Chattanooga, 1/20 7PM

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Chattanooga, 1/20 7PM

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 am

Mike Young called this one a trap during his interview after the win at Samford. On paper we should be the clear favorite here. We are playing at home and the Mocs come in winnless in the SoCon at 0-6. Not a deep team to start with, the Mocs have been further depleted by significant injuries. Right now, they only have five scholarship players available. The hope is that the Terriers will come out with their A game and put the Mocs away early, and that our young bench guys will get significant floor time, including some guys that don’t get to play a whole lot in conference action. But the Mocs are still a D-1 basketball team that we must be ready for...they are not going to lay down for us. We will get their best shot. We cannot look ahead. Protect our home court. Take care of business.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Chattanooga, 1/20 7PM

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:41 pm

Chattanooga beat us the last 4 years in the Benjo.

We have to buck that trend
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:45 pm

ESPN3.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Apparently we cannot throw it in the ocean tonight? Down 8 to the worst team in the conference. Need to find a way to rally in the 2nd half!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:46 pm

we are playing really bad.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Woof, we look bad. Tired legs may be contributing to missed shots but we're not defending very well either. Too many easy buckets given up and we're not making the open looks from 3 that we're creating. That's a terrible combination.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:58 pm

To shoot that badly and still win by 4 is fortunate; we can learn from that. BUT don't do it again. Murphy was clutch.

Chatt is awfully good to be winless in the conference; they have talent.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 pm

I'm frustrated with the officiating on this one.

Cam got hit in the face or push to the ground at least twice with no whistle.

I hope he's okay to play, if not against VMI Wednesday, than ETSU Thursday. We need him.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:13 pm

I saw Cam walking across the floor after the game. He looked tired but was walking by himself. I hope for the best.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Looking ahead, I don't like that ETSU gets the extra day of rest by playing on Wednesday. I know these are young guys who can recover quickly, but I think we all saw tonight what tired legs can do to our shooting.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:15 pm

Cam had a tough night. Hurt on two seperate occasions (and no foul called on either one). But Matthew Pegram had a very nice game to help pick up the slack...and thank goodness he did because we really needed it. Mike Young said on his postgame show that Cam “was going to be OK”-that is very good news.

I kind of regret my earlier post that discussed our bench getting a lot of playing time- any Mocs seeing it likely took it as a slight against them. Chatty is much better than their record and all credit to them, they came in and took it to us. They got a couple of key guys back tonight that had been injured and that obviously made a big difference- one of them, London, had 20 points and the other, Lewis, scored 12. We were very poor in the first half and seemed to lack energy and drive, but I think the Mocs had something to do with that. We picked it up in the second half but were still very fortunate to pull it out. Fletch hit a couple of huge threes that turned the tide. It was a gritty, gutty win that for a while I simply did not think we were going to get tonight. Especially since we were battling all kinds of foul trouble as well as Cam’s injury late. It’s nice to win one with your “C” game.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:49 pm

Matt Pegram had a huge game. He played several short bursts, but did a great job on both defense and offense. That #22 for them could be quite a player. He showed some moves that are big time. Matt got some questionable calls, but did a good job of keeping them off the boards. The bald headed ref came into the game looking for offensive fouls to call and he got his money's worth tonight! It was another great crowd, with a lot of tickets sold. The upper deck was partially full. Wish the season ticket holders who aren't going to be there could give them to some families who would love to go. It is a great atmosphere and a wonderful family night out. I'm actually beginning to believe that Wofford may become a basketball school yet!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:03 am

Magee is one of those players....who can have a bit of an 'off' game and then, blam!, make 3 3-pointers in near-succession to take command of the game.

Not a terrific game for Wofford. But, yes, Magee came through in the clutch; Murphy made huge free throws; Stumpe once again did lots of good things; Pegram had a nice game; Hoover hit some shots. It's a win!

If it's true that London (#22) for UTC was just returning to action, then that would very much be a significant development. He was really difficult to guard.

Glad my dude Hobo saw Jackson walking off the court after the game and looking OK. I hope he is.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 pm

I don't think we've ever been this deep at the guard position before. Obviously each has their own specialty (Fletcher shooting, Storm at point, Brooks on the boards) but we're just deep and I don't see much drop off with Theme-Love and Hoover. Like the three aforementioned players excel on those skillsets but every one else is in aggregate about the same on average (except for maybe Fletch).

The thing I'm concerned about is our forwards. Pegram has improved but we're still waiting on some more consistency. Jackson is having an all conference year (in spite of his foul problems at times). Alumna is showing improvement and playing well but he needs to continue to improve. I can't wait to see what Goodwin does for us next year.

Stumpe is a unique player that's hard to guard as well. Kinda like Beans for Furman, except in my opinion better.

I think it's safe to say this year and next we're going to compete for a socon title.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Stumpe reminds me of Spencer Collins from several years ago with his ability to shoot from the perimeter and take people off the dribble and finish at the rim. If he can improve his 3FG% so he's just a shade more efficient, he has the makings of a really special player and the kind of talent to put us over the top. Inconsistent post play will continue to hurt us but I think Aluma has come along strong and is beginning to put the pieces together. If he and Pegram can satisfactorily backup Jackson and limit the drop off when he's out of the game (tough, given Jackson is playing at an all-conference level), we could go really far this year and next.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball