Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Recruiting

Postby WoCo65 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:37 pm

#-o Damn, hate to see this but kinda expected it. I hope we can get him back.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:41 pm

I have to think that we have to be very near a selection, but it is likely coming down to terms and conditions, maybe contract amount.

There are a couple of interesting developments and I admit no inside knowledge but obviously the internal candidates are clear at this point: McAuley, Johnson, and Nichols.

I believe Mike Young's assistants at Va. Tech hang on the decision above. It is interesting NOT hearing Nichols as one of his assistants, yet which to me indicates he is a viable if not the top candidate for our vacancy. It seems as if Giltner may be lining up to move to Va. Tech -at least that is what I am seeing on message boards and connecting the dots it seems to make sense to me.

Any of the three mentioned above will do great instantly and should help calm our commits.
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:49 pm

I'll support whomever we hire, but it won't feel 100% right with me if it's not McAuley or Johnson. Johnson is a favorite among alumni players and I think it's safe to say McAuley is a favorite among current players. I'm not saying Nichols would be a bad hire, but for me it would wreak of trying to be too creative.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm

One name who would keep us on track for five years or so: Danny Morrison. Good to have so many talented folks around our program.

I would edit this remark; we have a number of good coaching prospects and this would not appear to be a feasible alternative, although we all have tons of respect for Danny and all he has accomplished.
Last edited by lawdog on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Danny Morrison as Coach????
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:40 pm

You know, hoping for a thorough enough process to hire the right coach -- of course. But you got two recruits who sound like outstanding players who are now up in the air. You've got spring recruiting going strong with no one from Wofford out there working....

We need to get this thing figured out. Soon.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Someone on Twitter is claiming Hunter Cattoor has sought and been given his release as well. If true, this has been a disaster. It’s looking like RJ is exactly as incompetent as many of us feared and has bungled this hiring process and endangered all the positive momentum we had coming from this season
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

A couple thoughts:

1. This shouldn't be totally unexpected. A major coaching staff change is bound to bring uncertainty, and you can't blame guys for looking around. Ervin is from western Virginia, and he might be asking Mike Young to give him a chance up that way. Who knows.

2. The new coach might be able to bring these guys back aboard. Hopefully, they like the current players, the campus, other staff they've met, etc. Wofford should have as good a chance as any other school (at least among those not coached by Mike Young). Assuming these are really good prospects -- and I think they are -- the new coach should be in their living rooms within 24 hours of taking the job.

However....

3. Every hour that goes by is to Wofford's disadvantage. Coaches are probably calling these guys like crazy. They are probably wondering whether the new Wofford coach, depending on who it is, will want to go a different direction. Meanwhile, spring recruiting is in full swing, so that maybe puts pressure on these kids to figure things out. It also means we aren't out there talking anyone else. So, yeah, there's definitely potential for disaster. But it doesn't have to turn into that.

4. Makes me wonder if folks are getting the word that McAuley is not likely to get the job. I figure that it seemed like all but a formality, then A) hopefully, the recruits would feel good about that and B) maybe he would have been in touch with them all week, letting them know that things are cool. No way to know, really, but just one more angle to consider.

So, yeah, this thing could work out OK. Even keeping one of the two recruits could be a decent outcome, given everything that's going on. But losing both would be really bad -- and seems more likely the longer this coaching search takes.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Just saw a tweet from Zac Ervin. He has been granted his release from Wofford. RJ is a complete ?@#$5
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:36 pm

I'll be honest, I'm going to be very disappointed if our next coach isn't Tim Johnson or Jay McAuley. I will support the program and give respect and the benefit of the doubt to the next coach, no matter who it, but I have an increasing feeling that we're dropping the ball on this hire and going to hire someone with minimal connections to the program.

With each day we don't have a name, it's increasingly likely that it's not McAuley, and that sucks.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

youngterrier:

First of all, I share your thoughts about JM. If he's the guy, then what's the hold-up? I don't know whether he is the best candidate, but I do think the potential for him to help make a smooth transition, to keep current players from leaving and recruits from bailing is something worthy of consideration. But, yeah, seems like it could've happened by now.

I don't know if he's a leading candidate. And I don't whether he'd be a good choice for the job. But Shane Nichols has VERY strong connections to Wofford:

Former player at Wofford.
Former asst. coach at Wofford.

Also, he's been coaching at Murray State, where he was apparently closely involved with the development of ultra-talented star player Ja Morant. Nichols is, by all means, a Wofford guy and an intriguing candidate.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:21 pm

I wouldn't object to Nichols. It wouldn't be a bad hire. In fact, I would probably have minimal problem with it. But from a continuity perspective and who the players like, I think he's no better than the third best choice.

Having said that, I've heard some names thrown around that have no connection to the program and I do not approve.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:54 pm

To be quite honest, if I were a recruit committed to a team with no coach, I would decommit also.

Hopefully, both will be happy with the new coach and recommit. But they need to keep their options open in case they don't like the new coach.

RJ said he had a short list in case MY left, but it doesn't seem like that is what is happening now.

It wouldn't surprise me if Samhat was the issue. He is a divisive figure who seems quite determined to change Wofford into something it is not. May daughter interviewed during her college search, and despite being a potential 4th generation Terrier was not particularly well-treated. I have heard similar reports from other Alumni.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:47 pm

I don’t think I personally would decommit. It is simply hard for me to wrap my head around going anywhere else but Wofford. It was my only real college choice coming out of high school. I really didn’t consider or have any desire to consider anywhere else. Of course I was not an athlete either so it is very likely that I just don’t “get it”...
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:09 pm

"It wouldn't surprise me if Samhat was the issue. He is a divisive figure who seems quite determined to change Wofford into something it is not. May daughter interviewed during her college search, and despite being a potential 4th generation Terrier was not particularly well-treated. I have heard similar reports from other Alumni."

Walliver,
I'm very disappointed to hear about your daughter's treatment with the recruitment process. Same for any other alumni with similar experience(s!) at our alma mater. As a member of the Alumni Association BOD, i'm willing to share your situation(s) with the appropriate contact so they can help address this matter. Feel free to send me a PM.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball