W. Va.

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: W. Va.

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:52 pm

the game is on fox sports south
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:03 pm

I have heard now that it is on Root Network, Direct TV, around Channel 615.

I would expect a lot of defensive pressure from both teams.

The Staton/Cochrane matchup will be important. The spread is 9-11.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:33 pm

My Fox Sports South has the Hornets game. Unless it is not correctly shown on the guide, I guess Time Warner in NC is not showing it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:36 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Not good ... down 15-2; more turnovers in the first seven minutes than we had in the entire State game.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 pm

We didn't bring the right team. Need TO and the football team! Getting beat up and beaten on the glass badly.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:08 pm

We're getting demolished. 56-25 in the second half. This is on coaching, we look totally unprepared for the full court press.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:17 pm

And I thought we might actually belong with the big boys. Silly me. Maybe I should learn not to get my hopes up so high, because I just get let down. The Duke game will likely be quite ugly to watch (it is on FOX Sports South by the way). We most likely don't belong on that court yet. We are probably about equal to a lower tier ACC team such as Clemson right about now. So in my estimation there is still work to be done if we really want to be a truly great mid-major program. Hopefully we haven't maxed out on our ability as a program. We'll see what the future brings. But games like this make me doubt our chances in a first round NCAA tournament game against what will likely be a top 3 seed (I am assuming that we get there; to not do so would be a massive disappointment). Maybe my hopes and goals for this program are becoming too unrealistic. But you know how it is. The more success you taste, the more you want. It's the nature of man.

I guess we have to put this one behind us and have a Merry Christmas. I wish everyone the best for their holiday.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 pm

77-44 Gulp..

Obviously not the same team who played at Raleigh. OK;the ugly loss is out of the way early. Christmas break will do us good. New Year's Eve afternoon is an opportunity for redemption.
Granted Duke is tough + Cameron and stuff; but, I anticipate a different energy level, focus and performance from the Old Gold & Black.

And I realize Coach Huggins has to do his thing; however, when was the last time a team with a 30+ point lead was pressing full court with 6 or 7 minutes to go?

Saw Karl Cochran get a time out maybe for injury with about 5 minutes? Was looking at his left hand. And Todd sent a tweet that Eric got hit in the jaw/possible concussion. Hope neither is serious.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to Terrier Nation.
WoCo NH Dude

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:17 pm

Bob Huggins is a jerk. Always has been. He is a lot like Bobby Knight when it comes to personality. I hgope Karl and Eric are okay. We can ill afford to lose either of them.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:42 pm

http://talkinterriers.blogspot.com/2014 ... -than.html

What killed me (and the Terriers) was the unusually-large amount of turnovers (21). In games like this, it's easy to lose track of your head and keep a handle on things. WVU was making shots from all over the place, putting immense pressure on defense, and we just got frankly overwhelmed at times. Thing is, in February/March, we're likely not going to look back on this game and regret anything. Good experience for a couple of guys who haven't seen action in awhile (Korkowski, Bobby Perez--might be first time?); MY said in his postgame interview that Garcia and Cochran both should be O.K., but I'm hearing Eric may have a jaw fracture (Cochran just hit his funny bone, apparently). Hope nothing's too serious and it all heals up quickly. Terriers get four days off, then it's back to the grind, and that means Duke.

And hey, 9-3. That's nothing to be ashamed of.

Hope everyone has a merry Christmas.
-AR
ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:50 pm

I'm not reading a lot into this. Wofford shot poorly and got hammered on the boards. West Virginia is a quality team that is very physical. NC State struggled with them just a few days ago. While this loss looks bad on paper, it's probably just the worst case scenario of this matchup. If the Terriers play the Mountaineers 10 times, the other nine would likely be closer. For that matter, if we played State 10 times we might only win a couple of them. We have a great team, but quality power conference teams have such a size and athleticism advantage it is foolish to think we can compete every time out. That being said, I think we can compete every time out in the SoCon so that is the true test at this point. If we can win the conference and get back to the tournament then who knows what can happen. We almost caught lightening in a bottle against Wisconsin. Just earn the shot and then see what happens.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:26 am

WVU is a very good team; they will be top ten when all is said and done. Their pressure defense and depth are exceptional - some of the best I have seen, and it will cause a lot of people problems. And they took us very seriously, which is a compliment to us. Tonight we were not going to beat WVU; they gained the momentum and did not lose it.

We have a very good team and will have an excellent season. We learned a lot tonight and this game will serve us well.

http://woffordterriers.com/news/2014/12 ... ath=mbball
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:10 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball