W. Va.

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

W. Va.

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Looks like we will have our hands full with the Mountaineers. Their only loss was against LSU. They hung 103 on VMI and beat C of C by 30.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Re: W. Va.

Postby Loyalterrier on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:12 pm

WVU plays NC State Saturday night. Home game for WVU. Interesting game to watch. on espn2
Loyalterrier

Postby boulder3m on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:42 am

WVa beat NC State rather handily on Sat night. Honestly, State played a rather undisciplined and ratty looking game, with poor shot selection and very little defense. State has fallen in the BPI down to #35, while WVa has risen to #12. We have slipped a little, mostly because of NC State's slide, down to #90. Notable from posts on our site is that Davidson is #34 and in a solid position to retain a high rating because of their move to the A10. The old adage is confirmed; to be the best you have to play the best-and beat them on a regular basis. So, with 10 days remaining in 2014 we have two games remaining against #12 and #3 in the BPI, which probably is the best and most reliable of the rating systems. Interestingly, in the RPI, which is one of the systems used by the NCAA, we are #59 and Davidson is #58. WVa is still way in front of us, although not as high as the BPI. None mean anything, except that they are opportunities for us to get more national recognition.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:19 pm

WVU is good, but this is certainly a winnable game. Last time we played them, we were up at the half but we let them jump on us in the second half..

Copious notes. http://woffordterriers.com/documents/20 ... _Notes.pdf
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby ARTerrier on Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:10 pm

ARTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 pm

here is a prediction that says WVU will win by 9 points http://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa- ... edictions/ Wofford is far down the page
Loyalterrier

Postby WoCo NH Dude on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Comments from WV blog and Coach Huggins:

http://www.wvusports.com/blogs.cfm?blog ... tory=27126
WoCo NH Dude

Postby woffordgrad94 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 am

boulder3m wrote:WVa beat NC State rather handily on Sat night. Honestly, State played a rather undisciplined and ratty looking game, with poor shot selection and very little defense. State has fallen in the BPI down to #35, while WVa has risen to #12. We have slipped a little, mostly because of NC State's slide, down to #90. Notable from posts on our site is that Davidson is #34 and in a solid position to retain a high rating because of their move to the A10. The old adage is confirmed; to be the best you have to play the best-and beat them on a regular basis. So, with 10 days remaining in 2014 we have two games remaining against #12 and #3 in the BPI, which probably is the best and most reliable of the rating systems. Interestingly, in the RPI, which is one of the systems used by the NCAA, we are #59 and Davidson is #58. WVa is still way in front of us, although not as high as the BPI. None mean anything, except that they are opportunities for us to get more national recognition.

Are you suggesting we leave the SoCon as Davidson did and move to a higher BPI conference? Due to football concerns, that move would be much more difficult for Wofford to make.

Also, we may not beat West Virginia, but I bet we don't surrender 80+ points to them either. Our defense gives us a chance to keep it close and potentially pull an upset if we can shoot it well.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:30 am

Wofford needs to be in a conference that can support all our sports. Being in a combination of conferences to accommodate football, basketball and everything else like many FCS programs are shouldn't be considered a good solution. We need to get back to a place where we know who's going to be on our schedule and develop rivalries with them to increase interest and attendance while minimizing travel expenses.

Davidson can have the A-10. I hope they have a good experience, but I am through worrying about them and their overactive egos.

Good things are on the horizon for Wofford basketball. I am much more concerned about watching us reach our potential and grow into the program we are on course to become rather than worrying about schools that aren't interested in partnering with us anymore or figuring out how we can be the next Butler, VCU, George Mason or whoever. The Terriers are on pace to make their own mark and it will be a lot of fun to see how it all plays out.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:34 am

As for West Virginia, they are a very good team and will present challenges for us. If we can shoot the ball well, avoid turnovers, defend like we have been and dictate the pace of the game then we have a great opportunity to be close enough at the end to have a shot. Just give us the NC State scenario again and I will be happy. An inbounds pass with 6 seconds to go and I like our chances.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 am

Anyone know if there is a live feed/stream for the game, or if it's on TV?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:08 pm

BigJohn94 wrote:Anyone know if there is a live feed/stream for the game, or if it's on TV?

Game notes lists the following. Not sure what WV Media is ?

TV: WV Media (Rob King, Warren Baker, Robbie Incmikoski)
Radio: Wofford IMG Sports Network (Mark Hauser, Thom Henson)
Flagships: The Source - WOLI-AM (105.7 FM & 910 AM) - Listen online at WOLI-AM.com
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:29 pm

BigJohn94 wrote:Anyone know if there is a live feed/stream for the game, or if it's on TV?

This looks to be the link for the game, and I am not seeing where they are wanting money for viewing. Maybe there stream is free!?
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=69100
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm

Tonight's game will be streamed at www.wvillustrated.com. I think either this or the preceding one works, and I think both are free.
Last edited by lawdog on Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:51 pm

Are we sure that link is a video stream or is it a stat stream (like ESPN Gamecast)? I checked out WV Media and the game will air on what seems to be public access channels in WV if anyone lives in WV or Western VA and wants to watch.

As for conference concerns, I think it's a bit premature to think about jumping conferences, especially with our football team affected by any changes as well. If we start consistently winning the SoCon, maybe it could become an issue but if that starts happening, I'm just gonna enjoy the wins and tourney appearances and let the conference stuff sort itself out.

As far as WV goes, rebounding and turnovers will define us. WV has a good defense so we probably won't shoot very well- we've got to makeup for that by getting second chance points and making the most of every possession (I think we only had 4 TO against State). If we play our game of smart play, we'll have a shot. WV is coming off a short turnaround playing late on Saturday night in NYC- they scheduled that game expecting us to be a cupcake but our guys believe we belong on the big stage after beating NC State so let's show the world what Terriers can do!
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball