Samford 1/10

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Samford 1/10

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:30 pm

I am planning on attending this one. I hope it's not a nailbiter. I am not sure how Garcia is recovering, but I think they team could compensate without him for this game and give him a week off before next Thursday's game.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Re: Samford 1/10

Postby youngterrier on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:13 pm

Garcia isn't more hurt than he has been, unless something was reported in the post game show the other day that I haven't heard.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't know anything either ^, but I figured it would be a good opportunity to rest him and get him back to 100% if needed. Plus, I think his jaw is scheduled to be un-wired for the Citadel game.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:08 pm

He's beat up head to toe and has obviously lost weight. He really has shown toughness when we needed it. I'm sure he has the respect of his whole team and all Wofford fans. Meanwhile, we have to find a couple of guys-one vet and one rookie-to step in and shore us up in a press game. Sammy will try to to make it tough on our replacements.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:57 pm

Eric is in street clothes wearing a boot.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:06 pm

This was a good win. I didn't like this situation at all. Garcia out; Skinner sick; and we're playing a team that wants to press all over the court. We weathered a shaky start again, and some real foul trouble late. The SoCon refs are very proud of their new whistles, and blew them often. It was fun to watch Skinner's leadership in this game-and it was needed. We got Collins and Gordon going again, which is very necessary. All in all it was an "experienced" win, done methodically by a team that has the confidence not to panic or get out of sync in a game that almost forces that. We have a few days off before going down to play a pretty good Citadel team. Chatty pulled out an OT win at ETSU this afternoon. All others have at least 2 losses. A four and zero start to the conference is big. we just need to get all involved. There are still 14 (yep!) regular season conference games to play. Win at home and steal them on the road! By the way, it looked like a pretty good crowd- fans and students. Good for you who went.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:28 pm

It was a great crowd, and we got loud in the second half in response to bad call after bad call. And the team got mad, decided enough was enough and put the game away. I echo what Boulder said above, and how about the play of Neumann. He comes to play every night and had 7 boards and 3 assists. He kept Cameron on the bench even.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:01 pm

After further review...Mercer still has only one loss also. Keep grinding it out.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:05 pm

I could not believe the fouls called. I don't know how we won that game with the refs, Garcia out and Skinner sick. And Samford seemed to be playing well. They did not miss very many FTs at all - maybe 2. Neumann is really coming into his own. There was one possession by the Terriers late in the game when it was really close and we definitely needed a bucket. Neumann got two offensive rebounds in that possession and kept it alive.
Loyalterrier

Postby youngterrier on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:04 am

I was surprised that Cam Jackson was kept on the bench in spite of all the players in foul trouble. It seemed that everyone but Collins and Gordon had 3+ fouls
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:19 am

One never knows the interior dynamics of a team. There had to be a reason why Jackson didn't play-especially considering that Skinner was getting sick. By the way, Karl Cochran does a great job of leadership also. Many times he was seen talking to his teammates after play stopped, and making sure all were on the same page. The true success of this team will come from its leadership. Our talent is not superior to the league, but our leadership may be. Basketball, as much as any team sport, is about all being on the same page and playing for the TEAM. These guys have bought into that and play for each other. It is fun to watch.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 am

Was there last night. Samford has 2 true freshmen who are special to go with their 6'10 big. They will be a tough out come tourney time (as will VMI). Refs kept them in it for much of the game with multiple missed travels and some flat out poor calls. I have never seen refs hang around on the court at half waiting for a stat sheet. Why do refs need a stat sheet, esp. At half?
Their press was a problem for us early although we were able to break it and had few TOs it kept us out of our rhythm and flow offensively. We made some nice adjustments at half and switched KC on their freshman PG. Justin , Lee and CJ defended well in second half. Hats off to those guys. CJ and Spencer have really stepped their defense lately and it was nice to see Them rewarded with some points on the other end. Our guys are so unselfish. The maturity and leadership of our seniors is obvious.
Brooks still looks uncomfortable at the point but he really shines in transition with his athleticism. He is learning our philosophy on the fly. I would like to see us get him in more one on one situations.
Great crowd again. We are sure to drop a conference game or 2 but we need to peak closer to tourney time. Teams are gunning for us, much like football where we have big target on our backs.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:34 pm

One frustration I've had with the repeated press we've seen in conference play is we can pretty easily break the press but rather than pressing the advantage, once we get it across half court, we immediately pull back to setup our half court offense. I know MY doesn't want to speed up the game too much but you have to think a few easy layups and dunks would discourage the pressure we're seeing. Without the risk of getting burned for easy points, the defense never has an incentive to stop the full court pressure. We did better in this game stayingn aggressive but this remains a frustrating trend I've noticed the first four games of conference play.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:36 pm

It seems to be clear now that ETSU, Chatty and Mercer are going to be the teams we have to beat to win regular season championship and get the top tourney seed. We have 2 games with both ETSU and Mercer and one left with Chatty. Some incredibly exciting basketball to look forward to.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:51 pm

I think that Western is still a pretty good team as well. In the next couple of weeks the league will separate itself out pretty cleanly. It does appear that the top four are starting to appear clearly. It is hard not to fear the Saturday night SoCon refs, regardless of the venue.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball