Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: On the Road Again

Postby Hobo on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:29 pm

Hoover on fire
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:52 pm

We're in trouble. Frittered away a 15 point lead and go into the half with only a 3 point lead and all of our bigs in foul trouble. Fletcher closes out the half with an airball and Mercer has decided to guard the perimeter. We are going to have to dig deep.
Our bigs, in addition to picking up fouls have had plenty of chances to shoot free throws. However, they are only 6-13 at the line. That is something that really needs to change. They are doing a great job of rebounding and getting to the basket, but we can't allow other teams to foul our big men without consequence. That is a bad formula.
By the way, is anyone else trying to listen to Jim and Thom while watching? The radio broadcast recycles backward and it is totally frustrating. It has been bad all season, and had to figure why it is not getting fixed.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm

Mercer played hard. Questionable refs. Terriers take care of business on the road. Snack time!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:10 pm

Snack time ! Solid road win. Hope Pegram isn’t out for too long. Why is the Mercer coach always so angry? Their home crowd was pretty sparse.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:22 pm

There's an article on 538.com about how yelling at the refs works. That's why Bob does it.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 pm

We went from referees who pretty much let the players play in the past three games to referees who called every ticky tack foul by the big men. For most of the game Mercer had 6-8 fewer fouls. It only evened out near the end when they had to foul us. Very weird, and especially unfortunate since we were down a big man. It was very interesting, however, to see our upperclassmen leadership take over and calm everyone down and get them to focus. That is all part of becoming a team that can weather the storms that every season and most games present. It was a frustrating game that had me screaming at their players, our players and the referees! In the end it was another road win. That's four road games down and five to go.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:47 pm

OBSERVATIONS FROM MACON
1) Bob Hoffman is still a little whiney punk
2) Refs seemed to be on a power trip with those stupid needless techs on Cam and MY
3) Welcome back Trevor Stumpe! He was rusty but still did some things to help us win.
4) Get well soon Matt Pegram- your absence was very noticeable- we could have used another big body!
5) We once again won when we didn’t play our best, which is what good teams do
6) Teams will likely start fouling our big guys more amd more and make them make free throws
7) Nathan Hoover got us out of the gate quickly and Fletcher Magee was clutch once again
8) Our rebounding, particularly from Aluma and Goodwin, made a huge difference once again

Time for The Citadel and their frantic pace! The Citadel has struggled a good bit lately but we have struggled in Charleston in the past so I know we’ll be ready to play and will not take anything for granted!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:26 pm

It was a great effort by the -dogs last night. Kinda let the first half lead get away but this was directly related to foul trouble on Keve and Cam. Refs were pretty bad but MY always works them like they are long lost buddies. the Technical on Cam and subsequently MY was a joke. We sat right behind the bench and was really cool to listen to the inner machinations of our coaching staff during the game. I think MY gets his due credit but our assistants were lights out in terms of game prep for Mercer last night. They were identifying their offensive sets before they got the ball up court and calling out their plays ahead of time. Giltner in particular was heavily involved in that. This allowed Fletch and others to really hound Cummings and held him to a poor shooting night (3-10).
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:24 pm

Our defense on the perimeter this game improved.

Having said that, we aren't playing the best ball in the socon right now. We missed Pegram. All of our bigs play aggressively (which is good) and having that extra body helps manage the game in terms of fouls. I don't think officiating will be that ticky tacky down the stretch (or at least we won't accumulate fouls at as fast a rate). I know Stump isn't where he wants to be, but he'll get there.

As for the foul on Jackson, it was legit. He smacked the backboard after he dunked it, which is a foul apparently.

And me and my dad once sat behind the bench at the JRIS (against CMU in the CIT or CBI whichever we played). It had the intensity of an in-battle war plan.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Good insight, Altdog. The camera showed our assistants a lot during the game and they were really into it.
In at least one camera shot we saw some Terrier fans down in Macon. Will be looking for more tomorrow in Charleston.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:05 pm

It's game time! And Yannity needs to turn his mic up
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:14 pm

1) Announcers talk like Pegram might be gone an extended period of time. Very unfortunate if that’s the case.
2)\Announcer also keep talking about how “frustrated” Duggar Balcolm and The Citadel are how we should feel bad for them- get that crap out of here. Feel sorry for The Citadel? Ha, never!
3) If Lew Stallworth was not with The Citadel, they’d be USC Upstate bad.
4) Trevor Stumpe looks better today...good sign there.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Ha! Goodbye, Duggar!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:56 pm

99-61 final. Great win...we took care of business against a weaker team and earned snack time! On to Thursday at ETSU, which will likely be much tougher! I’m glad we didn’t have to tire ourselves out to win today- our guys should be fresh and ready in Johnson City.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Good to see Stumpe back and playing some quality minutes
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball