South Carolina in season opener

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: South Carolina in season opener

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:29 pm

This is embarrassing to have ESPN coverage screw up- makes up look like such a small-time program :/
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Game finally on ESPN3.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:58 pm

This arena is nice.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby Peachy Carnahan on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:14 pm

Some of those fouls on Pegram are laughable.
Peachy Carnahan
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:24 pm

We aren't playing well
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:37 pm

Epic fail. An overall losing record seems likely. Very disappointed.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 pm

We were not going to beat USC tonight. We did not guard them as well as we could have, but they played well and very likely have won even if we had played our best. They shot the ball extremely well. USC should do well in the Southeast Conference.

We did not play as well as we could, or as well as we will later. Part of that was the other team's D, and part of that was simply a bad night. Even with a subpar game against a good game by a quality opponent, we lost by only 20.

Murphy really impressed me; he penetrates and distributes, is always thinking, and is energetic and fearless; reminds me a bit of EG already. The team had more energy with him in the game. Our other PGs are too horizontal and passive.

Hoover and Magee had subpar games, and will no doubt play better later on.

This game was beneficial. We got a chance to see where we stand and what we need to do better.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:09 pm

The game itself was incidental to showing off the new arena to the fans and supporters. The object is to get people to make going to the JRIS a part of their lives. If the hook is playing South Carolina when they are on top then let it be. This Wofford team only has one senior and lots of talent. They may not challenge for the SoCon championship this year, but chances are that they will be there next year. Enjoy the fact that we have one of the best arenas of any size in the country and go to as many games as possible. NO other school in the country has what we have. Appreciate it. That we can get USC, Ga Tech, Harvard and UNC to come to Spartanburg and play is pretty special.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:16 am

Some thoughts:

**The new arena really is something else. I don't imagine that there are many mid-major gyms that are as nice and well-designed, overall. I do think it's regrettable to have students ONLY behind the basket. I think there should be a section on the sideline, at least behind the home bench. The students were noisy against USC, but if we get into the winter and the number of students at the game dwindle....well, I think it would be smart to have those who are really into the games be closer to the center of the action. But, yeah, that gym is amazing. Should help in recruiting --in a big way -- for years to come.

**I think Murphy is probably the guy at point guard. He just brought more action. It wasn't always great; he drove in a little out of control, got a couple shots stuffed. But he's REALLY QUICK and at least made some good stuff happen. I think Theme-Love is solid, but it just didn't seem like he could get any space, create advantages.

**Magee had a great first half. USC shut him down pretty well in the second half. Someone else is going to have to make 3-pointers (well, besides Pegram, though I like his apparent outside shooting prowess). I really like Hoover. He plays hard. I think he's tough. If he can become a consistently good outside shooter, it could make a big difference.

**I think Jackson and Pegram looked solid. Those guys for USC are pretty good -- Silva and Kotser (sp.?). Maybe they weren't the stars, but they played significant minutes in the FINAL FOUR about 8 months ago. They're no joke. I think that against most SoCon teams, Jackson and Pegram will do well. Jackson, in fact, could be a stud this year....I feel like Pegram, though he's not exceptionally quick, could be significantly improved and a real factor. I like those two.

**USC isn't shabby. They lost a lot of players from last season, and I doubt they'll be anywhere close to the Final Four this year. However, they are really well-coached; they have some athletes; their post play (again, Silva and Kotser) is pretty good; they shot well. This isn't a bad team we're talking about, from what I could tell.

**Defense....Wofford might not have a dynamic perimeter athlete this year like Karl Cochran or a junkyard dog like Tim Johnson or Cam Rundles or Lee Skinner. I don't know. But I think that someone will need to step up as the leader defensively. I think Hoover is tough; Magee is certainly athletic enough (though I figure he needs to keep some energy focused on scoring); the post guys are big enough and talented. I don't know....I do think Hoover seems to be tough.

**Hollowell played only a little. But he looks tough and athletic and maybe a strong defender on the perimeter.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:00 am

[quote="dude"]Some thoughts:

**The new arena really is something else. I don't imagine that there are many mid-major gyms that are as nice and well-designed, overall. I do think it's regrettable to have students ONLY behind the basket. I think there should be a section on the sideline, at least behind the home bench. The students were noisy against USC, but if we get into the winter and the number of students at the game dwindle....well, I think it would be smart to have those who are really into the games be closer to the center of the action. But, yeah, that gym is amazing. Should help in recruiting --in a big way -- for years to come.

...quote]

My concern with seating is that many fans, myself included, bought season tickets specifically for the Big 3 home games (USC, GT, and Harvard). I live an hour and a half away and will be lucky to make about 30-40% of the games. Since we use the same credit card tickets as we use for football, giving tickets away to the games I can't attend will be difficult. I suspect a significant number of fans are in similar situations. We will likely see games this year where the "boneyard" and upper decks are full will lots of empty seats close to the court in plain view of the ESPN3 cameras.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 am

walliver wrote:
dude wrote:Some thoughts:

...quote]

My concern with seating is that many fans, myself included, bought season tickets specifically for the Big 3 home games (USC, GT, and Harvard). I live an hour and a half away and will be lucky to make about 30-40% of the games. Since we use the same credit card tickets as we use for football, giving tickets away to the games I can't attend will be difficult. I suspect a significant number of fans are in similar situations. We will likely see games this year where the "boneyard" and upper decks are full will lots of empty seats close to the court in plain view of the ESPN3 cameras.

Yes, was talking about this last night. There needs to be a way for season ticket holders to access their accounts and send/printout game-day pdfs that take the place of the credit cards for that game only.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 am

it's the first season in a new arena. I bet there will be growing pains (much as there are with this very young team). Wofford will be fine long term and I have no doubt that our sports information staff (and coaching staff for that matter) will adjust. If you're seriously concerned, I suggest emailing one of the staff with one or two suggestions.

I can't wait until I make a game, in may be a few months. Last night I think ESPN3 beat us almost as bad as the Gamecocks
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:07 am

Hobo and Walliver- I addressed the same thing with staff when tickets went on sale and decided not to buy because I don't want prime seats going unused. This is what I would propose; For those willing to purchase prime seats but unable to use them often, let the school set up a system to allow those seats to be repurchased and the owner get a portion back (or donate to Wofford) and the school get a portion for their trouble. I know the school wants to sell new tickets for the revenue, but if you are like me you would rather sit at home than deal with parking hassle and bad seats. I know, there are no bad seats at the JRIS, but the point is made. Unless and until seats are scarce at the JRIS we will have the problem. Here in ACC territory you have to GIVE and give to get good seats at any arena. We can only dream that is the case one day at the JRIS.
For those who think South Carolina will be a so-so team this year-anyone wanna place a little wager? That team has talent and plays great defense in a somewhat unique style. Can't wait until the next time I run into Dave Odom to ask about his impressions of the building and the teams.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I agree that USC may be pretty solid this season.

Again JRIS is a fabulous facility. And I think seating issues will likely sort out somewhat.

But it is a huge mistake, in my opinion, to not have at least some student seating on a sideline. If you care about homecourt advantage, that's just an obvious thing to do. Regrettable....
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Brooks and Theme-love between them had one assist and eight turnovers. Murphy had four assists and no turnovers. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2017/11 ... pener.aspx

Lowery played one minute. This greatly belies his high school performance; what is up?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball