2018-19 schedule

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2019

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2018-19 schedule

Postby lawdog on Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:57 pm

Carver tonight, 7 pm, SoCon Digital Network.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:23 pm

Watching and listening to the Mars Hill game on a cold Black Friday afternoon. These games with lesser teams are a really good opportunity for the coaches to see their new and bench players in game time. Unforutnately it also gives our big guys the chance to think they are point guards...
On another front, I notice there is a "Ticket Exchange" to click on at the Wofford webpage. Does anyone know how that works?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:28 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Not directly about the T-Dogs, but does talk about some of the scheduling issues we have discussed.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/col ... 06070.html
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:49 pm

The amazing thing is that the majors don't mind scheduling Wofford anymore and I think Wofford is willing to trade a 2 for 1 on occasion to sweeten the season ticket pot for the locals. We can't afford to buy many games at the JRIS, but our schedules are getting MUCH better than in the past. For the first time this year we scheduled 5 P5 teams and had a puncher's chance to win them all. If our program continues at this level we will get some good tournament invitations as well. Those big tournaments pay big dollars and give great exposure. Dave Odom, are you listening? We want to go to Maui!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:11 am

Yes, our schedule is actually pretty good this season. 7 non conference home games, 4 of them D1 foes, including North Carolina (ACC), Coppin State (MEAC), UNC-Asheville (Big South), Coastal Carolina (Sun Belt), along with a rigorous road schedule that has really challenged us, let us know where we stand, and made us a better basketball team. Unfortunately, it just turns out that a couple of our visitors to the JRIS, Coppin State and UNCA, programs that have had very good years in the past, are having especially down years this season. I do sometimes wish we could have an all D1 schedule, because on one level I absolutely hate non D1 games, but I realize that this will never happen. Because it just isn’t realistic or practical for a few reasons. Some mid-majors probably don’t want to play us, especially not in the JRIS, because they know it will be a tough game for them. This is a compliment to our program and one of the costs of being successful. And on the flip side there are some D1 programs that we don’t want to schedule (for example, I think AD Richard Johnson still holds a grudge against the USC Upstate basketball program for the Jerry Waters handshake snub of 1987- and I am sure there are others we don’t want to play for other various reasons). And an all-D1 schedule would mean fewer home games every year because we would have to give many of these teams return trips to their place. We don’t have to give non-D1 teams return visits. So on the positive side the non D1 games allow us to get more home games as I mentioned as well as get everyone playing time and work out some kinks and give us a break in an otherwise tough schedule of games.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:46 pm

I would love to see us go to Hawaii and play in the Diamond Head Classic one year. This year the field is Indiana State, Bucknell, Charlotte, Hawaii, Colorado, UNLV, TCU, and Rhode Island. Wofford can definitely compete in that field with all those teams. And who WOULDN’T love spending the holidays on a Hawaiian beach? I know a lot of people have mentioned Maui, but that tournament usually gets more elite teams. Wofford probably wouldn’t be considered for it and if we did go we’d likely realistically lose three games in three days which would take all the fun out of being in Maui and who wants that?
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:31 am

Good point. Went to the Maui classic a few years back, wonderful experience.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:34 pm

I'm glad to see the OOC home schedule improve. It hasn't been that many years since we had zero D-I OOC games at home. I believe that the NCAA allows up to four non D-I games per year. Wofford has been playing 2-3 of these and most of the SoCon schools have done the same or more. As much as those games provide an opportunity to pick up easy wins and get playing time for everyone, I think the conference needs to make a decision to phase these out. Doing so would help everyone's strength of schedule and raise the profile of the league as a whole. That alone isn't going to start getting at-large tournament berths, but might help someone grab an at-large NIT berth or get a better power 5 game since those schools definitely want to play people who will help their resume, too.
SoCon Champs '03 '07 '10 '12 '17 '18
FCS Playoffs '03 '07 '08 '10 '11 '12 '16 '17 '18
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90 '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48 '49 '50 '51 '52 '54 '56 '57 '61 '62 '63 '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:31 pm

I’m definitely for reducing or flat out eliminating the presence of non D1 games on our schedule. But I’d like to see more home and home series scheduled with other mid-majors. And I love the team being in 2 and 3 day tournaments that feature other mid-major schools. Plus when we play mid-majors we have more interesting home games for our fans than if we play several uninteresting non-D1 schools just to get home games (that few will attend) and easy wins that really don’t even count for anything at all to the selection folks or if on the other extreme we just play a slew of Power 5 games that are mostly on the road (and mostly L’s). We had 6 Power 5 games scheduled this season (one of them got cancelled) and that to me is definitely enough- maybe a bit more than enough. If we play too many of these games our win-loss record likely suffers to the point where we won’t be looked at for an at-large bid anyway. Mostly MID-MAJOR non-conference scheduling, along with a few money games, is the way to go! It would be nice if all mid-majors came to the agreement that they should play more of each other.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball