@ VMI, 2/7 1PM

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: @ VMI, 2/7 1PM

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:59 pm

Terrier13 wrote:The difference between the 1st half was our continued turnovers and their 3 pt shooting. They went 3-7 for the first half and 7-17 in the second half (that's including the last second prayer shot so maybe we can say 7-16). They shot really well going down the stretch and we had difficulty breaking the press (again). One thing that I noticed we did in the 1st half but, almost inexplicably, stopped doing in the 2nd half was we would break the press and have a 2 on 1 advantage and there were multiple times that we pulled it out to set up the offense instead of playing the advantage. I know MY wants to slow the game down and play methodically but you have to think a couple easy buckets in transition off the press break would give the Keydets pause about running their press quite so aggressively because it worked in the 1st half. These last second victories are great as long as we get the W but I'm afraid it's gonna cost us another game this season in addition to the one we lost in Charleston. Hope I'm wrong though.

+1
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:21 pm

WTFan wrote:And Western beats Chatty. Two game lead in SOCON!!20-5 overall ; 11-1 in conference. Not too shabby!!

It is nice that WCU could help out. Win Thursday and we can really put some distance between us and Chatty. I think Mercer is our main competition for the regular season title. Getting that #1 seed is important in that we are more likely to avoid the better teams in the tourney. And 20 wins for the 4th time in 6 years (with 19 one of those other years) is impressive. It shows just how much this program has turned around. The culture now surrounding Wofford Men's Basketball is totally different than it was 7 years ago. But due to that culture, I think everyone is in agreement that anything less than another NCAA bid would constitute a disappointment.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:46 pm

I agree that the regular season championship is the next goal up and then the conference tournament, but another thing to consider is winning the regualr season locks us into the NIT if we don't win the conference tournament. I don't want to go to the NIT anymore than anyone else, but I doubt we get an NIT bid if we finish #2 on the SoCon and then don't win the tournament and the NIT is certainly better than the CIT or CBI.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I agree that the regular season championship is the next goal up and then the conference tournament, but another thing to consider is winning the regualr season locks us into the NIT if we don't win the conference tournament. I don't want to go to the NIT anymore than anyone else, but I doubt we get an NIT bid if we finish #2 on the SoCon and then don't win the tournament and the NIT is certainly better than the CIT or CBI.

Yep, another reason why finishing first is so important. I agree that if we don't win the SoCon regular season we don't get an NIT bid. And I would much rather play in the NIT and have our games on ESPN than play in one of the lesser known postseason tournaments. We would still get some national exposure. Plus, though it's doubtful we'd get an NIT home game, but there could be a slight chance of that appending in the second round if first round upsets occurred.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball