Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Mercer 12/31

Postby Hobo on Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:24 pm

Great win by 15! 1-0 in the SoCon!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: Mercer 12/31

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:03 pm

I am embarrassed to say that I forgot there was a game today. But it looks like a good win...Mercer is always pretty good. Eric Garcia scored a career high 31 including a perfect 16 of 16 at the foul line...impressive! Savell and Jackson were solid, both scring in double figures.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:57 pm

Really enjoyed watching our guys do their thing this afternoon. We came out storming and really never stopped. That big lead early is always hard to handle psychologically. Mercer is well coached and has good players, and they weren't going to miss everything all game. Our Wofford team is really beginning to play well together. Our bigs-especially Sawvell, Cam and Pegram, did some really good things, and will be necessary if we are to become a conference contender. Fletcher has gone missing in several ways. Maybe it's just a Soph slump, but he will work it out. I really sat and watched Eric Garcia in amazement. It seems like only yesterday he came off the bench and took over the point to turn around a floundering team that eventually won the conference. He did a great job then, but he has really built his game. I know he scored 31, but his assists/turnovers is amazing, and he has gotten so smart both with and without the ball. When Fletcher heats up again offensively his scoring will probably back off, but he is really on a run. What a pleasure to watch these guys come together. Our last 4-5 games have been VERY good. It would be fun to see a large crowd show up for the game on Monday night against The Citadel.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:33 pm

I was there with the missus. We played very well. Garcia was on fire. But to me the key is Cam - on both ends of the court. He (and Sawvell) played very well today. Fletcher is drawing a lot of attention. He will be fine.
I think we are beginning to see the benefit of MY settling on his rotation. We did lots of good things today.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:48 pm

20 assists to 7 turnovers, 26 for 30 on FT's ... wow.
Ruck and Boulder, how was our D?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Cam had about 3-4 blocks. Sawvell rebounded well. We couldn't really stop Strawberry and Holland. They didn't get many points inside. They were cold to start, lots of TOs and missed shots. But Strawberry and Holland turned them around in 2nd half. Too late though, damage was done. Plus they couldn't stop EG. We had some nice sequences and pushed the break several times.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Nothing new, really. If we can get penetration from the guards we can win any conference game. Without it we become a one dimensional team and have to shoot a really high percentage from outside. Penetrate, dish and watch Cam and Ryan score it. Then when they collapse we can score it outside. It all starts on the defensive end of the floor; always has and always will.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:23 am

I'm hoping Pegram can eventually adjust his play and not foul as much.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:19 am

I am hoping the pitiful SoCon refs will adjust their competency in calling games. Pegram and Cam were called for some real ticky tack/no advantage from minor contact type fouls.
I truly think Pegram has a reputation they are perpetuating.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:38 pm

Unfortunately it is the way of the land. In high school they all want to be point guards and they reach way too much and never have to worry about defending straight up, because there is no one else their size on the other team. Once they get to college the play is so quick and fast that a reach by a big man is obvious (re: large plane landing vs small one). It is extremely rare that a big man doesn't reach or plays vertically. The only one I have ever seen as a freshman was Tim Duncan, who had virtually no experience playing. The AAU and elite teams that the kids these days join are totally guard oriented and scoring dominated. Ask any coach at the college level and he will tell you that they have to virtually wipe the memory clean and start over. The college coaches hate the AAU teams and players because it is "all star game" type of basketball designated to let the stars and ball hawks shine. There is almost a penalty for playing defense in those games!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball