Charleston Southern, 12/17

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Charleston Southern, 12/17

Postby Hobo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:46 pm

Defense and play off the bench (Neumann and allen both with 5 points each) got the Terriers back in it. It wasn't pretty but Wofford leads 27-26 at the half.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:25 pm

Up 48-37 with 9:07 left now.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Questionable whistles going against the Terriers- a couple on CJ out on the perimeter and just now against Eric.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Terriers win 64-58. Karl remains cold, but did everything else very well.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:02 pm

We lost an 11 point lead due to some hot three point shooting by CSU and found ourselves trailing with under 4 minutes left. You have to give the Bucs credit...they came in here and played us tough. But our guys dug deep and found a way to win in the end. Jaylen Allen is a great weapon off the bench. Eric Garcia was huge tonight. Karl Cochran will be there for us in the end. The refs did not distinguish themselves at all tonight...we definitely got no home court advantage from the men in stripes.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:06 pm

We have struggled from three point range a fair amount and were only 4 of 20 tonight... and one of those was an unintended bank by Garcia with a minute or so left! Yet we keep proving that defense wins games. Hats off to our boys for gutting this one out. Maybe we should have put this team away sooner, but it just as easily could have gone against us. Good win against an experienced CSU team that has already beaten Old Miss this season.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:15 pm

and Neumann got a dunk!
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:19 pm

One of the other big points is that our freshmen are getting quality playing time. We are going with 10 players and that is really going to be a big factor later in the season. Jackson continues to get in position for screens and block outs. He is going to get more and more PT and will make a difference. I'm not too bothered by the poor shooting. This team is winning with the intangibles and effort factors. Tim must be really schooling them on the things around the basket that make winners. CSU's little guard is the real deal. He drained some threes from way out that brought them back. Gordon once again didn't have the kind of game we are starting to expect, but we have a bunch of guys willing to do what it takes to win. I said before that in my wildest dreams I hoped that we could win 2 of the final four in 2014. Now I am looking for #3! Nobody sleeps when the little dogs creep!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:02 am

The way I see it, Chuck South is a quality opponent. I think their poor showing against NC State was more of a lapse that you see around this time of year with exam weeks and what not.

We played Wofford basketball, and ultimately that's what won it for us. I'll admit I felt a bit of urgency, but not concern until they tied it/went up in the final 4 minutes or so. They came out trying to pull an upset and you could tell when they were hot shooting that they thought this was a game in which they were the underdog based upon the reactions of their bench. I guess we should get used to it this season given how much hype is starting to surround us, especially if we give a decent showing against either of our next two opponents.

As it's already been pointed out, I think what's special about this team in comparison to championship-quality Wofford teams of the past is that we go deep personnel-wise. A lot of teams goes 7-8 people deep, but right now we're at 10. The starters are clearly Gordon, Cochran, Skinner, Garcia, and Collins, but throughout the game you see so many different personnel sets that you can't help but feel confident about our depth.

As for the rest of the season, I honestly don't care if we lose our next 2, we have nothing to lose in those games. I'm more concerned about the conference slate. What needs to be praised though is our 9-2 record, it's the best start/OOC record we've had since we went division 1 in 1995-1996. If we can run the table in the Socon and got 21-0 (including the tourney), we could be looking at a higher seed than what we normally get; maybe 10-12. With that said that's a very tall order, and conference play is always going to be tough. As good as we're playing though, it's hard to believe that this team got swept by 2 conference opponents last year or that we lost our home finale.

What makes this team different from years past, and perhaps it may be preemptive to say this as we're only 1/3 of the way through the season, is that we don't lose the dumb games. Even when Dahlman and Rundles, etc were playing for us, every year we had one or two games we played OOC that we lost and made us scratch our heads. Seeing as we're practically done with OOC, that just didn't really happen this year.

Even though this team personnel-wise is practically the same as it was last year, albeit with some fresh faces, we're much better due to our experience and the chemistry we've developed. We have a lot to be excited about.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:20 am

I know the SoCon has some low RPIs, and I know I'm looking far ahead and looking at a hypothetial situation that is unlikely to occur, but if we beat West Virginia, play Duke tough (sorry, but I just can't see us winning that one), run the table in the conference regular season schedule, then slip up and lose the SoCon tourney final and finish 30-4, we should be givin an NCAA at-large bid. They just can't put a 30 win team in the NIT. 30 wins should be an automatic bid to the NCAAs. And if this situation occurs and NC State (or West Virginny) got in as a bubble team and we didn't, I would be PISSED!

My dream is to get in as about a 10 seed and play a 7th seeded Butler or Davidson and knock their rear ends out!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:15 am

The recipe is simple. Win the conference tournament and we are in. Otherwise, almost certainly not. At this point, we control our own destiny and have to take what we want. The win at State (which looks even better with their convincing win tonight against Tennessee who just got done beating Butler) will help us with seeding if we get there, but it assures us nothing. One game at a time. On to West Virginia.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:21 am

It may not look it from the outside and uninformed but this is a huge win for us. I see it almost as big as the NCSU win but for different reasons. First CSU is a quality team having already beaten Ol Miss and WCU. Those guys were athletic and hungry. They smelled the upset hence after getting embarrassed in Raleigh. Second this was the trap game of trap games. You could tell we were gassed and didn't shoot it well. Our offensive rhythm was choppy most of the games. But we scrapped and defended and pulled it out. Championship teams find ways to win.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:52 am

This group has strong team leaders, experience, work ethic, and depth. There are talent, chemistry, and fine coaching too. We have a great chance to beat anyone. A pleasure to watch and be around.

Story, stats, video. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2014/12 ... ath=mbball
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball