Allen game

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Allen game

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:49 pm

It's nice we blew them out and scored well over 100. It's nice a lot of guys got playing time. But if we don't shore up the defense we arem't going to be successful in the conference.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Allen game

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:06 am

I don't see a lockdown defender in the F group like I was hoping. Love, Lowery, JTucker look to be the real thing. Hoover is a great shooter.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Allen

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:21 am

The two games we've played so far really do not give us that strong of a barometer to go on, but what kind of year do you think we will realistically have? Will it be a contend for a conference title kind of year, or more of n up nd down wit 'til next year rebuilding year? While we do have veteran leadership in guys like Garcia, Sawvell, and Allen, we also have a number of very young guys that we will be depending a lot on...there are six freshmen on the roster, many of which could play significant minutes. They will have to mature quickly. And while we have some deadeye shooters like Fletcher McGee, there are questions as to how effective we will be inside...Cam Jackson look primed for a breakout but what else will we get? And then there's the defense. This is the area in which we really need to step it up. Giving up almost 80 points to Allen is not what we've come to expect from Terrier hoops. But we also have in my mind the best coach in the conference in Mike Young...I have confidence that he will figure it out and this young but very tlented team will wiin a lot of games and finish in the upper echelon of the SoCon. The tournament we have starting Monday will reveal a good bit...we start with an always tough Vermont team...they are often in the NCAAs.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:37 am

Wouldn't worry about the 77 points given up to Allen. Had 4 freshman on the floor for much of the end of each half and when you are up by 40, defense becomes less of a priority. I remember giving up a lot of points early last year as well and when conference play rolled around, we were back to lock down on defense. Part of that is likely familiarity with our conference brethren and their styles of play but I also think MY likes to see what he's got on his team early and realizes it is more important for some of these guys to get floor time early so that it helps us down the stretch. We are still not at a place as a program where we will earn an at-large bid to the Tourney, so MY knows he has to win the conference tournament to get in and everything he does in the non-conference season has everything to do with conference play. I suspect you will see a lot of young guys getting a lot of run early in the year against the big boys as a result.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:55 am

I didn't see any lock down defense last year at all which is why we finished where we did and when we did. WCU, UTC, ETSU, FU, even UNCG scored at will on us.
Still don't have that defensive stopper, esp. on the perimeter (like Rundles, Diggs, Cochran). Looks like we are getting guys that are pretty good offensively and making the trade off on D.
I think we are too young this year, so we will be up and down much like last year. Still a lot of question marks: Allen still looks to be dealing with an ankle issue (although he played lights out Tuesday), Pegram still has some foul issues (Refs look to be targeting him a bit), Magee (and Allen and Brooks and Garcia) has got to defend better (he obviously has hit the weight room; he looks much stronger), and Sawvell needs to step up on both ends and make an impact (he is long and very athletic). Jackson has got to stay out of foul trouble. We shoot it well but I would like to see us attack the basket better. Brooks has got to give us productive minutes on both ends of the court. Stumpe looks to be the odd man out.
Love impressed me with his handle and maturity; has obviously played a lot of good competition and he looks comfortable. He is a pleasant surprise and has a nice stroke too. JTucker is bigger than I thought; plays well on both ends of the court but is a tweener (not a true post player nor true perimeter guy; like Sawvell). Lowery is a man-child; strong, space eater inside. Needs some work defensively and with his back to the basket. Hoover looks like instant O; good shooter and passer but weak defensively. Needs to get a lot stronger.
Next year is our year I think; but wish EG was back to lead us. EG looks dialed in. This is his team and teams tend to take on the character of their leaders; which bodes well for us. We are just so young after the first 6 or so.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Ruck,

Your point is well taken - in looking at scoring stats from the last 2 years - in '15-'16 we gave up 71 ppg compared to just under 60 ppg from '14='15. Obviously with the change in the shot clock that was going to take a little hit in PPG allowed. Conversely on offense we went from 66 ppg in 14-15 up to 71 ppg last year. It certainly makes me wonder if recruiting will start being geared towards offensive production partly due to the shot clock change. I think this team will be close to the top in the nation for 3 pt percentage again but can we play enough D to make that really a game changer for us. Time will tell, but I do know that I have seen some Wofford teams that struggled to get good looks for whole games and shoot around 35-40% from the field on a regular basis. This should not be one of those teams. That said, we allowed WAY too much dribble penetration the other night and that will kill us against teams like ETSU and Chatty.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Agree Atldog. Dribble penetration in particular has really been a problem. It killed us in a number of games last year. Diggs, Skinner, Dahlman, et al did not allow that. Part is attitude, part is coaching emphasis.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:09 pm

IMO Brooks should be one answer to that dribble penetration. He is a freak of an athlete (boy, would he look really good at CB or QB --- but I digress).
The other is how we defend it. We used to hedge really hard with our big in the ball screen then switch. The difference maybe how athletic our bigs used to be. Skinner was a master at it.
We flat could not guard Croome or Sibley from FU or the UTC guards/wings with the dribble penetration. Even v Allen we had trouble with it.
I had no idea about our stats but I know what I see; and I see and have seen a good offensive team but another very very average defensive team. The shot clock change may surely affect that......and our recruiting. Good point.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball