SoCon Basketball Happenings

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:32 pm

OK, new thread. Furman sucks.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: 150 mi away from where my heart lies

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 am

I am not totally convinced by the Paladins quite yet. I think LSU is going to shush up some of this FU hype Friday. Then they have to go to Johnson City for ETSU- a great shot at another loss, this time in conference. But if Furman manages to win both of these, I’m just going to have to bite the bullet and admit that they’re pretty darned good.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby youngterrier on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 am

That's basically where I am and I think it's the position of senior staff people.

But if you mention it, some Furman fans get absolutely triggered
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
User avatar
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby Terrier13 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

KenPom rankings say they’ve been the 7th luckiest D1 team this year so they’re due to lose a few close games.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby fgs44 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Furman is pretty good, and the fact they are getting recognition is great for us and the conference. Anytime that our conference rivals are playing out of conference, in basketball, I am pulling for them. However, within the conference I am hoping for, and expect to, win every game. I also believe we are better than the rest-- :D =D>
fgs44
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1065
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Houston Texas

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:55 pm

Terrier13 wrote:KenPom rankings say they’ve been the 7th luckiest D1 team this year so they’re due to lose a few close games.

Interesting. The Citadel(8-2) is the 6th luckiest D1 team out of 345 total. Wofford is in the middle of the pack at #165 in luck. And Mercer (4-6) is the unluckiest team in D1, #345!

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankLuck
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:08 pm

I am of the school that says any recognition for the Southern Conference is good for us in the long run. A second bid means huge dollars to the conference, which will be spread evenly. It is a very complex formula, but the pay goes for years. We need two teams in the tournament this year.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: 150 mi away from where my heart lies

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby youngterrier on Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:12 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:
Terrier13 wrote:KenPom rankings say they’ve been the 7th luckiest D1 team this year so they’re due to lose a few close games.

Interesting. The Citadel(8-2) is the 6th luckiest D1 team out of 345 total. Wofford is in the middle of the pack at #165 in luck. And Mercer (4-6) is the unluckiest team in D1, #345!

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankLuck

When you're middle of the pack in terms of luck, that means you're right where you're supposed to be
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
User avatar
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3953
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby boulder3m on Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:09 pm

UNCG had a big win tonight at home against Radford, which has some good wins this early season as well. Radford beat Notre Dame and Texas before they have seemed to go on a downward skid. I believe that is UNCG's last game before the league starts.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: 150 mi away from where my heart lies

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am

boulder3m wrote:UNCG had a big win tonight at home against Radford, which has some good wins this early season as well. Radford beat Notre Dame and Texas before they have seemed to go on a downward skid. I believe that is UNCG's last game before the league starts.

Speaking of scheduling, Radford would be a good home and home for us to work out. If they’ll play UNCG they should be willing to play us too.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby boulder3m on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:38 pm

This is turning out to be a pretty good night for the league. Mercer beat UNCW. WCU lost another-their only flash of brilliance was at Furman. ETSU destroyed Wyoming. Furman looks as if LSU is just too tall for them. Furman shoots well, but the inside play of LSU is just too much. Furman has good shooting guards, and they play hard on defense. It will be interesting to see how they fare after getting their conficence shaken a little.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: 150 mi away from where my heart lies

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:35 am

Furman’s next game is a conference showdown in Johnson City with ETSU. I believe we will see an ETSU victory in that one. I think our key to victory against the Paladins is our strong inside tandem of Cam Jackson, Keve Aluma, Matt Pegram, and Chevy Goodwin. Those guys I think can make life hard for them...or anyone else in the SoCon.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:29 pm

During the SC/Clem game the announcers were talking about the good basketball now being played in South Carolina. He mentioned SC and Clem and then Furman's good record; then talked about MY and Wofford and CoC. Really is true that all 5 are very good teams this year.
Watching the basketball fest this afternoon and it is so obvious that our program is among the really solid programs in the country. With perhaps a few exceptions we can hang with most every team. It occurs to me that not long ago an elite team that scheduled Wofford as a money game at home in the early season probably wouldn't have even game planned us-just suit up and know they had an easy win. That is all changed now. No one will take us for granted.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 pm
Location: 150 mi away from where my heart lies

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:05 pm

boulder3m wrote:During the SC/Clem game the announcers were talking about the good basketball now being played in South Carolina. He mentioned SC and Clem and then Furman's good record; then talked about MY and Wofford and CoC. Really is true that all 5 are very good teams this year.
Watching the basketball fest this afternoon and it is so obvious that our program is among the really solid programs in the country. With perhaps a few exceptions we can hang with most every team. It occurs to me that not long ago an elite team that scheduled Wofford as a money game at home in the early season probably wouldn't have even game planned us-just suit up and know they had an easy win. That is all changed now. No one will take us for granted.

I heard those same comments today. And they’re all true. And it’s also true that even though the South Carolina Lamecocks had one magical Final Four season they are in the bottom tier of the SEC now and would not even make the Final 4 in the state of South Carolina this year! I love it as an unabashed Lamecock hater! Go Terriers and go Clemson Tigers as long as you’re not playing Wofford!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Re: SoCon Basketball Happenings

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:28 pm

UNCG had an eight-point road win at Samford today 83-75. Great road win for the Spartans as Samford had been playing some very good basketball...they showed why they are the conference favorites. But we can beat them.

Now every SoCon team has played one conference game.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:55 am

Next

Return to Men's Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest