Page 1 of 3

2017-18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:07 pm
by lawdog
Realizing that things can change, it is interesting to think about what our starting team may look like next year. Magee, Jackson, and Pegram are locks. Hoover is very likely. Brooks and Theme-Love will compete for the other spot; Brooks will be a senior and showed flashes toward the end of the season, with improved ball handling and shooting, but he must be consistent and reliable, and it would be great if he could spur some defensive toughness, which was lacking on occasion this year. Dishon Lowery should be early off the bench, and the two (at this point) promising new recruits should see some early PT. If Stumpe is fully healthy he could help out. Do not know much about Manning, but he would appear to show real promise as a defender and around the basket.

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:35 pm
by woffordgrad94
lawdog wrote:Realizing that things can change, it is interesting to think about what our starting team may look like next year. Magee, Jackson, and Pegram are locks. Hoover is very likely. Brooks and Theme-Love will compete for the other spot; Brooks will be a senior and showed flashes toward the end of the season, with improved ball handling and shooting, but he must be consistent and reliable, and it would be great if he could spur some defensive toughness, which was lacking on occasion this year. Dishon Lowery should be early off the bench, and the two (at this point) promising new recruits should see some early PT. If Stumpe is fully healthy he could help out. Do not know much about Manning, but he would appear to show real promise as a defender and around the basket.

The biggest question mark has to be point guard play. If a combination of Brooks, Theme-Love, and Storm Murphy can do a good job there, Pegram continues the upswing he showed late in this season, and Lowery and newcomers Manning and Keve Alumi can provide solid contributions off the bench, it could be a special year. Magee, Jackson, and maybe Hoover will be bona fide stars. I am excited for this team. We have a chance to be very good.

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm
by Terrier NH Dude
And where would Zion line up? Never know...

http://www.goupstate.com/sports/2017031 ... pipe-dream

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:59 pm
by woffordgrad94
Zion would line up anywhere he wanted to.

Seriously, there is a chance Zion might play in the JRIS. But it would most likely be as a memeber of the South Carolina Gamecocks. Still, there's nothing wrong with wishing and hoping.

And if the team is confident with what we have with Brooks and Theme-Love, is it possible that we might redshirt Storm Murphy? And if we like Jackson, Lowery, Manning, and Pegram, is it possible we redshirt Keve? Since we lost two guys unexpectedly to transfers, it might be tough to do any redshirtting if we don't sign anyone else though. I like the idea of developing players through redshirtting if we can do it, though. I believe we can always burn that redshirt in the event of an injury. Still, we don't want to be too thin. I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions...they're tough.

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 pm
by lawdog
2017-18 roster up. Seven players 6-6 or better. http://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx? ... oster=273&

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:27 am
by youngterrier
only one senior. wow.

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:18 am
by boulder3m
Confirmation of what was previously mentioned on the site: UNC will play AT Wofford on Dec 20!

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:04 pm
by Art Vandalay
boulder3m wrote:Confirmation of what was previously mentioned on the site: UNC will play AT Wofford on Dec 20!


The UNC web site is showing that Dec. 20th, 2017 game at the Smith center. It's my understanding UNC will visit Wofford in 2018.

http://goheels.com/news/2017/7/21/mens- ... edule.aspx

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:52 pm
by boulder3m
The Greensboro twitter got it wrong. Glad that game is in '18. Perfect for our team, which by then will feature a local high schooler!

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:03 pm
by Art Vandalay
boulder3m wrote:The Greensboro twitter got it wrong. Glad that game is in '18. Perfect for our team, which by then will feature a local high schooler!


+1

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 pm
by youngterrier
I've said it once and I'll say it again...the aggregate talent and height of our players is better than it was 5 years ago.

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:25 am
by Ruckus
Height, yes; talent/skill/ability level, no. Not saying we are bad but we don't defend or rebound in the same universe as those championship teams.

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:00 am
by drpnut
What Ruck said!

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 am
by drpnut
I know many of us have dreamed/fantasized about Zion signing with us. I really wonder if our Coaches are recruiting him hard or are they taking the "there is no way we can signing him." Or could it be the "one and done" thing. I'm of the thought pattern why not play for the home town team? He could help take us past the first round of the Dance and make even a more compelling story than going to one of the Bigs. He will be in the top 3 picks no matter where he goes to school, so why not just stay home. Of course, us older dudes think differently than the young pups

Re: 2017-18

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:21 pm
by lawdog
Ruckus wrote:Height, yes; talent/skill/ability level, no. Not saying we are bad but we don't defend or rebound in the same universe as those championship teams.


Good point. However, it is time to improve our defense, no excuses. It should start with Brooks, Magee, Hoover, Lowery, Alema, Manning, and Murphy.