restriction at this point until he heals and no need to rush (I don't think we would have any different record at this point with him playing at less than full speed)

I do think we see him in small doses vs North Greenville from what it sounds like though.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:59 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:03 pm

Convincing win vs. North Greenville: 112-66; Terriers set a a record for made 3's; Isaiah was crazy from behind the arc.

Let's hope we saved some points for the next 2 games on Tobacco Road. Beat UNC & Duke!!
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:43 pm

Story and stats.https://woffordterriers.com/news/2019/1 ... ville.aspx

Several played very well, e.g., DTL 11 points on 4-4 shooting, 8 assists; Richardson leading rebounder with 7; Bigelow 28 points ... and there were others. Team, 10 steals, 59.4% from 3-point.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:24 pm

There were several outstanding performances against NGU. I know the competition level was below what we have seen, and, will see for the rest of the year, perhaps substantially. However, Isaiah B's performance was particularly noteworthy. What do you think of Isaiah's upside? Is this a precursor to what we can expect in SoCon games? Does he have the potential to be a star at the SoCon level--His 3 point shooting potential seems to be huge--Does he have the ability to create his own shot? Can he play solid defense, rebound?
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball