CIT

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: CIT

Postby Hobo on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Todd tweeted this

"From what I understand better now, paying for home game also comes with some power to influence pairings. Liberty used that power, apparently. As a result, Wofford gets home game at bargain price."

Sounds like Liberty was scared
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Play host Friday night at 7pm vs. the Chippewas; from the Central Michigan website:

http://www.cmuchippewas.com/sports/m-ba ... 18aaa.html

And ours:

http://woffordterriers.com/index.aspx?path=mbball&

Hope JRIS is jammed!
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:58 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:47 pm

So what I infer is we got a home game by default because no one wants to pony up a bid. And for a minor tournament like this that is not surprising. So how about just getting rid of the bidding crap, seed all the teams, and the highest seed hosts!

But it also seems like they had to beg us to host...we should be jumping at the chance to play at home again! I’m sure the players would rather play at home than on the road!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:01 pm

I just want to make the comment that UNCG played a great game to push Gonzaga to the limit. The highest seeds seem to always manage to pull out the games at the end, but UNCG had a lead with 1:06 remaining. That is just one more indicator of how close we are to being a really good team.
As for the Southern Conference, it means so much if a team can get a win or two, because each game pays the team (actually the league of the team) a large check that is divided among the teams in the league after the expenses of the participating team. A $1 million check to the SoCon means $100,000 or so to each school, and that is so significant at our level. You can easily see how the Power 5 conferences get pretty jealous about the mid-majors cutting into their pie. When the tournament moves to the Sweet 16 the checks get much larger, and then the Final Four checks are huge. The ACC, for example, pretty much counts on 15 or more games with some hefty total payouts to every team (even Pittsburg and Wake). On the other hand, the NCAA makes its fortune on the NCAA Tournament, and every NCAA member gets money in various ways (even Wofford).
Davidson jumped to the A10, and frankly has had limited success before this year. This year, however, Davidson upset regular season winner Rhode Island in their tournament and got an extra (total of 3) bid for the conference. Already in round 1 Davidson has lost but Rhode Island has won, sot he league is guaranteed at least 4 games-and a big payout. Add to that the prestige the conference gained with three bids and at least one win, and they hope it will carry forward to the selection committee next year. The article below details a little of how it worked last year.

https://herosports.com/ncaa-tournament/ ... -fund-a7a7
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 am

So would the best overall long term plan for Wofford athletics be to drop football then try to concentrate on basketball and join a multi-bid conference like the A-10? Plus, the course of action might help us get to 11.7 scholarships in baseball, not to mention some big win totals from planing in an easier conference and some NCAA berths in that sport! Maybe football and the SoCon are actually holding us back in some ways...

Oh, and in my opinion if UNCG had simply took time off the clock with their lead and forced Gonzaga to foul instead of trying that risky alley-oop play that ended up being a turnover that opened the door for the Zags, we very likely might be talking about a big NCAA win for the SoCon.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 am

But let’s enjoy the CIT since we do have a home game and can actually feel like we’re a part of this thing now. We are a 5 point favorite to defeat the Central Michigan Chippewas (who I bet are under tremendous pressure from the PC idiots to change their mascot, but that’s another story). Win, and we are in the CIT quarterfinals! We can win a postseason basketball tournament title and hang another banner from the JRIS rafters with four more wins! Looking at the CIT field, we have as good a chance as anyone, especially if we can play some more home games. GO TERRIERS!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:26 am

I would never advocate for giving up football (it's personal with me). However, we are living in a different world today and things can quickly change. There is a lot of pressure against football (and anything involving Alpha males) today, and it is hard to see that ending. It is difficult to get enough players to field teams in many area of the country, and other sports are gobbling up the male athletes. Davidson had leadership that for whatever reason did everything to quash football, and putting emphasis on basketball was more politically correct. It just happens to be the most financially correct at this point in whatever the NCAA is doing. The Power 5 conferences can and will do whatever benefits them the most, and they could care less about the damage to football at our level. We'll see what happens, but I just want the Wofford folks to be aware of the potential monetary situation that basketball presents.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:59 am

the case for making basketball a core competency is basically this: there's less fixed costs when it comes to running a fully funded basketball program (other than maybe paying 7 figures for a coach like the coach k's and calpari's). There's probably more net gain if you're a good program that can perennially make the tournament and win at least one game.

football, on the other hand, has higher fixed costs (more scholarships) and I imagine higher travel expenses. However, you probably get more money as an athletics program playing an FBS game every year than you do playing in the NCAA tournament. The reason PC is going the non-scholarship route is because the fixed costs are a drain that they don't judge as worth it as they aren't successful. So, they're basically forgoing the ability to make money off FBS games (because FBS can't really play patriot or pioneer teams) to offset the massive fixed costs. Put another way, they're putting themselves in a position where they can be more competitive against non-scholly teams instead of being 3-8 and apathetic every year. Playing those FBS teams wasn't the same as Wofford doing it because the lack of success probably suppressed other potential revenue (merch, ticket sales, etc) and so they were probably breaking even with the price of scholarships every year multiplied by the number they had to provide to be D1.

Wofford's in a better position than Davidson or PC ever was because we've had success at the D1 level, which means we can play those FBS games, get revenue that comes from enthusiasm (booster support, maybe some more merch and ticket sales).

And again, I don't have any inside information but I pieced this much together after reading some people who have experience with D1 athletics and about PC's decisions. So I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the above is a good summary of why we do what we do. The only reason I'd see us abandon football is if we sucked for a decade or something, which is definitely possible, but for the time being it's a worth-while investment.

I'm not going to dive too deep in the political correctness commentary because I think it's an imprecise term and there are multiple dimensions to political correctness. Yeah the alpha male bits are problematic and a lot of zealous people want to do away with it (though I have met no one at Wofford who does, there are a couple at USC, where I got my masters), but Wofford is also a school that's roughly 80% white and for various reasons from rankings to public perception wants to at least maintain the proportion of minority students that attend. Assuming half of the football team is African American, doing away with football would "drop our diversity" by like 20% to 15%.

Long story short, there are institutional motives at Wofford that will prevent the PC police from doing away with football. Some of it is cultural (people love football!) some of it is practical, like the above. And again, I don't have inside information, the above paragraph is my deduction of Wofford's thinking.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Anybody know how to get the game in video? Not on Watch ESPN and the Wofford site link doesn't work.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Boulder the video liink is working for me. try it now
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Which link? I am trying to use the one from the woffordterriers.com site.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:07 pm

CBS Sports Digital has it
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:11 pm

Anyone know why Brooks isn’t playing?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Sorry, tried everything and can't find it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball