Sagarin

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Sagarin

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm

Couple of things; First, the money from the TV rights to the tournament are so huge that to some extent the attendance at the first round games isn't a big factor. They expect the venues to sell out. Second, if the NCAA Tournament wanted to be more fair and spread more money around they could easily seed the top 16 or 32, go to a 128 team field and play-in during the first week. Others have suggested every team in D1 play during week 1 to get down to 64 for the start of week 2. However, you know what the opposition is to this: the big boys don't want the little guys getting more of THEIR money. Remember, it's not about what is fair, it is all about the money. The P5 conferences control the NCAA, and everyone in the know is aware of it. It is oftentimes ludicrous, but it's always beneath everything with the NCAA.
For example, all that money that's being given to the lowest FBS teams in the most obscure bowls...how does that compare to the money going to the FCS playoff teams? Most FCS teams that get to the playoffs are fortunate to NOT lose money in the process. Only NDSU has figured out how to make the FCS more lucrative than FBS!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 am

BigJohn94 wrote:My solution somewhat goes back to high school tournament days. The conference tournament champion gets a bid, and the regular season champion also gets in. That way one is rewarded for the lengthy season play, and then one is rewarded for the tournament play. If the team is the same, then the 2nd place regular season team gets the 2nd bid, again rewarded for longevity rather than being a hot team. Then, begin the at-large selections. It would help minimize having a conference like the ACC from having 9 or 10 teams in the tournament.

I like the idea of both the regular season and tourney conference champs getting in. But in order to implement it, I bet the “big boys” would insist on an expansion to 96 teams so that they could still squeeze their teams in.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

March Madness is, in my opinion, somewhat overblown.

If you accept conference tournaments as part of the playoffs, almost every team really participates in the championship. The Ivies, and maybe a few others, limit tournament participation, but that is their decision.

As it is, the big conference tournaments are nothing but a money grab that rarely allows a team with a poor regular season to get hot and make the tourney. The ACC tournament, for example, is nothing but a cash generator. The SoCon tournament means something important, unfortunately, the regular season only helps with getting a first round bye or an invitation to the NIT.

Fans get excited about the big first and second round upsets, but, how many people actually watched Virginia lose in the first round last year? Of course, the FCS playoffs aren't much better, with half the CAA making the field and then promptly eliminated.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby drpnut on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:23 pm

This is not a Saragin rank but I just saw we have climbed to no 2 in the mid major poll. Wow,,
drpnut
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 am

There are a number of bracket projections each week, but every single one of them only show one SoCon team. Luckily it is us, and we are shown a 10 or 11 seed. But the simple fact is that the Socon is shown as a one team league.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am

Given our track record as a 1 bid league, it is reasonable to assume they will only project our conference winner especially since we are winning the league currently. However, let's say something crazy happens like we run the table and then lose to UNCG in final, our NET and KenPom rankings will still be very high and they would be hard-pressed to leave us out.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 am

They will make some lame excuse to leave us out in Atldog’s scenario and we would end up in the NIT. Unfortunately it will be just that, a one bid league, pretty much no matter what happens the rest of the way. We should start calling it the Rodney Dangerfield Conference. And it doesn’t help that teams we played like Oklahoma, Kansas, Mississippi State, and South Carolina haven’t exactly been tearing it up on the court lately. Neither does missing a game with Stanford that I frankly think we would have won.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:12 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:They will make some lame excuse to leave us out in Atldog’s scenario and we would end up in the NIT. Unfortunately it will be just that, a one bid league, pretty much no matter what happens the rest of the way. We should start calling it the Rodney Dangerfield Conference. And it doesn’t help that teams we played like Oklahoma, Kansas, Mississippi State, and South Carolina haven’t exactly been tearing it up on the court lately. Neither does missing a game with Stanford that I frankly think we would have won.

The problem facing the SoCon is that no-one is the league will likely ever play a ranked team after January 1st of any year. That is a high hurdle to overcome.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:20 pm

I think MY makes sure these guys don't get the big head. Our three games against the 3 "best" teams in the league are well spaced, and our guys know what they have to do to make sure those games stay big. For us every game has to be as large as possible without wearing out our team mentally and physically. One of the things that makes it a tough league is that the final 17 games are league games and then it goes directly into the conference tournament. I'm not sure any other conference is as intense as ours. To win the conference you have to play 20 straight games against conference teams-three of which you have played twice before! That is brutal.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:31 pm

I seem to remember back many years ago (15 to 20) when Davidson had a very good season (something like 24 and 4), and were regular season SoCon champs, but lost in the tournament. They did not go to the big dance. Now the SoCon was a weaker conference back then and their Sagarin number was not that good, but they did beat at least one power 5 team that may have been ranked at the time.

We just need to take care of business and not trust to luck.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:06 pm

More information on my earlier post; the year was 1995-96, Davidson went 14 - 0 in the SoCon regular season winning by an average margin of 20+ points. Won 19 in a row and only lost to NCS, Michigan, and UNCW. Overall record going into the SoCon tournament was 25 - 3. They lost to WCU 69 - 60 in the tournament. I don't know how they came out in the NIT, but that's where they played after the regular season.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:02 pm

That's also when they started to look for other conferences to play in. Ironically, the A-10 is pretty weak this year as well and may be a 1 or max 2 bid league.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:15 pm

Davidson is a good team this year, and if the A10 is a multi-bid league they will be in the tournament. How good are they? It would appear that Wofford and Davidson are very close to the same. The SoCon probably has 4 teams at the top better than the best 4 in the A10, but there's no real way to know. I admire Davidson College and know how good the school is, but I still don't like that they have so many foreign players or foreign students. For decades Davidson has drifted toward a more liberal agenda in many ways. There is not much of a local flavor to their student body or their faculty or staff. Their basketball team reflects the attitude that they are better than others, which pervades Davidson. If McKillop is such a good coach, why does he need to bring in foreign players to compete?
Well, back to the ratings. We are rated above Davidson, but if either team loses that will change dramatically.
On the NET rating we are #30, and Davidson is way behind us at #68, indicating that the strength of the A10 is not regarded that well. The SoCon has the top 4 teams rated pretty highly, with the next three on down the line. What hurts us is that the lowest rated three in the SoCon are VERY low overall, and that pulls everyone down. WCU, The Citadel and VMI are not highly regarded. If we had all 10 of the league teams in the top 200-250 it would certainly help the teams trying to get in the tournament on some basis other than winning the tournament.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 pm

Games on Friday night included a couple of teams near the top of the Mid Majors rankings. The Flying Foreigners of Davidson had to make a comeback to take down St Bonny. Then, the darling of the mid-majors (other than Gonzaga) Buffalo, went down at Bowling Green. Bowling Green built a large lead and then nearly lost it in the last few minutes. The MAC has a lot of teams with bigger names than the SoCon, but the level of basketball does not appear to be obviously any different. Which means that by the rankings if you take away Gonzaga it is very competitive. Kind of like NDSU in the FCS, right? Well, we knew the game at ETSU was building up to be a biggie. and nothing has changed. Hope our guys are awake and ready for a one o'clock game in the land of shrimp and grits.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 pm

I dunno why there's such fixation on the demographics of Davidson's basketball team
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball