Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Recruiting

Postby lawdog on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Both are a great fit for how we play. VT must think the same ... time will tell.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:26 pm

Well my thinking is that if they were good enough to be great contributers at the Power 5 level, then why didn’t they go that route in the first place? And if Mike Young recruits the same type of guys toVT as he did to Wofford, he is probably not going to win a ton of ACC games. You need a higher quality athlete in that conference to compete night in and night out. Just my thoughts.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:28 pm

It remains that an inside player is our biggest need for this year.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:35 pm

lawdog wrote:It remains that an inside player is our biggest need for this year.

For the immediate future I agree with this...we need more depth among big guys. We wore teams down with big man depth last season but lost two guys from that fold. Hopefully the redshirt freshmen can help fill that void some...and maybe Trevor Stumpe some too. But you can’t have too many shooters either and it really stinks to lose great ones- I particularly was looking forward to Ervin playing here. But if we have to move on from him it is very likely we can do so- we will still be deep at the guards next season and we have time to get more good shooters to campus.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Yeah, assuming everyone is back -- including our redshirted guys -- then guards probably aren't the program's greatest need, though we'll have to replace Stumpe, Theme-Love, and Hoover after next season. So, actually, bringing in at least one perimeter player in this class might really help. The bigger question may be about losing players who, regardless of position, are special talents. These two guys seem to -- maybe -- fit that bill.

But, yeah, we got to keep moving forward. I'm sure McAuley and staff have plenty of irons in the fire, and I would guess that Wofford will be a very attractive option for some good players.

It could be interesting to see how either Ervin or Cattoor might fit in at VaTech. I suspect they're good enough to contribute, maybe play good minutes. Good grief, our guys at Wofford about beat Kentucky. We clearly had players who can compete at a very high level. So I don't doubt that these guys could be solid players in the ACC. At the same time, there's a difference between...

--being a player whose coach believes he can put on the court for major minutes and go to the Final Four with...
vs.
-- being a player whose coach believes he can contribute, maybe even on a very good team, but isn't going to be a real key to winning a championship.

In other words, does it stand to reason that Mike might be out recruiting other players at their positions concurrently or next season who he thinks are even better? And is it less likely that that would be happening at Wofford?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm

Va Tech has lost a lot of talent by graduation or transfer, and truthfully MY needs bodies. It is not surprising that the players recruited may want to go to Va Tech with three of the five Wofford folks there. Our guys need to develop an attitude and get a little chip on their shoulders about next year and move ahead. It also opens the door for some transfers that may not have othewise have thought about Wofford. The glass is half full, guys.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:14 am

Not a huge surprise. Apparently VT offered Cattoor earlier in the week. Cant blame a guy for going to listen. Mike has a certain style of PGs and hunter appears to fit it. He likely wouldnt play early at VT but to be honest courr time at wofford will be tough too next year. Giltner worked with most guards. Goes there and redshirts and he could be a good one. Hes already athletic it seems from highlights. Could likely get stronger as most freshman
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 am

So long Hunter. Had heard great things about him as scorer and gray court vision creating. Now hopefully perhaps we get Zac back
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:46 pm

I kind of don't think the whole thing is all that cool. But it does sound like Mike really needs players. And he thinks this player can help him. And Cattoor has signed on to play for Mike, so I can understand his wanting to follow him -- especially to the ACC.

Fans like to think in terms of sentimental stuff -- it's the nature of being a fan, I think. But it's an extremely competitive business, and coaches are going to do whatever they think they can in order to win. Mike evidently didn't hesitate to take a recruit from Wofford (might take Ervin, too, I guess), though since Cattoor had decommitted, then I suppose he wasn't exactly "our" recruit any longer. Meanwhile, there was talk of Mike bringing former Wofford players like Shane Nichols or Tim Johnson onto his staff. He hired neither; instead went with guys who are apparently more established names, more experienced with recruiting, whatever.

I figure Mike realistically has 3-4 years to get things on track at VT. I don't mean that he has that long to reach the Sweet 16 or else he gets fired. I think they'll have more patience than that. But if a program, especially at a school that doesn't have a ton of tradition, doesn't show some real giddy-up by year 3 or 4, then I think it likely just gets tougher to turn the corner. So Mike doesn't have time to worry much about hurting Wofford folks's feelings.

By the same token, Jay McAuley didn't hire a former Wofford player for his staff.....and didn't apparently have a problem with possibly upsetting old Furman friends by bringing one of their guys over as an assistant coach. It's a business, and coaches are trying to get any edge they think they can get.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:54 pm

Anyway.....Terrierfan06:

You seem to be somewhat plugged in about things these days. Any information at all about other guys who McAuley and his staff may be after?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Personally I am glad this happened in a year when our cupboard was pretty full. Had it happened in a year in which we were bringing in 5-6 players we would be in big trouble. However, a lot of the recruiting for next year is already underway. Our coaches are going to be out there looking for those recruits, as we lose several after the next season whom we will have to replace. Turnover in athletics is a major interruption, and most fans don't realize how far in advance coaches are working filling needs. MY needs bodies at the moment-kind of like we used to. It will be some time before he can be picking and choosing. We can look at our roster and have a reasonable idea of where we will be for another two years; and then fill and recruit accordingly. We are losing one recruiting season and potentially a portion of the next. MY has a very depleted roster, and they will be out trolling for any disgruntled transfers they can find. As "dude" says, the powers at Va Tech will be willing to give a year or two grace, but after that the hatchets will come out. When the hatchets come out the Hokies had better be wary.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:46 pm

There was a decent chance we lost hunter either way. All Mike did was offer but my guess is they always thought they could get him to sign. Florida had him as a top 15 guy in FL and article earlier this year had hunter listed as one of the top mid major signings to watch.

We are still in on Ervin. Hes a great shooter and has size but on recruiting forums seems to be a high mid major prospect. Cattoor was just a notch above b in between tht and p5 school.
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:49 pm

Mike needs to be competitive this year and then expectations will jump. Surprised hes been in on as many transfer guys this year as they have. Id be shocked if they offer Ervin. From what I gather we have a great shot at keeping him. His recent offers are App and Elon type places. We can beat those offers just cant match the chance to play in acc. But we've got storm, ryan, dtl, Hoover and tray next year at guards so we will be fine

I wouldnt be shocked if we made an offer on a post guy soon to add depth
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:54 pm

On the coaching side, thats pretty common. New head coaches want their guys with them early on especially. We dont appear to have a head asst coach. But bringing in tim or shane (if they even would agree) could cause confusion as to whos in charge early or leave your replacement in line should things get tough early

Mike I think needed to keep a VT guy. Someone who knows area coaches, and helps to retain players and keep committs. The KSU guy was rumored the whole time as well as a strong recruiter. Only slight shock is the one from cincy but not sure shane was that close to being on staff

Kevin appears to be in an asst spot, somewhat of asst to head coach
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:01 pm

Looks like we have our newest Terrier. Appears to be someone that Furman was interested in previously. Still hoping for good news on Zac soon

Also David land replacement to likely be named soon
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball