Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Recruiting

Postby youngterrier on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:18 am

He ain't Benedict Arnold, just hush.

Also, we have another Big Swede, it would appear
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:00 am

I will never like the way the whole Keve Aluma situation went down, but yes, I will “hush” because it’s a done deall now that can’t be reversed and there’s no use dwelling on it. Anyway, so there are two big Swedes coming aboard?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:53 pm

YT may have been referring to Anton Wahrby, who was a pretty fine, and big, All-American OT and student for us from Sweden.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Warhby's nickname was big Swede, and our new signee is from Stockholm.

At Wofford, "Big Swede" is a thing, as is the Minnesota Mafia
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:15 pm

OK, so we lost Cattoor, Ervin, and Aluma due to a coaching change. Guess what - we did not miss a beat: Richardson, Safford, and Appelgren show as much promise as those we lost. Safford and Richardson may be more versatile and have more defensive skill than the other two guards, and Appelgren’s tape shows he is more versatile than Aluma was as a freshman, and is more comfortable making an offensive move, not to mention being four inches taller. Plus it appears that Appelgren got some excellent coaching in junior college and improved dramatically during his year there. All three recruits certainly must show up ready to learn and work, but the situation is promising. Beware the short haired Dog!

https://www.prephoops.com/2017/11/__trashed-11/ Eighteen months ago.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:45 pm

Not exactly disagreeing with you, lawdog, as we don't know yet. But I'm not sure we've upgraded or held even in each of these slots. I think Cattoor is likely very, very good. Highlights of him that I've seen are quite impressive. I think there is a reason Mike wanted him at VT. And Aluma appeared on the verge of becoming a pretty dominant post player in the SoCon. Here again, Mike thought he could help him in the ACC.

I doubt that Appelgren is -- at this point -- as strong and rangy as Aluma. He might not ever be as explosive athletically. I'm not sure how Richardson and Safford really compare to Cattoor and Ervin. Again, I'm thinking Cattoor might be just a bit ahead of all three.

Having said all that....I think Jay McAuley and staff have done what appears to be an impressive job. To go out and sign three players at this point in the recruiting cycle -- all of whom appear to be solid prospects, good students, nice kids -- that's good work, seems to me. And they very well might end up being as good -- or close to it -- as the guys we lost.

Appelgren is, to state the obvious, really tall. On highlight videos, he looks to be able to move pretty well and handle the ball OK -- good hands can make such a difference for a big man. His offensive touch may, indeed, be ahead of where Aluma's was as a freshman. There must be some reason that larger schools didn't recruit him, but who knows....perhaps he was somehow a bit under the radar, or maybe has come a long way just recently. Someone who goes by JUCOadvocate on Twitter and appears to follow that scene pretty closely says Appelgrem's "upside is ridiculous."

Meanwhile, Safford only recently turned 17, from what I've read. That puts him a full year behind others in his class. Perhaps he's still maturing physically -- might even grow a little more. He and Richardson both seem reasonably athletic -- maybe not Cochran level, but solid -- and fairly versatile. If they put in the work and continue to develop, they may end up being really good.

And we also have Messiah Jones and Isaiah Bigelow coming on to the roster next season. So I'd say we've got some interesting young talent.

And, again, I think McAuley and his staff deserves some credit for putting together this spring class.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Good points, dude.

I would not be surprised to see Safford, and maybe even Richardson, redshirt, to give them a full chance to develop their games and bodies against tough practice conditions and since we are experienced and deep at guard. (I think Ervin would have redshirted too.) Of these two, it appears Richardson is ahead offensively and defensively; Richardson has a chance to be a really special player --- mentally and physically tough ... wants the ball and to guard the other team's best player. I agree that Cattoor may prove to be really good, especially on offense, at VT.

Appelgren was garnering a good bit of interest; it appears he was offered by Washington State and perhaps a few mid majors but hard to be sure from the quick checking I did. He wanted to be back on the East coast, for home visit purposes. In my view he is more of an asset than Aluma was after his freshman year, but Aluma really came on his soph year and should finish his career strong. Similarly I expect Appelgren to give us substantial help as a soph; he is a worker, thinker, and winner. He also has fine timing and touch for a big guy. Appears to be willing and to know how to set a pick too, which is indispensable in our offense. His presence will free up Goodwin and Jones, and perhaps Stumpe, to go 100% all the time, knowing they will get a rest when needed.

I too am very excited to see how Jones will do; he could be a huge factor for us. The same for Bigelow ... interested to see how his outside and inside games mesh and how he and Jones blend. Both have good HS competition and a great year of college practice to draw upon.

Indeed McAuley and staff deserve major kudos for how they have handled this situation.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm happy with the staff's ability to salvage three quality guys to replace those we lost. I'm not sure that Appelgren will be another Aluma, but I at least see him as a capable fit and then some for the role Pegram filled and that is a big plus for Wofford. Time will tell how we fare on the recruiting front next year as we are behind the other programs there as well, but Wofford has recent results, great facilities and a quality core to sell so I think there will be plenty of guys interested in considering the Terriers. It may take another class or two to get things where Coach McAuley wants them, but I don't see us falling off too much unless we get hit with injuries or more defections.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:42 pm

Some interesting comments from Appelgren's coach at LCCC.

At about the 30-min. mark: https://twitter.com/NickWyoSports/statu ... 9012785153

Pretty much says that David will need to get stronger, more explosive, more athletic moving laterally to block shots. But also said he's still developing and will get a good deal better. Not exactly a glowing assessment, but perhaps this coach a tough/realist type.

My understanding is that David is already on campus. If our new S&C coach is really good, perhaps he can make some substantial progress during the summer. Five full months before the season starts, so there's some time to get stronger, quicker.

I wonder how Wofford connected with Appelgren. I believe I read that he did a prep year in Orlando. It has been said to me that Fletcher Magee's parents really liked Wofford quite a lot -- believers in the program. Maybe they put in a word somehow that got everyone linked up.

Anyway, he might not be a great player yet this next season. But sounds very much like a very good prospect. Glad he's in Spartanburg!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrierfan06 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Take it for what its worth- but I've heard from a number of places we may have dodged one with ervin long term. Our guards and wings seem to get bigger as years go by as well.

I doubt DA will replace what keve would have brought this year but perhaps hes ahead on year 1 of where keve was. Aluma was significantly better when he left than when he arrived at wofford. His offer list coming in wasnt near VT level
Terrierfan06
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:22 pm

The Appelgren discussion is from the 21:00 to 26:00 mark. The takeaway, according to LCCC Coach Ficca, who has had a lot of experience and seems to be analytical and to know what he is about, is that he believes Appelgren will help us immediately and will continue to get better, as he works on his strength, jumping (explosiveness), and technique. Ficca said Appelgren was about to give up looking at D1 possibilities and come back to JuCo, and that Appelgren said we were his last visit, but that when he checked us out he really liked our school, program and facilities and decided pretty quickly to come here. I look forward to seeing him do his thing; in my view we are going to be pleased that he chose to become a Terrier.

I think the fact that our football team went out there last fall and (out)played Wyoming toe to toe gave us a lot of cred and likely improved our chances with DA.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:10 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Jay seems almost defensive about Keve-and why not. He probably was as shocked as anyone when he said he was leaving. However, I felt as he progressed this past season that he was capable of becoming the best two way big man we have ever seen. Most big guys come from AAU programs that never teach any defense. Keve was the opposite. He was defense first and then was learning offense. IMO he will be a beast down the line. As for David, his story is interesting but not unusual. Lots of the seven footers are projects that never pay off. If he gets lots of coaching from those who know how to handle big men he has a chance to become a force. We needed someone like him and he will certainly get a chance. I think we came out of the transition as well as possible.
Mike Ayers left us with a cupboard full and so did Mike Young. In both sports we make have to make a stutter step, but not slide backward. Time to move forward and not look back.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:19 pm

boulder3m -- I kind of agree. It does sound as though Jay is a little defensive where the Keve situation is concerned. Maybe he is concerned about any perception that he'd be "blamed" for what happened. Or -- and this, perhaps, isn't pleasant to consider -- maybe he's pretty chafed about how things happened and wants to send a bit of message to that effect. Or it could be that Todd asked questions in such a way that he put Jay back on his heels a little and he thought he had to clear some things up.

Todd does GREAT work for the Herald-Journal, and Wofford and Wofford fans are huge beneficiaries. But I sort of feel in this case that it's almost like he was trying to suggest a narrative about the Keve situation without coming right out and putting Jay totally on the spot ("Hey, are you ticked off at Mike?" "Was there something uncool that happened?"....). And maybe that -- not completely pinning everything down -- is for the best. Seems like Jay handled it pretty well and is onboard with the "time to move on....we're all still friends" kind of approach.

I agree with you that Keve seemed to be rapidly developing into a major talent for Wofford (he was already a force on defense, for certain, this past season). It's a big loss, no doubt. It's be interesting to see how things shake out for him in the ACC. I think he has the physical tools to compete and probably be better-than-decent defensively. Whether or not he can really develop his offensive skills may be the difference between his not being very effective overall or his developing into a full-blown ACC-level talent in the post.

As for David Appelgren, being redundant -- but I think he is truly and exciting prospect. I think it's important to not overhype the guy or expect too much right away. But I do think he may end up being quite an important recruit. Or maybe not. But I'm optimistic.
Last edited by dude on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:27 pm

The sign of a good program, and coaching, is that players improve year to year. In recent years ours have done that; it is reasonable to expect that will continue to be true. It will be fun to see.

We should expect to be in the hunt again. Although Jackson and Magee were perhaps our best ever at what they did and will be hard to replace, we will have a wealth of talent and experience and should be able to compete with anyone we play, certainly in the SoCon. No time for further conjecture about Keve, although we wish him well.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball