At Furman 2/23 ESPN3

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: At Furman 2/23 ESPN3

Postby dude on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:20 pm

I am getting nervous about the game tomorrow. Maybe I should say excited. Anyway, what a huge game -- one of the biggest for Wofford in the D1 era. At least in terms of regular season games -- obviously conference tournament championship games were a big deal.

I don't know what to expect. I feel that if Wofford can play its best ball, then we could win handily. A performance similar to what Wofford did in the second half of the UNC-G game last Saturday would be nice to see -- the team firing on all cylinders. Of course, I haven't watched Furman all that much, and I'm sure their fans believe they'll be tough to beat if playing up to their potential.

The first game between the two teams was a weird one. Such a low-scoring event. Rafferty had a very good game for Furman. And Magee had a good scoring night for Wofford. Otherwise, it was skinny. Cam Jackson had only 7 points. Hoover was quiet -- only 1 of 6 from behind the 3-point line. For Furman, Lyons had an off night. Overall, both teams were well below their scoring average. So I don't know what to go on. A few possible keys, seems to me....

**We have come to expect Magee to score a lot. Since the earlier game against Furman, I think he has been averaging about 24 points a game. That's strong. Can he keep it up against Furman? Does he go berserk and score 30 or more?

**Can Wofford contain Rafferty? He is extremely good. He's a guy who's probably going to get a solid number of points and rebounds -- but can Wofford hold him to something below his averages? Can Aluma use his length and athleticism to really challenge him? Or will Jackson guard him and be able to use his strength to give Rafferty trouble?

**Can Jackson have a better game than the first match-up? He had 4 fouls and only played 22 minutes. Didn't score a lot (though 7 points in 22 minutes is respectable). Seemed like Rafferty gave him some trouble at times -- stole the ball, knocked it away, kept him from getting into the flow.

**Who else for both teams steps up? Hoover didn't shoot well against Furman first go-round. A big game from Hoover could make a real difference. Furman, of course, also had players who were quiet and might be expected to shoot better.

**Does the crowd and the hype affect either team much? Obviously, Furman could feel some advantage playing at home. But does their crowd really give Wofford problems, or can our guys stay focused and aggressive? A big Furman crowd, of course, but I assume there will be a nice Wofford contingent....hopefully....to provide some support.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:31 pm

I figure it's going to be a close game. Not to jinx us, but I would be very surprised if they blew us out, but not as much if we blew them out. They are tough to play at home and they blew us out last year as well ETSU the other week as well.

But my thinking is simply this: what makes a really good basketball team is offense (top 15 by most rankings). What makes us, dare I say, a great basketball team is an above-average defense (top 100 by most rankings).

For Furman, they have have a very good defense and an above average offense. Their defense, at least statistically, isn't as great as our offense, but that's a macrotrend that could give way in the individual game.

I think it's more likely that we extend a big league because of these dynamics than vice versa. Having said that, Furman has the best defense in the socon and they kept us to a season low last game. The optimistic way of looking at that is that we had a bad game. The conservative way of looking at it is that they will force that kind of game with their stellar defense.

So, it's going to be a tough game. I think in the best case scenario we control the game, pushing a lead to 10-15, but the worst case scenario is obviously a loss. I could obviously be wrong, but I would only be surprised if they blew us out.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm

I am delighted by Furman's success this year. Beating the 2018 National Champion on their home court put the SoCon in the national spotlight early on, then getting ranked added more credibility. Our success at winning 15 consecutive conference games is remarkable, combined with two big wins over UNCG and ETSU, home and away, and it put the spotlight on us. The fact that our only losses were to nationally ranked teams added to the SoCon prestige. Winning by 20 at South Carolina, UNCG taking LSU to the wire, ETSU having good wins all bring the spotlight to the SoCon. Our success was heightened by Furman's early wins at Loyola and Villanova. Our game Saturday, has turned into a national story. Some are now saying that the SoCon may be a multi-bid conference now. This is great for the SoCon. So to the SoCon teams thanks --

If both teams bring their A game then I believe we have the edge. We have turned into an outstanding rebounding team , we don't turn the ball over, and our defense has been really, really tough. The inside moves that Jackson has displayed, coupled with his passing, and ball handling skills has put him on the NBA radar. Good shooting from behind the arc from Magee, Hoover, and Murphy has been outstanding over the past 5 games.

This game is hugely important to us and Furman--Cannot wait!!!!
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:29 pm

Yeah, I would like to think that if we are playing our best ball, our team has the advantage over anyone in the league. But I've watched Wofford play a lot more than anyone else, so I can't really say.

Generally, I'm not terribly cocky about things. While undefeated is impressive no matter how you look at it, the reality is that we've won a few really close games -- including round-one against Furman. A few plays go differently, and Wofford could have 2-3 losses. Of course, another way of looking at that is that really outstanding teams make clutch plays, figure out how to win.

One thing that makes me a bit hopeful is that I think Cam Jackson can have a much better game than the first meeting between FU and WC. He had four fouls, only played 22 minutes, and finished with 7 points. Aluma scored only 5. Pegram chipped in a solid 6 off the bench. But, overall, our inside scoring wasn't great. I do think Furman had something to do with that -- but I think Jackson can play better. If gets on track early, that could be a huge factor.

Could Stumpe be a wildcard?
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:06 am

Furman is favored by 1 point.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby jorober18 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 am

Agreed on the offensive and defensive efficiency arguments.

One other point is foul trouble. If we stay out of trouble with Jackson and Aluma then I believe we win, if not it will be a uphill climb.
jorober18
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:03 pm

Chevez’s game and confidence have improved significantly since the last contest with Furman, which could be a factor.

If our guys are active down low, we may have an advantage there. Cam has had some good games vs. them.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:56 pm

The smallest dogs with the biggest hearts finish off the Paladins on the road. Great performance by the team, definitely had a tournament type feel to the game. Snack time!
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Yes!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoffordGradandDad on Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Anybody know the section # behind the Wofford bench for the Chattanooga game? 114? Planning to drive down from Knoxville. Thanks.
WoffordGradandDad
Terrier Pup

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:15 pm

Give a shout to the UTC ticket office and they should be able to help you out with the specifics
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:48 pm

Many classy posts on the Furman board. Many great Furman fans. But this dude DungeonRealm is not one of them. He’s a trouble starter and a sore loser all rolled into one! He was the one that started all that Flopper Magee crap on there before the game. Then after the game he said the refs controlled the game for Wofford from start to finish, they Furman was still better than Wofford and would win in Asheville with better refs. I bet he wouldn’t be willing to put a little wager on that! Anyway, Furman is definitely still a very good team, good enough to beat us, but it won’t be at all due to who the officials are. Hey I would love to meet this dude at a downtown Greenville bar, buy him a few beers, and talk about the WC-FU rivalry and see where it takes us!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:40 pm

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2019/2 ... urman.aspx Interesting. Both teams shot the same % from the field but we had eight more shots. 3 point % very close too, but we shot more. This was a very close game ... a bucket here, a bucket there. Each team had only 8 turnovers. Great effort both ways.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:42 pm

Wofford can probably play better, I think -- Magee missed a couple that could have gone in, Hoover was a little quiet. But an impressive performance, overall. A few thoughts:

**OK, so Magee did miss a few. Had one was real close to going in. But, man, what a great player. His ability to make clutch shots is such a weapon.

**I think the big story was the play of Jackson and Aluma. In the first match-up, they combined for only 12 points. They combined for 29 yesterday. They showed up to play. Both were terrific.

**A key stretch was when Coach Young took made the wholesale substitution when Furman cut the lead to 3 in the second half. I believe he subbed out all 5 players and went with Jackson, the lone starter, out there with Larson, Hollowell, Theme-Love, and Goodwin. They better than held their own for about 2-3 minutes (is that right?). When they went out, I think Wofford had a 5-point lead. So they stopped Furman's momentum, gave 4/5 starters a nice rest to come back in and get back in gear. Wofford's depth is truly a key factor this year, I think.

**I have been impressed with Theme-Love's play. He's gotten more minutes recently, if I'm not mistaken, and he's been solid. Made a nice 3-pointer in the first half.

**Aluma might not ever be as fluid offensively as Jackson. But I think he's just scratching the surface as a player. If he can improve some as a scorer, he's got the potential to be a major, major stud in the SoCon, as I see it.

**Stumpe did not play, if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if he's still not totally in the flow, or it was a matter of the match-ups. I'd still like to see him be able to contribute this year. I'm a Stumpe fan.

**I think Wofford's gym is a much better venue than Timmons Arena. But it irks me that Timmons is potentially a louder and more intimidating joint because of where student seating is located. Wofford kept enough of control of the game to keep the student section fairly quiet, but I imagine that their crowd could be a factor -- especially in the second half of games, when Furman's opponent is playing offense on the end of the court where the students are. At our place, the students are all the way at the other end, behind the basket, from where opponents are trying to score in the second half.

Oh well.

Anyway, great game -- contributions from lots of guys. On to Chatt!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:43 pm

Good observations Dude.

At 5-13, Fletch’s 3-point shooting percentage was nothing special for him, but several of them really were daggers and killed their momentum. It is a bit unnerving to another team how fearless he is in taking the 3 pointer. His D and floor game were particularly good this game.

It has been fun to see this team, and players, improve and become more multi dimensional.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball