2018-19 Season Forecast

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2018-19 Season Forecast

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:00 pm

Admittedly it is early. However, it is not too difficult to opine on next season, since we lose only one senior. And in effect we have two new but experienced players on the roster, in Goodwin and Hickert. They are talented and should help us be better. Hopefully, Lowery will improve closer to his potential, especially on defense and rebounding, and will be a real positive next year. With everyone being more experienced, we should be improved and in fact a favorite to win the conference and get a bid. To put icing on the cake, hopefully we can get a really fine versatile new player with size, hunger, and defensive ability, perhaps even a JuCo.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2018-19 Season Forecast

Postby Ruckus2 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:53 pm

I hope we never take the JuCo route. An odd player t’ferring in is one thing but relying on JuCo’s is whole different animal.
Ruckus2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:11 pm

I hate to say it about Lowery but I don't see him being a factor going forward. I think Goodwin will get more minutes and possibly even Manning who played ok in some spot time last in the season and maybe Hickert. Between Jackson, Pegram, Aluma and Goodwin, I'm not sure there is much more P.T. for big guys. We could use someone who is a tweener, 6'6", good shooter/rebounder and not afraid to do dirty work against other team's best players kind of like Stumpe. All our guards are 6-3", 6-4" but we could use a little more size and someone who can get in the paint at will with kickouts to our shooters for easy looks. Not easy to find but they are out there. I agree that we should be picked near the top but UNCG will be the pre-season favorite returning Troy, Alonso and DIckey to the starting lineup and Miller (if he stays) has proven to be a tough coach against us.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 pm

Ruckus2 wrote:I hope we never take the JuCo route. An odd player t’ferring in is one thing but relying on JuCo’s is whole different animal.

I totally agree about not relying on JuCo's, but if we can get just the right player on occasion who meets a specific need - for example, we now need someone with a frenetic hustle/defense blue collar mean streak bent like Skinner - and has a respectable academic record, I would be in favor. Or maybe a similar major program transfer who sees a chance for a better opportunity. Most really successful teams have one or two like that.

Atldog, as far as a 6-6 guy who can get in the paint, score or kick out, etc., I have been looking at Hickert's film and he was good at that in high school. I wonder how he has looked in practice this year; anyone know?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Just a hunch, but I think Miller will jump and run as quickly as he can. In NC two jobs that are farther up the ladder are available; East Carolina and UNCC. However, I doubt Wes Miller would take either, as they are both coaching graveyards. Same with Ryan Odom at UMBC. The Pittsburg job is available, and there will be more high profile jobs in the region. I just think those two coaches are hot right now and will get while the gettin' is good!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Matt O'Connor was a JuCo guy. He wasn't a terrific player, from what I recall, but seemed like a really good kid. And was a contributor. Meanwhile, Wofford has had some success with other transfers: Rundles and Diggs!!

But, yes, I think it's best to recruit high school kids who will be on track to play for four years. While Wofford won't have many scholarships this spring, it does seem like it could be a good situation for the right player. We lacked, I think, a tough and athletic wing this year -- someone to grab that loose ball or long rebound, to bring some serious additional defense to perimeter, to give some versatility. A player like that could step in and play a lot, I think. Then, with Magee and Jackson as seniors next season, there could ample playing time as a sophomore for a post player or shooting guard.....
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:30 pm

If we do not improve our DEFENSE, then next season will not be any better than this season was. You can’t win a conference championship with a mediocre defensive effort.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:13 pm

lawdog wrote:
Ruckus2 wrote:I hope we never take the JuCo route. An odd player t’ferring in is one thing but relying on JuCo’s is whole different animal.

I totally agree about not relying on JuCo's, but if we can get just the right player on occasion who meets a specific need - for example, we now need someone with a frenetic hustle/defense blue collar mean streak bent like Skinner - and has a respectable academic record, I would be in favor. Or maybe a similar major program transfer who sees a chance for a better opportunity. Most really successful teams have one or two like that.

Atldog, as far as a 6-6 guy who can get in the paint, score or kick out, etc., I have been looking at Hickert's film and he was good at that in high school. I wonder how he has looked in practice this year; anyone know?

If memory serves me, seems like I recall several players from Spartanburg Methodist College (a JUCO) playing their final years for Wofford. This would have been in the early to mid 60s. Anyone recall if that's true?
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Art, you may be thinking about Zeke Bateman, a transfer from North Greenville J.C., who was I believe our first African American player and who teamed with Tommy Nagle to give us a great guard tandem. There may have been others, but Zeke stands out. Good guy too. http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2010022 ... greenville
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Art Vandalay on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 pm

lawdog wrote:Art, you may be thinking about Zeke Bateman, a transfer from North Greenville J.C., who was I believe our first African American player and who teamed with Tommy Nagle to give us a great guard tandem. There may have been others, but Zeke stands out. Good guy too. http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2010022 ... greenville

No. Had to be before Zeke due to all the guys being white. Mathew Pegram's great uncle played on the teams as I recall. Don't know if he was one of the folks I'm thinking about or not. I'm a Spartanburg guy (at least in high school) and I went to Wofford games in Andrews Field House long before I attended Wofford as a student.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Willie Pegram was in my class at Wofford, and was not a transfer. Interestingly, Willie's name was pronounced "pee gram" at the time. Don't know if we were mispronouncing it or whether it got changed by the family later. Willie was a gentle giant of about 6'9" at the time, and just an all around good guy.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:16 am

As a freshman I played with Willie his senior year, 67-68. There was a really good player named Bobby Kendall, from Delaware I think, on that team; he was killed in a car wreck with three other Wofford students in November 1967. Bobby may have been a transfer, and there may have been 1-2 more such transfers during the preceding few years. I agree with Boulder; Willie was a good guy, and player. Saw Willie 2-3 years ago; he has done well and looks good.

About 1972, Billy Mitchell, a good guard, transferred here from NC State.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Doug Lowe (Sburg, Sburg Hi), 1 of our all time great PG, also transferred from Clemson. Played w Bill Mitchell, Ralph Hannah (Sburg, Dorman), and a crew that made playoffs in early 70S. Gene Alexander was coach.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:18 pm

Two thoughts on next year. First (and it wouldn't really be for next year) is that Mike Young could come stay in Winston-Salem to recruit the Wake Forest players leaving their program. Second is that I wish MY would consider using a zone defense with this team. We have the height to handle the inside, and I think we could handle the perimeter as well. Virtually every NBA team is using a zone these days and many of the better NCAA teams are using some form of it. For us it would protect our bigs better and keep them from getting the fouls built up as we have been. It also takes a little bit less leg power to play a zone, and saves our guys for the end of the game a little better. My guess is that the Central Michigan game was an experiment to see if we can run with another mid major rather than grind it out with a man defense all night. The answer came up OO! I know it takes a lot for a man to man coach to switch, and it may take an assistant who knows the nuances of a good zone or variance thereof.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Excellent point Boulder. At the least we should become good at switching to a zone to surprise and check momentum of the other team. The right zone at the right time can shut down the other team. It would dovetail well with our generally deliberate offense.

I like the full court zone D that UNCG has been using recently. It throws the other team off its rhythm, makes the other team’s offense start further out and with less time, and gets a few turnovers and cheap layups every game, which I think against us have been difference makers.

In favor of a transfer or two from a place like Wake.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball