2018 Recruiting

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: 2018 Recruiting

Postby lawdog on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Here it is. Expect great things. https://twitter.com/ryanlarson_11?lang=en

Have some excellent backcourt talent on our team right now.

http://youtu.be/9Ow1joZ-HKk Several good Larson videos.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm

Apparently Drew Cottrell out of Gainesville, GA (Lakeview Academy) has committed to play hoops for us. Not sure if this is Scholly/Non-Scholly? His Dad was his HS Coach which is always a plus.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm

First team Ga. Class A private school player. Hard worker and good stats; fine student. Cottrell is a big name in basketball and coaching in Western NC high schools and at WCU. I am guessing he got significant academic aid. https://twitter.com/lakeviewacademy?lang=en

https://bigshots.net/recruiting-profile ... cademy-ga/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Another quality guy in our camp!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 pm

Dishon Lowery is transferring. Looks like we have one more scholarship to give, unless it was given to Cottrell.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:43 pm

We have another signee, Isaiah Bigelow, 6'7" Guard from Greensboro, averaged 18 pts, 10 boards per game

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6788268/Isaiah-Bigelow
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Bigelow is a talented and versatile player. Second team all state, all divisions. Hard worker. Had been a verbal commit of UNCC. Very competitive HS and AAU environment and teams. Should be a great fit as a Terrier.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:57 pm

lawdog wrote:Dishon Lowery is transferring. Looks like we have one more scholarship to give, unless it was given to Cottrell.

This is not surprising concerning Lowery. It seemed more and more like he did not fit into a prominent future plans. Good luck to him. But it seems like with have some quality signees coming aboard. Hopefully they can make our team stronger and deeper. And hopefully they can play good defense.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:59 pm

Lowery makes the 3rd player to transfer out of that class. I don't really like seeing that at Wofford, and I kind of wonder what's up.

In any case, I think this Bigelow guy may be quite a player. A 6-7 wing, good shooter, solid athlete. I'm figuring he played against high-level competition in high school. Sounds like a player who might push for playing time right away.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:00 pm

Unfortunately the transfers in and out have become too much a way of life at the D1 level. Kids come in and want to play, and when they get beat out they are disappointed and want to leave. That's a natural thing. In reality there are about 8 players on any team that figure into the team's game plan; and often the last two or three are upperclassmen. For the team, in virtually any league, it is better for the disgruntled player to be gone than be the apple that taints the team. There are a number of recruits that the coaches hope can pan out when they agree to sign them; knowing full well that it will take a lot for some to make it at Wofford. The NCAA stats don't reflect the number of players who started their career at a school but transferred out. If that were a stat kept, Duke would look pretty bad. But the coaches in charge of the NCAA records, in order to make themselves look good, only keep stats on players that stay for their whole eligibility-unless their academic record is a good one. It's a tough business, and you had best believe it is a business.
Now, if we were losing starters transferring out (see Wake Forest) it would be a real cause for concern.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:25 pm

I agree with all that above. And, yeah, I don't think there's some major problem in the program or something. But I guess I wonder if our coaching staff mis-evaluated some players in that class....or talked up possible playing time prematurely just a little. I don't know. I figure that coaches kind of recruit 3 types of players: guys who they expect to start at some point, maybe early; players who are likely to be reserves their entire careers; and those who are sort of harder to figure, might develop into major contributors or might not. It could be that at the mid-major level, it's a little tougher to tell because so many of the recruits are still developing (as compared to ACC-level recruits) and maybe the coaches don't have a chance to see them play just bunches of times (I doubt Mike Young can put an assistant coach on an airplane whenever he feels like it....ACC coaches probably can, and maybe a few mid-majors here and there can [like Davidson, I figure]). I also realize that sometimes coaches foresee a need at a certain position or area of play and offer scholarships to several players...and that casting a wide net can yield good results, but also can be a little hit-and-miss.

Anyway, I think Mike Young and his staff have shown a good eye for talent over the years. And, yeah, kids want playing time and there are only so many minutes to go around. I just don't love seeing transfers happening.

All that said, I'm thinking this Bigelow kid might be a real player....I'm excited to see him play for Wofford!
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:14 am

Have to believe that at Wofford, with a few exceptions, recruiting is a real crap shoot. If a player is REALLY good he will be recruited by the big boys, and the only way he comes to us is if the big boys don't want him. With all the camps and AAU leagues and other ways to see players, there are few sleepers. There are exceptions, but I would imagine that is the rule. When a recruit is MUCH better than believed it is a big exception. The bigger the school the more often it seems that they are willing to take players and run them off if it doesn't work out. For Duke (for example) it appears that it is a tryout situation. This year they have 5-6 leaving early for the pros, so they get to bring in 6-8 new ones. If one or two don't work out they will run them off and bring in more tryouts. That is quite a luxury.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:47 am

There is more talent out there than ever, and with AAU, technology, etc. more opportunity for a kid to improve and for his talents to be appreciated. But, there is also more mobility for a recruited player to move on than in the past, if the first stop does not work out. The whole thing is just more fluid, and no school is exempt.

The good news is we offer a valuable product and opportunity and we have a clear sense of what we are looking for. We are competing well in this environment. It speaks volumes the way we were able to recruit and sign this decommit from UNCC so late in the recruiting season ... great job!

Our recruiting is not exactly a crap shoot, in my view, although recruiting “heart” - like Skinner and Dahlman had - is not a measurable and can be serendipitous - and invaluable for a team. Bottom line: our talent and experience level will be high when this season starts.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:56 am

Saw on Twitter this weekend that we have a Commitment from Messiah Jones, 6'5" Wing from Chicago Simeon which is a legendary program in the Windy City. Originally was committed to Drake U. but has changed to us. Not sure how we are signing all these guys but bring 'em on!
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:57 am

Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Men's Basketball