[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
• View topic - On the Road Again

On the Road Again

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

On the Road Again

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:17 pm

An amazing undefeated first half of the conference season, and now off on a three game road trip to some pretty hostile places. Mercer is just plain tough, with a coach that won't let his team quit. They always get up for Wofford, and this year it will be doubly that way with our record. Gotta earn SNACK TIME!!!!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Re: On the Road Again

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:27 pm

We are in great shape. We did as good as we could possibly do in the first half of conference play, going 9-0. But as we all know our second half will be tougher. Six of the nine will be on the road, including trips to Furman and ETSU, not to mention Mercer, Samford, and The Citadel- all tough places to win at. While an at-large bid would be nice, I’ve been pretty well convinced that the chances of it happening are slim. We are going to have to win the Asheville tourney. And to get in the best position to do that we really need to finish in the top two of the standings. The top two open tourney play against one of the four bottom teams, teams that will have already played the day before and are also weaker teams overall. Finish 3 or 4 and we likely open with Samford, Mercer, or Furman- all tough matchups for us). And if we can hold on and win the conference we at least assure ourselves of the NIT- not anyone’s first choice, but still a chance to keep playing and get the program more exposure (and maybe even another home game).
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:38 pm

It's still a one game at a time grind like always for the Terriers, but they've built themselves at least a little cushion. I doubt we will finish 18-0 in conference play, but I doubt UNCG runs the table from here either. Winning the regular season and locking in a NIT berth is important. Of course I would want this team to make the NCAA tournament, but knowing we at least have an entrance to the highest profile second option (and an option we don't have to pay to enter) is huge. Besides, I think we have a chance to win a game or two in the NCAAs if things broke our way, but I could see this team going deep into the NIT and maybe even making it to the finals in New York (seeing the Terriers in MSG would be cool). Anyway, none of this is to say that I think the NIT is better than the NCAAs, but at least it would give us a chance to play teams with some name recognition. Also, without the regular season champions autobid, I'm not sure we'd get a NIT invite because that usually ends up being a bunch of .500 teams from power conferences rather than good teams from mid-majors.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18 '19
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18 '19
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:55 pm

If we do not win either the regular season or the tournament championship we will not get a bid to either the NCAA or the NIT.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Though no one knows if we will, I think we can finish 18-0. Heck, 21-0. This team has talent, depth, and most importantly, guts.

Lesser teams give up down 6 to Samford with less than a minute left.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:29 pm

If we end up 21-0 in conference games we might be looking at a 6 or 7 seed! It’s nice to think and dream about.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:32 pm

The biggest mistake anyone or any team can make in sports is getting ahead of yourself. You play one game at a time and one play at a time. If you get ahead of yourself you will get it handed to you.
Last edited by boulder3m on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:07 am

"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:25 pm

On the Coach Mike Young Show the player guest was Nathan Hoover. MY did say that he was going to work on creating a press for Wofford, using the big guys he has that can scramble. I like it. DTL would be great in a press, and one or two of the bigs can hang back and guard the basket. Coach also said they would work on creating a better perimeter defense, as we are next to last in the league in preventing the three.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am

Mercer is always scary to me. They play well and never give up. Our guys were shown in a photo on Twitter practicing last night. Through 21 games this season they have worked to get to this last third of the season with the mindset and skills to win. By the end of this weekend we will have almost evened out the home/away games remaining, and I think these guys will have kept the prize in sight.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:20 pm

I will be there tonight with a couple more to cheer us on. Mercer games in the past have been well attended. We will see if they support a struggling team as well. Hopefully, we bring our A game and get out with a win.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:16 pm

I was at the Tenn-USC game Tuesday night (my wife is a big UT fan), and Tenn faced a South Carolina team that came at them with all they had and super hostile crowd. The Volunteers didn't flinch and took care of business. I am hoping for the same from the Terriers over the next three games, but I know it is going to be tough. We are also not quite #1 in the country :)
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 pm

First big news is Matt Pegram out for the game but Trevor Stumpe is going to play. Coach said Keve and Cheve will play at the same time in this game some. Didn't say what the deal is with Pegram. He has really come on strong in his enthusiasm and leadership lately. You can just see him getting the guys going.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Pegram rolled an ankle on Tues and is in a boot. Out indefinitely. That hurts.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:15 pm

And suddenly we have a game where they are calling all touch fouls on the big guys. Ugh. They have already called four fouls on our bigs. Look at Stumpe take that charge and bounce back up.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball